When do they stop growing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do they stop growing?

Just curious...when do they stop growing? What's the typical growth for the second year? At what age would you consider them to be at their adult height/weight?
    sigpic

3 years

Comment

They don't grow much past 18 months, but def most continue to fill out and mature until 3. You almost have to take a picture of your dog at 1-18 months and compair to them as it isn't as noticeable.

Comment

Thanks. I noticed some elevator butt in the past couple weeks and now he's level again so I measured and he had a 3/4" growth spurt He's 15 months old now and it seemed like a big jump all of a sudden for his age. Just curious if that's normal and I should expect more of those.
        sigpic

Comment

Did you ever get to meet his sire and dame? Heredity usually dictates the final adult size, so if he isn't as big as daddy yet..
          Amare et sapere vix deo conceditur.
          sigpic

Comment

We have a female, but would she more likely take after her dad or mom as far as size goes? Her mother, like Emma is also a Harlequin and her dad is a Mantle. As Emma has grown we have noticed her head, ears, and facial expressions closely favor her dad, and personality seems to favor both parents, depending on her mood! LOL!!

Just curious as to how heredity plays in their final size, because at 7 months Emma is already about her mother's size....and her dad is HUGE!!
            sigpicStephanie Folker

Mom to:
            Bonnie - female, pitbull/great dane mix -4 yrs.
            Clyde - male, pitbull - 3 yrs.
            Emma - female, great dane - 19 months

Comment

Originally posted by Schmoopies View Post
              Did you ever get to meet his sire and dame? Heredity usually dictates the final adult size, so if he isn't as big as daddy yet..
              We met both and have his family tree back 5-6 generations on both sides. Lots of big boys on his dads side. His momma is kinda big for a female 34". And his dad is 38"/180. He's at 36.5" at 15 mos. We should expect him to mature to his dads height? I guess we thought he would land somewhere in the middle but he's already there.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CarolB View Post
                3 years

And this is why a reputable breeder won't breed a dog until at least 2 years of age.. Also at the age of 2 is when hip x rays can be certified for OFA.
                sigpic
                CHDANTRYDANES SUNNY SIDE OF LIFE- "Moose"
                Born: April 10,2011

FINISHED IN 1 WEEKEND
                Bitch-CHDANTRYDANES SHE'S A NATURAL
                Stud-CHDANTRYDANES OUT OF AZORES

Comment

Working...
                X