Gracie's Story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gracie's Story

This is my baby girl. Someone appears to have DUMPED her in southern California (Orange County). She was running around in the hills for weeks and at the time, she was terrified of any and all people, so she was likely out a lot longer. She was skinny, starving, and extremely dehydrated. She would run away if you got within 60 feet of her, or if you uttered a word, she would also run. Neighbors who saw her as we were all trying to catch her, doubted she would survive another night due to her condition, and the massive heatwave taking place. Putting food and water out lured her out of the hills, and 3 weeks later I had her eating out of my hand, though still terrified of everyone. She would take the food, whimper and run. When we finally caught her, she decided she loved people after a few days though her anxiety was still there. Now several months later, she is stuck on me like glue...and she's a total sweetheart. She remains afraid of men, cringes if you raise your elbow/hand, and gets very scared if you walk her in the neighborhood...I assume it brings back memories of being lost and hungry, and re-traumatizes her. She absolutely knows what airplanes and helicopters are, looking up when they fly over or even when she hears one on tv. This has me wondering if her previous owner lived on or near the base. She doesn't eat food off the counter, won't go through a doorway unless you tell her it's ok, is potty trained, and knows what a toilet is for her to drink out of 😂, but she didn't appear to know how to walk on a leash. I looked everywhere for her owners, searching within a 180 mile radius for up to a year back, and found no one. She was not chipped, nor was she spayed. The vet estimated her age to be between 1.5-2 years, but based on her puppy like behavior, I think she was closer to 1. It is now well past the legal time span required for legal ownership, which is why I feel comfortable posting this now. I still wonder what happened to my poor baby and what her previous owners were like. I wonder if she had great owners, hence the training for counter surfing etc, was rehomed, and then dumped, which would explain her fear of men, fear of people, cringing, etc. She continues to scare easily and she has some cuts on her legs that have scarred. Her dew claws have been removed, and her jowls have the little fin/flare at the base. She now enjoys a very happy and pampered life where she is well loved, enjoys nearly daily trips to the dog park, and a spot on the couch with us. (Along with deer jerky, venison strips, Acana dog food, two beds, and numerous toys &#128514 She is my first dane, and I love her SO MUCH. ...I GOT A DANE.

* If you recognize Gracie and can shine light on her story, please let me know.

Pictures are in chronological order:

Skinny girl, even after being fed properly for weeks.

Her first day home. That face is priceless.

Continued...

Comment

Continued...

Comment

Congrats on your new baby, glad she has a great home now!
        sigpic
        Chaucey
        Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Aww - she has such a sweet face and pretty eyes! So glad she found you - she looks very happy now. 😊
          -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Good for you! She's lovely and she does look happy
            sigpicLisa
            Missing Mira (7/15/03-12/17/13)

Comment

Beautiful girl, and great photos! We have a rescue named Gracie as well. The best dog in the world! <3 Thank you for rescuing her and welcome to the forum!
              sigpic
              “Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.”

Comment

What a heart warming story!! I'm so glad that you found each other
                sigpicCelle: 7/1/14, my current problem child
                Chance: 9/3/05, the stray kitten that Jena brought home
                Jena: 6/2/99 - 10/6/09 R.l.P. my heart dog (merle GD)

Comment

Beautiful pictures, and great story. Glad you found her and rescued her. Welcome!
                  ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Such a happy ending for a girl who clearly deserves one!!! Thanks for having the patience and love to rescue her and show her what a home really is. She looks incredibly happy and seems to know she's loved!
                    sigpicKelly

Comment

Working...
                    X