Nail trimming fits!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nail trimming fits!

This is the first Dane we've had that had it's dew claws removed.
    It is also the first Dane that won't let me trim her nails, is there a connection here. I don't know how the removal was done and how early.
    wondering if she remembers and that is why she won't let me near her nails. I haven't hurt her while trimming. The vet seems to have no trouble but I am there to hold her.

Originally posted by goldbonder View Post
    This is the first Dane we've had that had it's dew claws removed.
    It is also the first Dane that won't let me trim her nails, is there a connection here. I don't know how the removal was done and how early.
    wondering if she remembers and that is why she won't let me near her nails. I haven't hurt her while trimming. The vet seems to have no trouble but I am there to hold her.
    Neither of mine have their dew claws, and both are fine with their nails being messed with and trimmed. Are you using a dremel or clipper? Does she refuse to let you touch her nails, or just cut them? I'd take it very slowly. There's a lot of good advice on this forum about getting a dog used to having its nails done. I find that the dremel works best for us.
    sigpic
    Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Comment

I can dremel Ximmy's nails with little or no difficulty, but bring Lynz into the picture and Ximmy becomes a pulling, fussing Diva.

It is more a reaction to her Mom than to the dremel. Lynsie hates the smell and dust and I firmly believe Ximmy reacts to that. I'm pretty matter of fact about it, grab a foot and grind away. There is always a nice treat after we are done.

My Labs used to line up for toenails knowing they got special treats given only when toenails were done.
      sigpicLynn - Ximmy's Mom's Mom - John & Lynsie, skin kids, Faela & Gus skin grandkids,OnzaPous, ReignaPous, Banshee & Kit-ten and now Dare Devil and Fuzzy Butt the cats, and of course......Ximmy Ximmy Xoom Xoom and [COLOR=red]Sprocket (aka Sprockey Wocky Puppy Pants) and Sibanca our newest Dane rescue

Comment

Originally posted by isdapous View Post
        I can dremel Ximmy's nails with little or no difficulty, but bring Lynz into the picture and Ximmy becomes a pulling, fussing Diva.

It is more a reaction to her Mom than to the dremel. Lynsie hates the smell and dust and I firmly believe Ximmy reacts to that. I'm pretty matter of fact about it, grab a foot and grind away. There is always a nice treat after we are done.

My Labs used to line up for toenails knowing they got special treats given only when toenails were done.
        I can dremel Bates no problem, but ever since I quicked one of his dew claws pretty badly, I can't get near him with clippers. DH on the other hand can clip him no problem. Bates knows I'm a nervous wreck with clippers.

Just in general though, I don't like using clippers. On a dane they're going to get dull after four claws, and the duller they are, the more the squeeze the whole nail before they clip, which DOES hurt the dog if they're particularly sensitive. It certainly doesn't feel good.

Desensitizing to a dremel really doesn't take that long if you take your time (how's that for bass ackwards LOL!) But seriously, a little work in the beginning makes for soooo much more pleasant of an experience for the lifetime of the dog. Just 5 to 10 minutes a day for a few weeks and then you have a lifetime of a dog who is a piece of cake to do nails.

I have a post somewhere where I explain what we did with Lunar. I'll see if I can find it.
        Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
        - Anatole France

Comment

I agree that the dremel is the way to start with your pup. It's so much easier and not stressful for you. In fact, I just did Murphy's nails a little while ago. I say, 'load up' and he see's the dremel in my hand and walks into his crate. I go in with him and he lets me dremel away. It's just easier for me to go into his crate than deal with him wanting to walk all around the room.

Martha
          sigpic

Comment

ashley and bentley were great from the start. pea, on the other hand, was terrified of having her feet handled. i found that if i didn't make a big fuss, it went SO much better. the first few times i tried trimming her nails, each time she stood still for a nail, i made a big fuss. that just got her wound up. so, i started trimming and not saying a word to her, just working slowly. when i got all 4 feet done, that's when i made a big deal out of what a GOOOOOD girl she was. she would get a serious case of the zoomies while i praised her. we're still working on the dremel but she is becoming more accepting of it.
            [SIGPIC]

Comment

Milly actually has her dew claws and used to hate her nails being done something bad. I really do not think there is a correlation...I think the reason why some pups don't seem to mind and others freak out is directly related to amount of handling(in a positive way) the breeder did from a young age to prepare them for this aspect of grooming.

