Destroying the yard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Destroying the yard

Hi all. This is my second dane and he is nothing like the first. He is a sweet dog but an absolute terror outside. My last dane did none of these things so I figured the new one wouldn't either but I was wrong.

I have a huge (3/4 acre) fenced back yard. It had a lot of grass but with all the running around the 9 month old pup does, and with all the rain we've had, most of the grass is now mud. I'm ok with that because he isn't doing anything wrong and it's just grass. However, about half of the yard is woods, and the other half is hilly areas where I have some random things planted. I have young persimmon trees, four blueberry bushes, a raspberry patch, and a blackberry patch.

Despite half of the yard being woods, he completely leaves the shrubs and bushes that grow naturally alone, and instead destroys all the specific plants I planted. I didn't recently plant them either.... I planted them a year ago. There is nothing unique about these plants. But for whatever reason, he chews them all up and tries to dig some of them up. Today he snapped my young persimmon tree off at the trunk, just 2' off the ground. He's topped all of my blueberry bushes, and he's dug up half my raspberry patch. He's also ripped out all my irrigation line that was just below the surface. Any potted plants are immediately destroyed and chewed to bits.

He's an indoor dog and has NO issues in the house with anything. I let him outside in the morning to do his business and eat, before I go to work. And when I get home, I let him out a couple of times to do the same thing. I usually let him out for 10 or 15 minutes at a time and in the evening, I take him on a long hike at a private off-leash area, or I throw the ball for him in the backyard until he's out of breath and tired. So he's getting plenty of exercise.

It seems that I simply can't leave him alone in the yard for any length of time. That's very troublesome because it means I will have to sit there and watch him until I see nature calling. Add the fact that he likes to be outside and will run away or do anything he can to avoid going back into the house. I've tried positive training, luring him in with cookies and praise etc, but he feels outside is more fun than the best treats. So really it almost seems that I can't take him out in my huge fenced yard at all unless he's on a leash.

Anyone have any ideas for me? Anyone know why he is specifically targeting my nice plants and leaving everything else completely alone? Is it just a phase and if so, when will he likely grow out of it?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom. He's a great and VERY smart dog but is being such a rascal.

Not sure the pups age but my opinion is a pup being a pup. Dakota rarely goes beyond her approved toys but she will shred a banana tree leaf or pull at our bushes etc. anything she can chew, even bark chips she will. I have to watch her only because I don't want her chewing up something and injuring herself. Those things are just too appealing I think to a puppy

Sounds like you know the necessity is to watch, i am in that habit anyway-- if you are not ok with damage. All my dogs have had this stage and simply grew out of it after the teething stage ended and bark and bushed suddenly become less appealing. Thank goodness!!

Ps don't forget the redirect with a proper treat/toy...we finally got antlers best move ever!!
    sigpic
    Bailey (Choc Lab), Jasmin (GD), Dakota (GD)
    Ashley & Chloe (Himalayan)
    In Memory of our beloved Jake
    forever in our hearts

Comment

Gilligan used to tear up the grass (with his mouth) and was beginning to do a little digging as well as getting into my plants when he was a pup.

I knew I had to leash him each time outside (I've a fenced backyard). On leash, each time he showed interest in plants, grass or dirt, I told him in a firm voice "LEAVE IT!". I then redirected him. It took about two months before he stopped showing interest.

That said, I have a small potty area and a large area for him to do his zoomy thus, I continued to leash him until a month ago. He was 7 months old then. Although he's no longer leashed, I still bring his leash when I take him to the potty area. It is a reminder to him that I can still leash him if he tries to tear the grass with his mouth or attempts to do the "catch me, if you can! Hahahaha!) attitude.

Debbie
      Life-long dog owner, but first time Great Dane owner
      "Gilligan" (born 5.7.2013)

Comment

While on walks Zeppelin used to grab the leaf/flower/branch of every tree type thing we go past.. I've gotten him to stop for the most part by the "leave it" command. He does however, like to have a leave or branch in his mouth while hiking/walking.

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie F View Post
          Gilligan used to tear up the grass (with his mouth) and was beginning to do a little digging as well as getting into my plants when he was a pup.

I knew I had to leash him each time outside (I've a fenced backyard). On leash, each time he showed interest in plants, grass or dirt, I told him in a firm voice "LEAVE IT!". I then redirected him. It took about two months before he stopped showing interest.

That said, I have a small potty area and a large area for him to do his zoomy thus, I continued to leash him until a month ago. He was 7 months old then. Although he's no longer leashed, I still bring his leash when I take him to the potty area. It is a reminder to him that I can still leash him if he tries to tear the grass with his mouth or attempts to do the "catch me, if you can! Hahahaha!) attitude.

Debbie
          This is the approach I would take too. If he can't behave outside, he's got to stick to you until he can.

Recently we switched the water play table we have for the kids to rice, and guess who thought that was a super tasty treat just for him? Yeah, raw rice doesn't do anything good for a dog's digestive system, so I had to train him specifically to leave it alone, which took about a week of me taking him out leashed up-on a 20 foot line-so I could reinforce the 'leave it'. (Gentle tug, not a yank on the leash.)

Now I can let him out without watching and he's not messing with it anymore, thank goodness.
          sigpic
          Beth, with...
          Daisy the Chihuahua mix
          Ranger the Heeler mix
          Sarge the Great Dane
          Bravo the Mastiff mix

And two cats, two ferrets, one husband, and four kids.

Comment

Lucy and Stella have done a number on my fenced in back yard. They love to run and roll with each other. I have very little grass now, will grow back later in the spring. They love to dig holes, big enough for them to lay in. And the baby trees I planted 2 years ago are all gone but one. Right now they love to dig up roots, rubber tree ones.. And once they get one dug up and snaped off they just chase each other around the yard. Oh and I sit out side the entire time... to me it's just a yard and I love watching them have fun...
            sigpic
            Lucy
            Stella (RIP 2/4/14) We miss you everyday!!!

Comment

Working...
            X