Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parasite looking growth around jowel area.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parasite looking growth around jowel area.

Has anyone experienced this before? Tabor is almost 10months old. I noticed what i thought food stuck in between his teeth and jowel area. When i flipped it back, it is a tanish color growth. Looks like a small sea anemeni. I don't now what this thing is, has anyone else experence this type of growth. If so, do they go away or what needs to be done.

Please help a concerned parent.

Thank you, -SA-

RE: Parasite looking growth around jowel area.

Sounds like a papilloma - essentially warts in the mouth. They are pretty common in dogs this age, my dog began to get them around 6 months old and likely picked them up at doggie daycare. They are harmless unless the dog gets a ton of them so it makes it difficult to eat. They are pretty gross looking (I was pretty grossed out) but will likely just fall off as the dog gets older and the immune system strengthens (they are from a virus). I think my dog lost his around 11 months. I asked a similar question on DOL when I noticed my dog's warts - you might want to do a search for similar threads for additional info.

Really, not anything to worry about I don't think as they can't be transmitted to humans, just something to wait out.

Liz

Comment

Odin has canine warts. According to our vet, humans cannot get them from their dogs. However, other dogs (puppies) can get them so you need to make sure that daycare knows about the warts (as well as those puppies that you visit).

Comment

You might also discuss whether or not Valtrex is an acceptable medication for dogs. It's excellent for treating herpes virus (which is what a wart is basically - there are many different strains). If he can take the medication it would be able to shorten the time of this outbreak as well as limit the severity of it. Once his immune system is more mature he may be able to fend off outbreaks in the future but you may find that if he becomes sick or injured he could have another outbreak. Herpes is a an opportunistic virus and there is no 'cure'. Ever notice how people get mouth sores when they're sick, stressed or overly tired? Same thing.

Comment

Working...
        X