Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That moment when the dog throws a chair at the horse...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That moment when the dog throws a chair at the horse...

...I mean, we've all been there, right? ....Right?

Peach always comes to the barn with me, ever since she was a baby. She's usually on a long leash unless it's winter and the whole barn is boarded up. She usually has her space at the front of the barn and I set her up so there's there's bit of space between where her leash ends and how far Ollie can go in his cross ties, and when I ride she hangs out in Ollie's (clean) stall. She's pretty much the barn dog pro by now, she gets along with the horses and they tolerate her.

Today though... she was great all afternoon, but when I had Ollie in the cross ties after our ride something bizarre happened. Peach was sniffing in the front corner and somehow got her leash tangled around a heavy (probably 20 lb) wooden chair. When she backed up out of the corner she started dragging it towards her. When I heard it I turned around in time to see a wild eyed look of panic in her face as she bolted forwards. I wish I studied physics better so I could understand better what wen down, but the chair went AIRBORNE and flipped through the air towards Ollie. Ollie rears up in the cross ties (first time in 9 years) and backs in to a wall, thankfully thankfully not breaking loose. Once the chair landed I had to deal with him first to untie him and put him away. Poor Peach was So scared, she was trembling in the corner licking her bum-- I think she actually pooped her pants a tiny bit.

Good news is everyone was fine (yes, even the chair, which was flipped 20 feet) and Peach was still sad to leave after all that. I did need a little more adrenaline today, thanks animals!

It's not a party until someone throws a chair LOL.
    Last edited by emeko; 10-04-2015, 11:37 AM.
    sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
    Born July 7 2014
    Peach & Emily!

Hey, at least it was a dog and not a person? I can't count the number of times I've been thrown when some idiot bystander standing RIGHT at the edge of the ring flung their chair around, decided to shake out their coat, or opened a pop up umbrella on my jump approach.... If it's a dog you can't really blame them it's not like they know better haha

Seems pretty funny to me, honestly! I'm pretty surprised the horse didn't just break the crossties! If I was a horse and a chair came flying toward me I would have been out of there!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tiva View Post
      Hey, at least it was a dog and not a person? I can't count the number of times I've been thrown when some idiot bystander standing RIGHT at the edge of the ring flung their chair around, decided to shake out their coat, or opened a pop up umbrella on my jump approach.... If it's a dog you can't really blame them it's not like they know better haha

Seems pretty funny to me, honestly! I'm pretty surprised the horse didn't just break the crossties! If I was a horse and a chair came flying toward me I would have been out of there!
      ^story of my life hahah. Most people just have no horse sense it seems.

But yeah, total can't blame Peach, it was a freak accident and she scared her enough to make any kind of scolding completely useless. Ollie handled it well. The rearing was quite dramatic for him. As soon as I saw it all go down I was just like 'hohhhhh everyone just stop moving' and grabbed him and unclipped him as fast as I could. Once Ollie was secure and I checked Peach I had a good laugh about it!
      sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
      Born July 7 2014
      Peach & Emily!

Comment

Whew!! ... this story gets read out loud to Hubby glad that every one is OK.
        sigpicCelle: 7/1/14, my current problem child
        Chance: 9/3/05, the stray kitten that Jena brought home
        Jena: 6/2/99 - 10/6/09 R.l.P. my heart dog (merle GD)

Comment

Love it! Not the stress but the title of your post has me rolling on the floor! 😂

Poor Peach and Ollie (and you)!
          -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

Working...
          X