Dane safe toys?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dane safe toys?

Bogart has gotten into the habit lately of chewing off the ears and tails of his stuffed toys and swallowing them. He started pooing ears last week and has since been banned from all his stuffed squeaky toys. He was heartbroken until we broke out the new Kong and filled it with peanutbutter but as of now, it's his only toy. He's got some serious teething going on and needs some other suggestions.

What toys have you guys found to be chew proof and entertaining?

(Side note: I read somewhere that pig's ears and rawhide were no-no's....any truth to that? He loves those things and we use them as treats from time to time - should we stop? If so, any suggestions for replacements?)
    Nicole
    Mom to 4 little ones and 1 not so little blue dane (Bogart)

Below are some good Dane safe chews

Original Kong - Will hold up to just about ANY Great Dane, with few exceptions
    Kong Extreme - Claims to be the toughest dog toy in the world.
    Kong Ball - Kong toy without a hole for treats/filling
    Kong Wubba - GREAT Toy... two Kong balls wrapped in Nylon cover with a tail for throwing/grabbing/carrying
    Kong Mega Wubba - Giant 7" Diameter Wubba Toy
    Tirebiter & Mammoth Tirebiter - Heavy Duty Tire shaped chew
    JollyBall Romp-n-Roll - though the below one is called Tug n Toss... this version with the rope is better for tug.
    JollyBall Tug n' Toss - Popular with DOL danes
    Assorted Nylon bumper tugs- Heavy Duty Nylon Firehose Type Chew bumper
    Everlasting Treat Ball - Great chew
    Everlasting Fun Treat Dispensing Ball - My #1 favorite mental Stim toy. CLICK HERE to see my dog Simon using his.
    Jolly Teaser Ball - Hard shell with a ball trapped inside.
    Mighty Grips Large heavy duty ball with mouth grip for easy dog pick up
    Hol-EE Mol-EE Extreme - big super tough ball thingy

Tuffy's - Heavy Duty Nylon/Canvas resilliant stuffed dog chews (note* while tough, these CAN be destroyed) Tuffies have toughness levels... here's some Tough level ones:
    Ultimate Tuffies - High level... but not the highest
    Megal Tuffies - Level 10 toughness... the toughest stuffed tuffy toy

= I own and use this.
    Last edited by Mr. Walnuts; 11-11-2010, 05:45 PM.
    - Chris
    "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal"
    sigpic

Comment

Awesome! Thank you Chris. This list is super fantastic - Bogart will love it, my checking account will hate it.
      Nicole
      Mom to 4 little ones and 1 not so little blue dane (Bogart)

Comment

You just can't go wrong with a kong wubba! I get the neprene water wubbas if I can find them usually .. they seem to last longer lol.
        sigpic
        A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Comment

Originally posted by coley View Post
          Awesome! Thank you Chris. This list is super fantastic - Bogart will love it, my checking account will hate it.
          You're very welcome.
          dog.com seems to have the lowest prices on all the toys right now (though they all fluctuate with sales and stuff)... just did some SS shopping this morning and got a bunch of stuff

If anyone has more experience with Tuffy's, please add to this... I know they're tougher, but not sure really how tough. All the ones with the 's next to them are toys I actually have though... I also have the Original Kong and the Hol-EE Mol-EE Extreme... but I could only put 10 's in the post...

hope that helps
          - Chris
          "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal"
          sigpic

Comment

we got the biggest,knotties rope we could find.. was a big help during teething! they eventually were able to chew thru the rope, but the knots are still intact, and still get played with regularly. they may swallow a fiber every once in a while, but because the knots are so tight & tangled, its never much. its lasted 2 years with 3 dogs.
            Tracy Miller
            sigpic
            Be Kaptain's Facebook Friend!
            Boston's Story Rest In Peace, Buddy! 11.14.2007-2.24.2011
            Dog Food Advisor

Comment

Thank you for this awesome list!

I was at PetSmart last week, getting puppy school info and talking with the Trainer. I also was getting an idea of what to purchase before the pup arrives like food, snacks, bedding, crate, and toys. The toys really got me. I didn't want my pup to get choked. My passed dogs were smaller and could chew through some of those toys in minutes! Then I was just imagining what a Great Dane could do I want to make sure I have plenty of chew toys before she arrives
              Last edited by CottonKandy; 11-11-2010, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I have the Kong Wubba and I just love it. Jadzia pulls, tugs and drags that thing everywhere. Gimaakwe (puppy babysitter) plays with her and toy as well.

It is super strong and one of the main features that I like about it is that when it gets dirty I just throw it in the washer and it comes out like new.
                sigpic

Kiizhik-LabXRotti (1999-2012) R.I.P. baby girl.
                Gimaakwe-LabX (2004-
                Deaglan-Dane (May 2008-Feb 26, 2016) RIP My Sweet Boy.
                Jadzia-Dane (2010-
                Gallagher-Irish Wolfhound (Dec 4, 2016-

Comment

Originally posted by coley View Post
                  (Side note: I read somewhere that pig's ears and rawhide were no-no's....any truth to that? He loves those things and we use them as treats from time to time - should we stop? If so, any suggestions for replacements?)
                  Rawhide is a major no-no in our house. Rawhide is not digested properly (I believe because of the way it's treated?) and if a large enough chunk is swallowed a blockage could easily result. I've also been told it swells in the stomach when eaten, which adds to the danger if true. I've heard enough horror stories from people when I worked at Petsmart in college about their dogs requiring surgery as a result of rawhide to ever give it my dogs.
                  Misty, Leonidas (Dane), and Valor (Pomeranian Mix)
                  Current 52 Photo Project:http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDu8ALZ

Comment

We do bully sticks, kong, jolly ball, and we have the Tuffy toys (level 8 and above only or he will chew through it too quickly). HTH!
                    sigpic
                    Crystal
                    Owned by:
                    Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
                    CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
                    Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
                    Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

Originally posted by DextersMomma View Post
                      we have the Tuffy toys (level 8 and above only or he will chew through it too quickly). HTH!
                      They have levels? Whats the highest level? Good info to know...
                      - Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

I think 10 is the highest level: http://www.tuffietoys.com/
                        sigpic
                        Crystal
                        Owned by:
                        Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
                        CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
                        Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
                        Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

Outstanding... I will add the higher level Tuffies™ to the Dane Safe list above.
                          Last edited by Mr. Walnuts; 11-11-2010, 05:46 PM.
                          - Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

Kong makes some xlarge squeaky tennis balls and other shaped toys made from tennis ball material that my dogs love. We also have the mega wubba and knotted rope toys are very popular here.
                            sigpic

Willow says: Can I have my apple, please?

Comment

Be careful of Tennis balls though. (I cannot speak for the Kong tennis ball-ish balls), but ACTUAL tennis balls should NOT be given to dogs for play unless they are in the water. Tennis balls have a caustic adhesive compound under the fuzz to adhere it to the rubber ball. Chewing them while not in the water can/will eat away the enamel on their teeth. If they're in the water, the water rinses it off fast enough to make it less harmful, but *I* don't let them play with tennis balls at all. Racquet balls are a good alternative, just not while the dogs are alone. Supervised only.
                              - Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X