Spay & pexi price?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DobenDane View Post
    just called the vet clinic I planned to have my 6 month old Dane spayed with, and asked how much to pexi while you are in the abdomen?
    Spay cost was reasonable at $127 for 5.5 month old that weighs up to 69 pounds.
    Then they quoted $1800 additional for the prophylactic gastropexy!!

Holy cr@p, really?!
    Does this sound about right for Nor Cal?

Sucks, cause @that price I just can't do it...and I really wanted to do what was best for Zoey.

That does sound about right for Cali (though the spay price sounds like a humane-society special...I'm pretty sure Brembo's anesthesia alone cost more than that). I was quoted anywhere from $2-3k for a laproscopic and ended up spending about $1800 for an incisional spay and pexy. I'm not totally comfortable with the lap. pexy anyways.

There area some things to think about though if you chose to just go with the $127 spay. It will probably jump by more than double by the time she's old enough--our original "quote" when she was a puppy--even though I told them we'd wait 'til she was bigger to do it--was about $400 for spay. By the time it was time to do the surgery, it was closer to $800, and I think the spay part of the surgery ended up being a little less than $1000. Before either surgery, you should make sure the clinic does a complete blood panel including a clotting profile (I'm pretty sure for us this was close to $300...I can look it up later). You also want to keep in mind that if she eventually needs to have an emergency pexy, it will easily cost upwards of $3000 (and can get closer to the $10,000 range).

Oh, you also might, as pp, suggested, check vets in more rural areas or even across the border in NV (Carson City or Reno might even be less expensive...not sure).
    sigpic
    Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Comment

another thing to think about that i forgot to post was that the anesthetic (at least here in canada) is priced based on weight. the older they are, the more they weigh, the more expensive the surgery!! make sure that whatever quote you are getting includes that price since some people tend to so "oh and BY THE WAY" after the fact...

gotta love all those little charges they tack on the end (we learned this the hard way when we were looking at getting a wart removed from emi's face... $125 dollars for the removal of the wart but $500 for the anesthetic )
      • Merle Dane - Emi
      • Brindle Dane - Elroy

Comment

Another thing that may be worht your while..... look into a teaching Veterinary hospital.

Moose had his done at the college up here in Canada and you get "student prices" even though there are no students in the summer I had a board certified, experienced veterinarian perform the surgery.

He also asked if I was ok with having it done laproscopically since there were no students around to be taught the incision method. In their price is blood work, a dedicated anaesthetic team, surgical team, medication, pain meds, iv fluids, anaesthetic... you name it. The only time a student touched Moose was in his after-care when they checked on him since they're staffed 24/7.

The care was absolutely wonderful.... so for him the neuter/pexy was 473$ plus tax was the quote.... and yeah, like I said before... came to $540 I believe it was.
        sigpic
        Nitro- Female Mastiff x Dane - July 3, 2010 - July 27, 2013 (RIP Sweet Girl)
        Moose - Male Great Dane - June 3, 2011
        Rush - Male Great Dane - April 8th, 2015 (MBPIS MBPIG Can. GCH Group Placing Paquestone's Intense Rush)

Comment

Originally posted by TMedic37 View Post
          Another thing that may be worht your while..... look into a teaching Veterinary hospital.

Moose had his done at the college up here in Canada and you get "student prices" even though there are no students in the summer I had a board certified, experienced veterinarian perform the surgery.

He also asked if I was ok with having it done laproscopically since there were no students around to be taught the incision method. In their price is blood work, a dedicated anaesthetic team, surgical team, medication, pain meds, iv fluids, anaesthetic... you name it. The only time a student touched Moose was in his after-care when they checked on him since they're staffed 24/7.

The care was absolutely wonderful.... so for him the neuter/pexy was 473$ plus tax was the quote.... and yeah, like I said before... came to $540 I believe it was.
          TMedic37 was this at U of S?! My brother goes there and I am seriously considering making the trip and spending the weekend with him for the next one!
          • Merle Dane - Emi
          • Brindle Dane - Elroy

Comment

Yup Western College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Saskatchewan.

I couldn't have been happier with the whole experience
            sigpic
            Rush - Male Great Dane - April 8th, 2015 (MBPIS MBPIG Can. GCH Group Placing Paquestone's Intense Rush)

Comment

my second cousin is in the program and she suggested it for emi but since she was my first baby i was a little crazy and needed a "professional" - clearly, i didn't do my research and wasn't aware you could have a vet, not just a student, do the procedure!

so good to know! thanks for the info
              • Merle Dane - Emi
              • Brindle Dane - Elroy

Comment

Originally posted by brennahogg View Post
                my second cousin is in the program and she suggested it for emi but since she was my first baby i was a little crazy and needed a "professional" - clearly, i didn't do my research and wasn't aware you could have a vet, not just a student, do the procedure!

so good to know! thanks for the info
                No student every does a procedure ALONE. They are always under the direct watch of a licensed veterinarian. Even the interns who have their veterinary license are under direct watch of a Resident.

