Should we keep showing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we keep showing?

Our boy has placed first in two akc shows thus far, we're wondering what you think about his confomation and if we should continue to show. As we all know heavily marked harlequins are hard to place, but he's been proving that theory wrong so far

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I can't really speak for dog shows, but showing horses, if you have one that has less desirable markings, it just means that one has to be extra good If he's been doing well so far I wouldn't necessarily pull the plug just because of his pattern just yet. Hopefully someone with more dog showing experience will chime in though. He's a handsome boy
    sigpic

Peach, merle Great Dane
    Born July 7 2014
    Peach & Emily!

Comment

How old is he? Does he have good movement? If he is showy and can move he will have a chance over color. Conformation is more important than markings.

Comment

I don't know if its the angle of his head in the pic but he doesn't look like he has much of a stop, and less lip that I like personally. Of course that doesn't mean he won't keep winning and I am anything but an expert, just personal observation. Does your breeder have an opinion? And was he supposed to be a potential stud? Congrats on the wins so far!
        ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

He could use more angulation in the rear. Danes are a head breed so a good head is important. Movement and animation are a must.

Comment

How old is he? Critiquing this dog would change drastically if he is an adult verses a puppy. Also, is he on level ground? He is posting in the front and over stretched in the back

Where are you showing will also have a great impact on how well he does in the ring. Are you showing under AKC or another registry? By placed first, do you mean his class? How many Danes were competing?

Also, I would never call Great Danes a head breed. They are a square breed with great substance but also elegance, grace and balance. The headhunting judges and breeders are not doing the breed a favor

Comment

For clarification:

Great Danes ARE referred to as a "head breed", which simply means you should be able to immediately recognize the breed based on the outline or silhouette of the head.

It does not mean that the head is the only part of the dog considered in judging.

It's merely terminology and in no way diminishes the importance of the other characteristics.

Danefully,

Dru

Alamo Great Dane Club
              Summer specialties July 10 & 11
              River City Cluster of Dog Shows

Comment

By that definition, every breed is a head breed. A head breed is a breed that has let the head become the most defining element of breed type. Examples of head breeds include Bulldogs, Bull Terriers, Shih Tzus and Collies to name a few. Read their standards to see the emphasis they place on the head as well as the faults associated with it. Perhaps this is a topic for another thread though

Comment

Working...
                X