Ivomec dosage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ivomec dosage

Ok, so I am just wanting some thoughts on this. I have researched the numbers and have come up w/ this:
    Ivomec 1% inject able = 10mg of ivermectin/mL
    1mL=1cc
    10mg ivermectin=1cc
    10,000mcg ivermectin=1cc
    going by heartguard dosage (2.72mcg/lb) Venus (#130) should get 354mcg of ivermectin.
    I have read that some of you use the 1% solution straight @ .1cc/10lb so for Venus that would = 1.3cc= 13,000 mcg of ivermectin (36.7 times the heartguard recommended dose)

Some of you dilute it 1 part ivomec to 9 parts propolene glycol which lowers the concentration to 1000mcg/cc. If I dilute it as such and then dose .1cc/10 lb we get 1300 mcg of ivermectin (3.6 times the hg recommended dose)

I have further read that some of you dilute then use only .05cc/10lb which would then = 650 mcg (1.8 times the hg recommended dose)

So if I were trying to mimic heartguards dosing recommendation (2.72mcg/lb) I would have to dilute and then dose .03cc/ 10lbs = 390mcg.

Now this is for heartworm prevention only. If I were to use one of the higher dosages what type of pest prevention would this be for? Intestinal worms? Mange? Mites? Also, which dosage do you use? The undiluted seems excessive, but if it is what is needed to prevent against worm infestations then I'm for it. If it still only prevents against heartworms, then I believe I prefer the lowest dose.
    Also, where do you get propolene glycol? Can I dilute w/ something else? I have read it is ok to dilute w/ saline (I'm thinking even water), but you must mix it fresh every time if you use that.
    Michele
    Mom to: Angel huskyx (3/15/2001), Lestat labx (12/1/2001), Mystra beaglex (04/01/2005), Merlin airedale (08/01/2012)
    RIP my loves:
    Isis (dane) (7/1/2005-11/5/2011), Venus (dane) (9/1/02-06/24/13)

I researched and read like crazy and no one seemed to agree. Talked to my vet about it and she (who is NOT medicine crazy or vaccine pushing etc) said undiluted it perfectly fine. I treat every 6 weeks

Comment

I use the 0.1cc per 10lbs of body weight given every 30 days formula: Duke is 120 so he gets 1.2cc. I use the Ivomec 1% solution and do not dilute it. Someone else on here, I believe Logan, uses a different amount that is less than this and gives it every 45 days.

Gotta keep it easy for me. I'm impressed with your math, my brain hurts just looking at it
      sigpic
      Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

1/10th cc per 10 pounds every month is what we've been using for 5 or 6 years now as per our last vet. Takes care of everything but tape worms.
        Slave to 4 bassets (Curie, Ada, Gus, Kelvin), 1 dane (Lisi), 7 cats (Ashe, Sumi, Timothy, Jefferson, Winken, Nod, Onyx) and have lost count of how many chicks and chickens I have at the moment. I still have more in the incubator

Comment

Are you injecting this? I thought the only ivomec you could buy over the counter was the injectable type for livestock ?
          Tracy
          sigpic
          Mouse April 2010
          Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Its the injectable but you give it orally

Comment

I started giving Ivomec (undiluted) about 4 yrs ago due to having 7 dogs at that time. After tons of research & discussing with my vet, I used .1cc per 10 lbs.

4 yrs into it, I rescued a newf mix stray who tested HW+. While going over treatment options with my vet, (same vet), he tells me I have been giving way too much! WTH? I also got blasted on a yahoo raw feeding group for using that amount. Something about HWs becoming immune to Ivomec and that I was contributing to the problem.

So now I have cut the dose in half out of fear (from vet advise not the yahoo jerk).

Never had any intestinal worm issues or any other issues using .1cc/10# on 7 dogs for 4 years.

Just had to de-worm 2 of 5 dogs on the lower dose

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????
              Sheryl
              In loving memory of my precious Eli
              12/26/06 - 2/16/11

Comment

Originally posted by pudnickel View Post
                I started giving Ivomec (undiluted) about 4 yrs ago due to having 7 dogs at that time. After tons of research & discussing with my vet, I used .1cc per 10 lbs.

