Male vs. Female

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by harleylvr View Post
    I own, and always have owned, females. And honestly, it's for three simple reasons. 1) The 'red rocket' creeps me out. 2) I don't want to deal with humping (not always the case with males, and some females do it) and 3) The marking. Much easier for a male to just lift his leg (and also, most males can be broken of this). Oddly enough, all dogs have been female and all cats have been male lol.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA This is exactly why I insisted on a "Lilly." The red rocket creeps me out, too. But, before she was spayed, she might as well have had a red rocket! Geesh. Your #2, however, is something Lilly does. THAT is creepy. It's so embarrassing the way she does it ... especially when guests are over to see! BUT, luckily, that has tapered off after her spay, too!

Lilly is such an awesome dog as a female. I don't know anything about males, and Lilly is not yet seven months old, so I can't contribute much, but she has shown no signs of bitchiness yet. She loves rough-housing and does bark (only when she sees something new or when someone comes to the door). She's super timid--in a funny way. Meaning, she's incredibly hilarious to watch when she comes across something different, but she eventually figures it's OK and is no longer fearful. She's so sweet and angelic--definitely has the look and personality of a female. Don't get me wrong, though, she can be a royal PITA at times, too!

Oh ... and she LOVES LOVES LOVES playing with new dogs.
    sigpic
    Kari and Lilly
    lillythedane.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by lillydaneowner View Post
      Your #2, however, is something Lilly does. THAT is creepy. It's so embarrassing
      My Quinn does this to Trinity when they have been playing hard .. I just slap her on the butt and tell her to stop (trying not to giggle while I do it) .. pretty much blowing it off. My son gets offended .. saying he bets Trinity "doesn't like it" .. when in fact .. Trinity seems oblivious to the fact she's being "mounted" lesbian style lol
      sigpic
      A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Comment

For Show Dogs and Intact: Male or Female?

Question for those that show and keep intact dogs:

I read a fair bit on here about difficult intact males in this breed. Would you say an intact female is easier? Our first dane may or may not be a show prospect, but I think we would like to have a show prospect eventually. So I'm curious if the males are generally more challenging if they are mature and intact?

We don't show as of yet so have always had fixed pets. From what I've read and show people I've known, it seems to vary between breeds, though you often run into similar issues with intact animals across breeds. We have friends that actively show and have little trouble keeping intact males and females within the same home, but it definitely seems to be more/less challenging depending on the breed.
        sigpic
        Aoife: "Squirrel?!"

Comment

On the humping, my female spayed chinese crested humps the cat, only the one cat and no one else.

I started out w/ male danes, and at that time would have said that was my preference. When I got Iris I had to pick between her and her brother, part of me wanted to get the male because that is what I'd had, but there was something about her, and in the end I reasoned that because I already had two male dogs it would be better to get the girl. I hate to admit it, but my bond w/ Iris is probably my strongest one yet! I don't blame it on her being a female, just her being her, but that was when I stopped being 'sexist' I guess!

Comment

We currently have one male and one female, and we're picking up a new addition (yeah!) who is a female next week. We've also had two female Danes that have passed on. After Cinco's (male) reign of terror, we swore to never get another male! He is the most hyperactive, rambunctious, ADD, barkiest dog EVER. He is the only one of our Danes that has ever had to have professional training. Don't get me wrong, he is a lover, and has turned into a gem of a dog, but I honestly didn't think we'd ever get there! The females (and I'm hoping the new one too!) have all been incredibly easy. Loyal, loving, obedient; Sophie literally wouldn't stray more than 10 feet from me, she was always checking in to make sure me and the rest of the "kids" were ok. She taught boundaries, and basically kept the herd in line. While I do think that the females can get a touch bitchy, they are more than fair and tolerant, and it was never directed at a human. The females defiantly do pick their people, however.

Foodwise, with 2 adult Danes and an adult dobe, we're going through 1 bag of TOTW every 8-9 days. The food consumption (and poop production) is going to go up next week though!
            Last edited by Sophiedog; 01-11-2012, 03:36 PM.
            sigpicRest in peace Sophie, I miss you every single day...until we meet again...

Comment

I've never actually had a female dog. In my head, all dogs are boys and all cats are girls! I don't know why. My parents always had a boy dog and a girl cat.
              I really don't have a gender preference but I do kinda want Theonix to get a female for her dog. just so I can say I've at least co-owned a female!

I think the reason we've mostly had males was because they were easier to spay/neuter. No real invasive surgery needed, less chance something can go catastrophically wrong.

Comment

From my personal experience if you want a more laid back easy going Dane get a male. My friends Female and MINE ARE SUPER HYPER!!!! All she wants to do is run,run,run! As for who is more affectionate my male is wayyyy more affectionate but at the same time my male is more like a human then a dog and my female is well more like a dog. I think it's no set thing but I do believe males are alot more laid back.

Comment

Male vs Female

Currently we share our home with 2 females, and like other's, our girls are each unique in their personality and behavior. Sam (4 y/o) is a bit rowdy and super playful, likes to rough house up to the point of being scary to those that do not know she is just playing w/ me.
                  Skylar (7 months) who just recently joined our home, is the most laid back, but inquisitve Dane I have been around. She is very focused and deliberate in her mannerisims.
                  Duke, our male who passed last yr, was the most out of control, obnoxious being on the face of the earth. Man I miss that boy! He was a rescue from an owner who kept him chained to a tree w/ 10' of chain and no shelter, year round. He became super protective of me and would not let my wife sit beside me.
                  Leo, a male I had several yrs ago, was so lethargic, that we kept the vet busy with our worrying something was worng- The dog could sleep 30 hours in a 24 hr period...but was a total lap baby.

Every dane I have been blessed to spend time with is as unique as those that love and cherish the breed- spend time with each prospect. You will know who you belong to when they claim you.

Comment

I have 2 females and 2 males. Love the Males dont get me wrong love my females as well but those males are just goofy and so fun loving

Comment

I currently have a female Dane and she's not overly bitchy. She's goofy and into everything all.the.time, which drives me nuts, but I don't think that's a gender thing. She's protective, especially of the kids (mine, yours, random kids on the street). She's a pretty good listener and was easy to train (won top of her class in puppy obedience). As for affectionate, well, if she was any more affectionate, I think I'd die.

Comment

Working...
                      X