Skin Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skin Problems

To give a little background; we rescued Gracie about 2 months ago from a pound. She was 74 pounds (she's 30" at the withers) and had raging pneumonia. The pound told us she was about 4 years old. We nursed her back to health. As of last week she was up to 91 pounds and gaining every day. Her energy level is up, she's over the respiratory stuff. She had been on very strong antibiotics for a month. Within a day or two of finishing them, she started scratching. And it has gotten worse and worse. She's a harlequin and especially where her fur is white, and sparce (belly, underside of legs and throat), it is very red, though no bumps or anything. I assumed her skin was dry was malnutrition, so besides her regular food, started adding some cooking oil and one capsule of vitamin E about 2 weeks ago. She also gets a dog vitamin supplement. She is eating Nutro Natural Choice, probably 6-8 cups a day plus 2 cans of dog food. The scratching's getting so bad at this point she's starting to bleed in a couple of spots. She gets unlimited water and drinks a lot. Of course being in Colorado, and winter, it is very dry. Her coat itself looks really good, very shiny, it's just the skin underneath.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Susan (and Gracie)
    Castle Rock, CO

RE: Skin Problems

Either feed canned salmon/mackeral/sardines once or twice a week or supplement with salmon oil caps daily. 1,000 mg. per 30 lbs of weight daily.

Comment

>The
      >scratching's getting so bad at this point she's starting to
      >bleed in a couple of spots.

This doesn't sound right. Have you checked with the vet? It could be anything from food allergies to skin infection to mange.

Suja

Comment

Which Nutro are you feeding? Some of the variants have wheat and/or corn in them which are common allergens. Food allergies often show up as you describe.

Comment

sounds like bad allergies to me. maximus has had a horrendous time with his skin, and we've been through several foods (including raw) and nutro was one that made him flare up. IF it is allergies, i recommend natural balance duck and potato formula. maximus has really done well with the exception of the past 2 weeks: the weather here in louisiana has been nutso and with this latest cold spell, he started getting a bit flakey.

he too would scratch until he bled ... allergies ... check with your vet. red armpit? red chest? red skin between the toes? all signs of allergies, along with itching, scratching, licking and chewing -

Comment

I too have rescued my dane bella, as a puppy 9 or so weeks and at approx. 4 to 5 mo. of age she began to show the same symptoms so off to the vet we went and after a few visits and skin scarpings she was diagnosed with demodex or demodectic mange(sp?), she was given weekly dips in amatraz?(not sure but i think thats what it was called or close to that) by the vet for about 7 weeks and she has been fine since she is 9 mo. now. just a thought but you may have your vet test for this, bella was severely scraching her throat also. good luck hope that it is not that severe....

Comment

You may be dealing with a yeast overgrowth problem as a result of usage of antibiotics. For more info, see the following article:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...+in+dogs&hl=en
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X