That way the student can learn and get hands on but would never be allowed to do anything wrong. Moose's 1 yr birthday fell on June 3rd and he had his neuter/pexy on the 7th. I would have waited until summer either way because I like that it's the licensed vets only doing it. They only do electives on Thursdays and Fridays every week but they were great with myself and Moose.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TMedic37 View Post
                  It terms of price, no such luck here... UC Davis is great, but for everything that I checked, the price would be the same or more than regular vet hospital. And even if the price is lower, often they require dog to stay overnight not only after, but before the procedure too, and that ads to total costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Shamu View Post
                    It terms of price, no such luck here... UC Davis is great, but for everything that I checked, the price would be the same or more than regular vet hospital. And even if the price is lower, often they require dog to stay overnight not only after, but before the procedure too, and that ads to total costs.
                    How silly!! Moose was an afternoon surgery and because of the pexy he was required to spend the night until he ate/did his business. I had to have him there for 7:50 am, he went into surgery by 1 and they called me numerous times to let me know how he was doing. Vet called at 8 the following morning, said Moose was up and eating (still semi stoned lol) and we were out of there by 10. The overnight fee was $40 with constant monitoring. I was fine with that since we live 2.5 hours away and I wanted him alert and coherent (I visited him the night before and he was so stoned he didn't know which way was up lol -- he just knew to whimper and whine because it got him attention:P)

It's a shame that people are being gouged to the tune of $2-3000! In the city it would have been around $1500-1700 at any vet..... which is why I was so excited when someone told me about the college $473 plux tax makes me much happier
                    sigpic

Comment

Our vet has a puppy plan that includes all vaccines, deworming,fecal tests ,spay and various office procedures for a year. It cost $439 plus ten percent off the pexi. It seems like a good deal.

Comment

as bad as it sounds... (and i know i may be opening a can of worms here since i am sure tehre are some vets here) i think a lot of the vet stuff is crazy expensive and sometimes i feel like they are benefiting off peoples love for their animals (not saying they dont love the animals either).

i did the math once, and vets make 3 times the amount of money to see a dog as a doctor does to see a human! (at least what my vet charges and what the doctor i worked for billed). it seems a little crazy sometimes.

its sad because a lot of the time people dont even want to take their dogs in since they know it is going to be $$$ and they are worried they cant afford it and the dogs end up dieing. or else they take them, the dogs die, then are strapped with a crazy medical bill!

i like the option of a teaching hospital. affordable care while helping the future work force!!
                        • Merle Dane - Emi
                        • Brindle Dane - Elroy

Comment

Just brought Charlie home from his neuter/pexi @ UC Davis. Dropped him off at 7:30am picked him up at 5:30pm. The procedurse were done with students and cost $470 including a $50 microchip so far so good.. Except we cant get him to get out of the car... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341282483.152164.jpg
                          ***~~Shelby & Bagheera~~***

Comment

That is a LOT!

I never have had an animal pexied, but my parents had their German Shepherd pexied and I think they said it cost $400 total for the spay and pexy at their vet. (One that is highly recommend in this area.)

I have taken my dogs to a local clinic run mostly on donations that has done almost 17,000 spay/neuters to date (if I am not mistaken) and it cost me $124 for both my doxie's spay and my Dane's neuter. I was able to get my other doxie neutered in January for $20.12 because they were running a happy "neuter" year promotion for the first 50 people that year who booked a neuter. IMO a total of $144.12 for a spay and 2 neuters is ridiculously cheap but they also offer financial assistance to those with lower incomes. If $144.12 is for 3 dogs with no assistance, imagine how cheap people could get a spay/neuter if their income was low enough. They practically give spay and neuters away but there are still people with "accidental" litters all the time in the classifieds. It's sad.

Comment

Originally posted by sbmitchell07 View Post
                              Just brought Charlie home from his neuter/pexi @ UC Davis. Dropped him off at 7:30am picked him up at 5:30pm. The procedurse were done with students and cost $470 including a $50 microchip so far so good.. Except we cant get him to get out of the car... [ATTACH]13398[/ATTACH]
                              Going to a vet school is a good idea. I'm not in Cali, but I'm going to look at the VA/MD vet school at Virginia Tech. Macho is a Hokie dog anyway, and I have places to stay.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
                              Last edited by fets; 07-09-2012, 09:12 AM.
                              sigpic
                              <, and Stef
                              <'
                              What do you call cheese that isn't yours? Macho Cheese!!

Comment

I just got a quote from my vet in Southern California . It's $1300 or $1900 to have it done laparoscopically . He is already neutered.
                                Owned by Stoli my handsome Blue Dane and Cosmo my distinguished Russian Blue cat.

RIP- Diva my sweet chocolate lab angel.

Comment

Working...
                                X