Looking for input on torn tendon in paw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for input on torn tendon in paw

I think any Great Dane I own must get some sort of paw curse, because both of my Danes have now had serious paw injuries.

My current Dane somehow managed to tear a tendon on one of his middle two toes while playing. I didn't see it happen and he acted like nothing happened. Took him in for X-Rays and nothing is broken so it's definitely a torn tendon. The vet said there are two main tendons for each toe, one on top and one on bottom. His bottom tendon is torn so that toe just sticks straight out forward when he's standing on it and because of that, it isn't contributing to bearing any of his weight. The injury happened about two or three months ago.

He's a big boy.... just under 200lbs and is not overweight... pretty lean really (but he's unaltered so has a lot of muscle). Just turned two years old.

He still runs and plays fine, sprints around the yard, and GENERALLY speaking, the paw doesn't seem to bother him. He does seem to slightly favor the other paw while standing still, and sometimes after exercise, he will show signs of being in pain, but oddly this is not at all consistent and happens infrequently but when it does, it really bothers me.

From everyone I've spoken with, it seems I have two options:
    1. Leave it be and give him pain medication on an as-needed basis for the rest of his life.
    2. Have surgery to have the tendon re-attached.

I'm posting this here in hopes that someone has experienced the same thing and has gone the surgery route. I'm curious to see if it was effective and if the dog did not have a re-injury.

Here is a pic of what it looks like:

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Brut; 06-11-2015, 05:07 AM.

Being young, surgery could be an option.

But keep in mind that the recovery takes a few months, and is not always successful.

If it doesn't seem to bother him too much and no further damage occurs, I would go with pain management for now.

My 8 year old female has some splayed toes, (probably genetic) that appeared one day, but there was no injury and no pain.
    Last edited by audreys; 06-16-2015, 07:57 AM.
    "The human language, as precise as it is with its thousands of words, can still be so wonderfully vague"....Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain

Comment

Have you spoken with a vet about the surgery recovery? Generally tendon surgeries require immobilization for a long time to let the repair heal because tendons aren't very vascular. If you're thinking about surgery, I'd talk with an orthopedic vet about the procedure and recovery so you would know what you're in for.
      sigpic
      Chaucey
      Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon next Monday. I was just hoping to see if anyone had personal experience living with a dog that has a ruptured tendon. I did talk with the surgeon over the phone for a couple minutes as a pre-meeting, but he said that my dog probably wouldn't be a candidate for surgery. He said generally the only successful surgeries he has done on tendons like this are in dogs who step on a piece of glass and get a clean, fresh cut that can be stitched back together. He said if it just ruptured, there is a very low chance of a successful outcome.

Comment

Think of stretching a rope until it breaks from the pressure and stress (ruptured tendon). The ends are frayed and pretty impossible to reattach unless you cut them evenly (clean cut).

That's the way the surgeon explained it to me when Dixie ruptured hers and I wanted to "have it fixed no matter the cost".

So, when, like a spoiled little brat, I whined, "Well, then cut them off even and sew them back together," he calmly said, "Mom, then it would be a great looking repair, but, it would be too short and I would have done more harm than good.....no matter the cost." Somehow, he said that in a very caring way that was not at all condescending.

I'm so thankful he was such an understanding man and never lost his patience with me.

And, it does not bother Dixie or slow her down one bit.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience! How long ago was that?

Comment

She was 10-12 weeks old and she is 3y6m now. Incidentally, combining posts here, her Trupanion will cover any future expenses related to that accident, which is another reason I like them.

Comment

Ok thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
                X