No announcement yet.

Winter is coming ❄️⛄️❄️

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the L which fit him perfectly last winter and still fits this winter but is shorter on his back (length wise). The sides are adjustable with velcro so it has a lot of give. I am away now but when I get home I can take a updated pic on Friday.
    This is the pic from last winter. sorry the quality is awful, it was dark in the room and he was still wearing the cone of shame
    Last edited by karenNJ; 11-23-2015, 09:32 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
      I just got a couple of Ruffwear Quinzee coats on sale on Amazon for Finn and Asaah. They're pretty decent and were pretty cheap, which is what I was looking for. I'm not springing for the Chilly Dogs coats unless we start doing something involving a lot of extended outside time in the winter. They were outside for an hour yesterday and were fine without coats. I don't think it gets cold enough in Indiana for a heavy coat. I don't use any boots either. Their paw pads are nice and thick to keep paws safe, and I have musher's secret to use. Although I don't have much salt to worry about here - we're lucky if our road gets plowed, let alone salted! Here's Asaah in her coat.
      [ATTACH]19525[/ATTACH]
      Did you get the XL?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by karenNJ View Post
        Did you get the XL?
        I'm at work now and I can check for sure when I get home from work, but I'm pretty sure I got the XL for both, and they fit both Finn and Asaah pretty well. The buckle part is kind of stretchy, so you can tighten it up, but there's still some flexibility. It's not super long on either one of them, but I don't really like coats that hang down over the tail. It's pretty lightweight, but pretty warm. It's kind of like a poofy jacket. If we were going to be out in below zero weather frequently I'd get something heavier, but this will work well for our weather in the teens and twenties for most of the winter. We don't spend a lot of time outside when it's much colder than that. They don't wear them out to pee either
        sigpic
        Chaucey
        Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Yes, I am looking for that poofy jacket material for when we go out because the fleece holds hair and I don't want him going into visits with a hairy coat.
          sigpic

Comment

Did you get the XL?
            Ok, they're both XLs and they fit both Finn and Asaah. Here's Finn in his.
            image.jpg
            sigpic
            Chaucey

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
              Ok, they're both XLs and they fit both Finn and Asaah. Here's Finn in his.
              [ATTACH]19533[/ATTACH]
              Finn looks very proud of himself! ☺️ Quick question: for those with 1+ dogs do they ever try to bite at each others jackets in play? Leading to ripping?
              -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Originally posted by lisacp75 View Post
                Finn looks very proud of himself! ☺️ Quick question: for those with 1+ dogs do they ever try to bite at each others jackets in play? Leading to ripping?
                Finn tried at first but we corrected that and they pretty much leave them alone. My two play really rough with each other though, so I wouldn't be surprised if the coats did get damaged eventually - another reason for me to get inexpensive ones. They don't really wear them all that often though. It hasn't been cold enough yet this year and I just got these coats.
                sigpic
                Chaucey

Comment

So, my boy is 17 weeks, which means he will be growing a LOT this winter. Any one have any suggestions for a cheap option, possibly homemade, for a coat? We live in North Dakota, so he is going to need something!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gustersmom View Post
                    So, my boy is 17 weeks, which means he will be growing a LOT this winter. Any one have any suggestions for a cheap option, possibly homemade, for a coat? We live in North Dakota, so he is going to need something!
                    I think I'd just put a sweatshirt on him and wrap something (vet wrap maybe or out some Velcro on a fleece band) around his belly to keep it up and out of the way
                    sigpic
                    Chaucey

Comment

For my first girl, I used a men's fleece jacket. One that zips all the way down. Also one that has a drawstring around the bottom and without a hood. I always had her step into the front sleeves, then actually put the jacket on backwards ... with the zipper running down her back, for easy access and the draw string cinched up tight around her waist. I used a small jacket until she out grew it. (I still wear it to this day) and then got her an XXL fluorescent orange jacket because of the hunters in my back woods, for the rest of her life .... 10 years. Only spent a few bucks at Walmart.
                      sigpicCelle: 7/1/14, my current problem child
                      Chance: 9/3/05, the stray kitten that Jena brought home
                      Jena: 6/2/99 - 10/6/09 R.l.P. my heart dog (merle GD)

Comment

A sweater works, like others have said! I have lent Peach my sweater at the barn a few times. I usually tie the arms across her chest and zip it under her belly.
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
                        Born July 7 2014
                        Peach & Emily!

Comment

I found Celle's Chilly Dogs measurements:

Back length: 29" (from base of neck to top of her tail)
                          Chest circumference: 32"
                          Shoulder width: 9"
                          Neck circumference: 19"

On the sizing chart this matched up with the "All Breed 28", or Large-28" for the sweater, or the "Long & Lean 28", or size "Large".

For the Great White North coat this matched with the "All Breed (28-30), 30"= size Large", or the "Long & Lean 31"=size Large".

Although either style would have worked; I kept flipping between the photos of the coats laid out flat to see the difference in the cuts .... and decided that her chest isn't that deep, and her waist is tiny and set back ... so I chose the long & lean cut, and it fit's really nice. Celle hasn't grown any for awhile now. Even after her spay, she only gained a few pounds, so I believe this size will suit her for awhile.
                          sigpicCelle: 7/1/14, my current problem child
                          Chance: 9/3/05, the stray kitten that Jena brought home
                          Jena: 6/2/99 - 10/6/09 R.l.P. my heart dog (merle GD)

Comment

Thanks for the great ideas! I will wait to spend the big bucks when he is fully grown.
                            sigpic

Comment

The company that I bought the fleece jacket from has a winter coat on sale for $21.99. I had ordered this style but the larger one for Bear last winter and I was impressed with it but it was too large and I didn't bother going to this size since the fleece jacket was way thicker than I expected.

This is the smaller size
                              http://www.sstack.com/black-friday-f...ands-30-to-36/
                              sigpic

Comment

The company that I bought the fleece jacket from has a winter coat on sale for $21.99. I had ordered this style but the larger one for Bear last winter and I was impressed with it but it was too large and I didn't bother going to this size since the fleece jacket was way thicker than I expected.

This is the smaller size
                                http://www.sstack.com/black-friday-f...ands-30-to-36/
                                So you do or don't recommend this one? Sorry I'm confused lol. I'm also looking for a slightly lighter jacket for Zoom that isn't a hair magnet. Is the fabric on this one slick and easily wiped off? Since Zoomer is smaller (32-33" 122lbs) do you think it would work?
                                -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Working...
                                X