4 yrs into it, I rescued a newf mix stray who tested HW+. While going over treatment options with my vet, (same vet), he tells me I have been giving way too much! WTH? I also got blasted on a yahoo raw feeding group for using that amount. Something about HWs becoming immune to Ivomec and that I was contributing to the problem.

So now I have cut the dose in half out of fear (from vet advise not the yahoo jerk).

Never had any intestinal worm issues or any other issues using .1cc/10# on 7 dogs for 4 years.

Just had to de-worm 2 of 5 dogs on the lower dose

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????
                Huh? Never heard anything about HW immunity to ivomec. Even my new vet was happy with the .1cc/10lb dosage, thought it was fine. She did suggest I could go every 6 weeks instead of 4 but that was it.

Now I have to go find what that claim/info is based on.......
                Slave to 4 bassets (Curie, Ada, Gus, Kelvin), 1 dane (Lisi), 7 cats (Ashe, Sumi, Timothy, Jefferson, Winken, Nod, Onyx) and have lost count of how many chicks and chickens I have at the moment. I still have more in the incubator

Comment

Originally posted by Greenmagick View Post
                  Its the injectable but you give it orally
                  Do you inject it into a meatball or something and they just gulp it down? Put it in gravy or on bread? I wonder what it tastes like I would think bitter.
                  Tracy
                  sigpic
                  Mouse April 2010
                  Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Yeah, its bitter. I mix it with ground beef usually or if I am up to it, green tripe

Comment

Originally posted by KDbeads View Post
                      Huh? Never heard anything about HW immunity to ivomec. Even my new vet was happy with the .1cc/10lb dosage, thought it was fine. She did suggest I could go every 6 weeks instead of 4 but that was it.

Now I have to go find what that claim/info is based on.......
                      This is the dosage I have been giving for years and my vet told me the dose of 1 CC per 100 lbs or .1 per 10. I haven't had any dogs test positive for heartworms. I also dose every 30 days

Comment

The standard doseage is .1 CC per 10 pounds. That said, Dr. LaRosa of BMWLR Danes had done alot of research on it, and they had narrowed it down to .1 CC/10 LBS for puppies to adolescent and .8-1.0 CC for Adults. I remove the needle, open the mouth and shoot it down the bqck of their throats. It definitely does not taste good. I can tell by the face expressions and licking the dogs make. That said, it works and it is much less expensive than Heartgard.
                        Last edited by lwrees72; 05-04-2012, 07:51 AM. Reason: Revised, forget to put the periods in place.
                        sigpic
                        Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
                        Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
                        www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Originally posted by lwrees72 View Post
                          The standard doseage is 1 CC per 10 pounds. That said, Dr. LaRosa of BMWLR Danes had done alot of research on it, and they had narrowed it down to 1CC for puppies to adolescent and 8-10CC for Adults. I remove the needle, open the mouth and shoot it down the bqck of their throats. It definitely does not taste good. I can tell by the face expressions and licking the dogs make. That said, it works and it is much less expensive than Heartgard.

Do you mean .1 (one/tenth) cc?

As far as the taste, I make a tiny sandwich to get it down. I let a bit of bread or roll get to stale dry. I drip the Ivomec onto a small piece and the bread soaks it in completely. A smear of peanut butter on top and it goes right down.
                          sigpic
                          Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by bluebeetlemom View Post
                            Do you mean .1 (one/tenth) cc?

As far as the taste, I make a tiny sandwich to get it down. I let a bit of bread or roll get to stale dry. I drip the Ivomec onto a small piece and the bread soaks it in completely. A smear of peanut butter on top and it goes right down.
                            Sorry, I was in a hurry and forgot my decimel point.
                            sigpic
                            Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
                            Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
                            www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

My bassets don't seem to have issue with the taste, I drip it from the syringe right onto the food and they eat it just fine, then again they don't normally take more than 30 seconds to inhale the food!
                              My last dane and all the fosters/rescues of other breeds though, I had to aim it down the back of the throat and then shove a piece of good treat or hot dog or something in there to keep them from gagging it back up.

Comment

Working...
                              X