cow hocked puppy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cow hocked puppy

My 9 month old puppy bitch is a little cow hocked. As a young puppy she was perfect. At about 6 months old she bacame cow hocked and was actually crossing over her back legs or interfering on the move. This has greatly improved. She now moves a little close behind and is a little cow hocked. Do you think it will continue to improve. She is fed a high quality low protein kibble and 1,000 mg of vit C every day. She is 33 3/4 ins. to the withers.:f

RE: cow hocked puppy

Exercize her on gravel or sand. This is what my breeder recommended & made a big difference in Elliott.
    Mitch

In Memory of Gabe. What he lacked in body he made up for in heart.
    Click here to see my boys
    [http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288799713]
    In the Chicagoland area? Click here to inquire about pet sitting & dog training
    http://www.knowplacepe

Comment

They always go from perfect to flawed to ugly, then back to gorgeous again. I wouldn't worry too much at this age. It's what we call the "puppy uglies". Keep up the low protein and the Vit C!
      Cat
      Mientcat Great Danes
      Member, Great Dane Club of Western PA

Comment

Just remember, not too much exercise...and never forced exercise at this age. No running, sliding on slippery (wood, ceramic, etc) floors where she can't get any traction...or so I was told. I'm not sure if it makes a difference. For what it's worth, my boy was like this from about 6 months old to about 12 months old. Was fine as a puppy and is fine as an adult. Many outgrow it...but some don't. I would ask your breeder on how s/he expects her to mature....
        Andre 1/23/2002 - 12/27/2009: I loved you all your life...and I shall miss you for the rest of mine.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the help. Her breeder reckons she will come right round about 12 months of age. I am road walking her every 2nd evening. A gentle pace for about 3 miles. Do you think this ok. The other evening I walk my 3 year old dane. I am getting mixed advice on the issue of exercise. Some say walk every night some say don't walk her at all. I have a 1 acre garden which she roams freely all day.:f

Comment

I think to let her roam your property is what I would do. I don't believe in much exercise until they are mature. I have never had a pup that went cow hocked come back to a good strong rear. Usually mine will mature out to move too close in the rear for what I want but not be cow hocked.

Comment

At the moment she is moving too close behind. At 9 months should it continue to improve, she is yet to settle back down into her angles. My gut feeling is that she will improve more and that I should take it real easy on the exercise. There has been an amazing transformation in her movement in the last 2 months. It was dreadful and yet as a younger puppy her movement was what drew me to her, it was so good.:f

Comment

It is best to go with what your breeder feels she will mature with as she is the only one who knows her lines. My boy eventually ended up with just about the same rear he had at 8 weeks old...he was not cow hocked then (or even close) and he isn't now...but he was in between. He never got all the angles back that he had as a pup but he did get some back as he matured.

I'd go with your instinct on the exercise too...every puppy enjoys a walk...but I think 3 miles is a bit much...even at every other day. At this age, we took Andre for 15 minute walks...steady pace...stopping and letting him sniff and potty along the way... and all the romping around in the backyard that he wanted.
                Andre 1/23/2002 - 12/27/2009: I loved you all your life...and I shall miss you for the rest of mine.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for your help again. I looked at your website Notredanes. The video was lovely and great to watch such a sound mover. I agree with your advice and will reduce the exercise. I feel, like Andre, she will regain the movement she had as a very young puppy. Also like Andre her front and rear angulation was to die for. I can see her improve by the week but 2 months ago I was really worried. It's very reassuring to hear from people like yourself. Thanks.}(

Comment

Did the parents and grand-parents have good rears??
                    You can improve a bad rear with various treatments..but only as much as genetics will let you.

Dee

sigpic

Comment

When did you start the walks? Has she been improving since you started? I would listen to your breeder before listening to us on here--no offense to anyone, but if you have a good breeder than they should know their lines better than anyone here does.

My dog has a sister that had a wonderful rear, but from lack of exercise is now cow hocked. She is the only one like this. She had a large yard to play in, but didn't really go out and play. They never took her for walks or make her exercise. Some dogs don't exercise themselves. Just a thought.

Meg
                      Meg
                      AeroDanes

Comment

Someone once told me...look at eight weeks and then close your eyes for a year. It was good advice cause if I were to analyze my boy every day as a growing pup, I would have driven myself MAD!! Ha ha!

So, try not to analyze too much right now and let her (and you) enjoy puppyhood cause the time goes by all too quickly....

sigpic

Comment

Could you share that info on how to improve a rear?

Comment

Yes I also would like the info on improving rear ends.

I suppose because of the mixed opinions on whether or not to exercise the safest bet would be to exercise on a very gentle and gradual scale. She has improved immensely over the last 6 weeks. I think it is in her genes to have a good rear with angulation and therefore good movement, I do think road walking helps things along but am very aware of the fact that she is only a baby at 9 months and would still be easily injured.

Gosh it's hard to know sometimes what to do for the best. I find all this debate and advice from others a great help.

Comment

>Could you share that info on how to improve a rear?

:9 :9 :9 :9 :9 Like I would know the secret to improve a rear.
                              IF I did..I'd be a Millionaire.

What I meant was previous suggestions...gentle exercisce and Vitamin C.
                              No road work at this age..and the biggie, Keep your fingers crossed and do alot of praying. That is if she was bought to show..if not cow hocks doesn't stop a dog from being a good pet.

Dee

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X