Ouesi posted to me way back then about how to de-sensitize them to the dremel and I followed it to a T. Milly used to take off, with me straddled on top of her and fly over the couch in full zoom knocking me off of her, turning into a lunatic. It was pretty crazy, and I still kick myself for doing that to her. I was thinking I had to force her to get it done and get her over it, and I am sure I made it worse...I finally learned I needed to get her to "allow me" to do her nails. We started very slowing as you'll see in Ouesi's videos. For awhile we could only do a couple nails at a time, as I did not want to put too much stress on her. Now we can get all 4 paws done in one sitting. I do lock myself in her crate with her because even though she tolerates it now she still doesn't like it and would keep walking away.
              Good luck and go s-l-o-w !

Videos Ouesi posted.

~Jeanne, Jason & Emily(6)-The Humans~
              Milly-Harl GD,
              Tank, Tigra Cougie & Jax-The Cat Crew
              www.valparasiokennelclub.com

Comment

We do nails tethered (either on the deck out back or to the railing in the front hall) and standing. I do it like a farrier trims a horse. I have found that in the standing position not one gives me any trouble at all. I trim with the clippers (unless their nails are already fairly short, depends on how lax I've gotten) and then I dremel them shorter.
                sigpic

Comment

You know i have never given thought to locking myself in the crate with her . I don't think we would both fit but i guess it would be worth a try . Let me back up i only say that because i saw a picture when it was mentioned . I was wondering how do i explain to my wife what has happened when she has to come unlock us from the crate. Sorry !
                  Last edited by Dickie Best; 07-12-2011, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WeLoveOur7Dogs View Post
                    I do it like a farrier trims a horse. I have found that in the standing position not one gives me any trouble at all.
                    Yes, this is an easy position and in the crate I am on one knee with the paw resting on my other knee. It's so much easier to see where you are from the bottom of the nail. Especially with black nails.
                    sigpic

Comment

Great thread. Tonight we are attempting to dremmel Maggie's nails for the first time. I am so nervous! Mostly I'm worried about hurting her or doing it wrong.

How do you know when to stop? How far down do I file?
                      sigpicIntroducing Miss Maggie Maggie - 3 Years Old

Comment

With her nails being white, you should be able to see the fleshy part(quick).
                        Just go s l o w , use lots of praise and treats. Make it fun, and have a smile/cheerful attitude about it.Make sure you are NOT nervous when you do it, because she will sense that.

~Jeanne, Jason & Emily(6)-The Humans~
                        Milly-Harl GD,
                        Tank, Tigra Cougie & Jax-The Cat Crew
                        www.valparasiokennelclub.com

Comment

how did it go with maggie??

something else you should know...you should not dremel on one nail for more than a few seconds at a time. the dremel "file" will heat the nail up and if it gets hot, it gets uncomfortable for the dog. i dremel a few seconds on one nail, move to the next, then the next and so on and then go back and do them all again. i do this until all of the nails are where i want them.
                          [SIGPIC]

Comment

Thanks everybody, lots of good info!

I got too nervous and chickened out yesterday :-( So we are gonna try again this weekend. After some research and your advice I feel much more prepared now.

Also, my little piglet decide to eat (yes, ingest) a Nylabone (no, not the edible kind) shortly before the nail filing attempt and then proceeded to throw up bits. So I figured too much drama for one night!
                            sigpicIntroducing Miss Maggie Maggie - 3 Years Old

Comment

I find using the dremel much easier than using clippers (where one is more likely to cut the quick).

It may take a few weeks to get the dog even use to the sound of the dremel let alone the feel of it. I started out cutting on around the dogs & letting it run a min or two. Then I started touching them with it. Ans then moved on to actually doing the nails.
                              sigpic
                              Roxy & Ace

Comment

Working...
                              X