Overweight....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overweight....

Alright, Dax is 4.5 and has always had a bit of a weight problem. He was diagnosed with Osteocarcoma in August, had his leg amputated and is now having chemo every 3 weeks.

For 3 weeks, he lost weight which was not a bad thing. Now, he is gaining it back which is not good for him because he only has 3 legs to support his weight.

He weighed 170 going into his surgery and 4 weeks ago at his 1st chemo treatment he was down to 150, the week after, 148. He has his 2nd chemo treatment on Thursday so I won't have an updated weight until then, but he has definitely put probably about 10 pounds back on.

The vet has told us that he doesn't need to be on a special diet for the cancer, so my concern is- what is a good food that will help with weight loss? We feed him kibble only, and right now we use Purina One which has cleared up some problems that both of our boys were having with corn allergies. Our other boy, Argos has no problems with weight whatsoever, so I don't think the issue is us overfeeding them, but we need to do something because I've reduced his food intake as much as I am comfortable with.

What are your suggestions?
    sigpic
    The boys!
    Dax 4/18/08 and Argos 4/09/09

Odin's "mom" has trouble with weight too (why, I'll never know..they're forever wrestling and running around the house)..

but I started her on Wellness Core reduced fat (it's grain free) and she's done great on it. The ONLY complaint I have is that she got dandruff on it.. so now I put a smidge of Odin's TOTW sierra mountain in with her kibble just for enough fat to hold the dry skin off..
    Be the change you want to see in the world!

Odin's Adventures

Comment

We tried a lot of things to take the weight off our pit mix. He was grain free fed and I just couldn't get him down the 10-15 pounds that he needed taken off. We ended up trying Wellness Core Grain Free Reduced Fat (green bag). It worked amazing. He was able to drop off most of his extra weight (about 8 pounds if I recall correctly) within the first 30 pound bag, about 1 month time. However, he was never hungry because he was still eating the same quantity. Within the first 2 weeks, there was a noticable difference in his appearance.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Odin's Mom View Post
        Odin's "mom" has trouble with weight too (why, I'll never know..they're forever wrestling and running around the house)..

but I started her on Wellness Core reduced fat (it's grain free) and she's done great on it. The ONLY complaint I have is that she got dandruff on it.. so now I put a smidge of Odin's TOTW sierra mountain in with her kibble just for enough fat to hold the dry skin off..
        Heeeey I'm so glad she is doing well. I was thinking about you just the other day and if the Wellness was working. Glad to hear it is!
        sigpic

Comment

Thank you! I will definitely try Wellness Core. I also apologize because I think I put this in the wrong section. I appreciate you all responding though.
          sigpic
          The boys!
          Dax 4/18/08 and Argos 4/09/09

Comment

From what I remember reading you want to be very careful with grains and sugar (even potatoes) in a dog that has or has had cancer.

Comment

Originally posted by SirPupsMom View Post
              I also apologize because I think I put this in the wrong section..
              Not necessarily in the wrong section. Have your considerd raw?
              Both my pups were overweight before starting them on raw.
              Now they are both slim and trim.
              "The human language, as precise as it is with its thousands of words, can still be so wonderfully vague"....Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain

Comment

When my cat was diagnosed with cancer I was told to limit carbohydrates as much as I could, cancer feeds on carbs.

I was also told NOT to feed her a raw diet, because of her depressed immune system (due to the chemo). I was told this by her oncologist...so I don't know how accurate it is (since most vets are anti-raw to begin with), but I didn't want to take any chances so I never switched her to a raw diet. She probably wouldn't have eaten it anyway, she was SUPER picky.

found this one website with a quick search:
                http://dogcanceradvice.com/728/shoul...g-with-cancer/

also found a few other websites with homecooked meals for dogs with cancer...just search for "diet for dogs with cancer" and you should be able to find them
                sigpic
                Debbie & Murphy

Comment

Working...
                X