NDR- Advice needed with BYB neighbor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDR- Advice needed with BYB neighbor

Despite my best efforts I have failed at preventing my neighbor from becoming a byber. He came across two Min-Pins about 4 months ago. He actually took them as payment from someone who owed them money. They are brother and sister, presumably from a bad breeder, and of course not registered, shown or health tested. When he got them, I examined them and found them to be approx. 3 months old. I advised him that if he was going to keep them both, he needed to at least get them make neutered right away as they would be of sexual maturity soon. I then took the time to find several low-cost options, made calls on his behalf and had it set up for him to receive two vouchers for the surgeries. I sent in the 40.00(20.0 a piece) , all he had to do was send in a copy of his photo id and a stub from his disability payments. First off, I should tell you these people are not good people. They are chronically litigious...so much so I had to order a book called "Good Neighbor Law"so I could understand how to protect ourselves from them. (They threatened to sue my husband for trimming weeds on the property line when we first moved in). I guess I just need you all to know what type of person I am dealing with. His woife is racist and told me flat out she doesn't like "white people". They also collect disability from a frivolous lawsuit and still work and run side business=(. Still we try to remain good neighbors and I am always pleasant with them, I do have to live next to them.
    He called me this morning and said the dogs have "locked onto each other" multiple times and the girl is very swollen and her breast are huge and the boy falls off and liquids go everywhere. I asked a few questions and determined that the female is in standing heat and explained to him that they have tied, and most likely the girl has been bred. He said he tried to keep them separated but the barking was too much and he locked them in the garage together. I asked him why he didn't follow through with the spay/neuter and he claims he didn't know this could happen "so young". This is complete BS becasue I told him this WOULD happen and young.
    He wants me to take the boy becasue he is driving him insane with barking all night...he said they can't deal with it and needs him gone until the girl is out of heat. I told him I could not take the boy as Milly would eat him(that's not true, I am just afraid if I take him he;ll sue me for something and I dont want to bail him out). I then told him he needed to have the girl spayed right now. He said he couldn't do that...I told him I would take the boy and bring the girl into get spayed and pay for it myself. Again he said no.
    I hate top turn my back on a dog that may end up in a bad situation, but on the same token I do not want to make this easy for him.
    I am so tired of the bs...tired of trying to help and getting no where.
    What would you do?

~Jeanne, Jason & Emily(6)-The Humans~
    Milly-Harl GD,
    Tank, Tigra Cougie & Jax-The Cat Crew
    www.valparasiokennelclub.com

It is bad enough to have a bad neighbor . This issue is close to your heart . If he is like this now imagine what it is going to be like when the pups come . I would not take his dog for him and i know you would not . I would avoid him like a plague and i know that can be hard . You know what he is looking for ultimately .

Comment

Nothing. There is nothing more you can do. You've paid for the spay and neuter vouchers already. You've given him plenty of your time and advice. You offer to pay again and take her yourself. Irresponsible idiots. I'm willing to bet the next call will be that there are now puppies... inbred too. UGH!
      sigpic

Comment

Maybe it's just me but I would leave the whole situation alone. It seems pretty clear that they are not gonna do anything you have suggested or take any of your advise. I understand you are trying to do right by the dogs but you are getting no where and things probably won't change. Honestly they sound like the type of people I would stay clear of all together, they are and will continue to just bring you grief. Life is too short to deal with stupid people. In a couple of months I can see them wanting you to whelp and raise these pups for them also. Eventually you are gonna piss them off and then you'll be dealing with stupid and pissed off, doesn't sound pleasant to me.
        sigpic
        Silence is golden..... Duct tape is silver.

Comment

I agree and that's why I told him I would not take the male. I was hoping for ideas to convince him to get her spayed now. I do not know much a about Min-pins...Are they likely to need a c-section at 4 am on Sunday costing 3,000? I was thinking of telling him that to see his reaction. The secretary of my kennel club is a long time breeder of Min-Pins. I have put a call into her as well. Maybe she can convince him? I am hoping becasue he has two daughters that are attached to the dogs, I can convince him it would be too dangerous for her to continue the pregnancy.

He is just so stupid though. He actually told me they were going to get an EPT from the drug store and test the urine in the backyard.
          After I stopped myself from laughing, I told him that wouldn't work. I should have let him do it, and said oh-well she is not pregnant and get her spayed.

I agree I need to stay clear of them. It's hard as they are neighbors. I honestly want to sell my house and move anyways, not just becasue of them but it is a part of it. Do I have to disclose to potential buyers that the people next door are slime bags?

Milly-Harl GD,

Comment

How could you not laugh through that . If it is that bad i think your neighbor is beyond cure . I know it goes beyond me . Good luck.

Comment

I would try one last time, by suggesting he take the female to the vet for a mis-mate injection. But beyond that - I'm with the others. I don't think there's much more you can do.

Cindy

Comment

I have found info that says min pins should not be bred until they're at least 2 1/2. It also states that they're likely to need a C-section if bred before then because of the small pelvis size. I will present him with this information along with the different options for aborting the pregnancy and give it one more try. If he is still not willing to act on his mistakes, he is on his own. I have also alerted our Vets office and told them about how I paid for them to get fixed and he didn't follow through. They have promised they will not give him any breaks in price unless its to neuter/spay. Our Vet is a good guy and gives people a lot of breaks, I didn't want the neighbor playing the "poor me" crap and getting off easy if he continues this.

Milly-Harl GD,

Comment

I admire your tenacity and personal efforts (and funding) in this unfortunate situation!. However, I suspect your neighbor does not want to neuter his dogs -- or at least the female -- for reasons he is not divulging, making it difficult to arrive at an effective argument. He may have consciously or unconsciously wanted puppies (kids will love them, possible profit motive, etc etc) If he thinks the female is pregnant, he may have religious and/or emotional objections to aborting the puppies during the spaying procedure.

I don't think a lot can be gained at this point by pushing this issue any further. You already did everything except kidnap the dogs and have them neutered yourself (which he would probably have sued you for). I would be reluctant to use 'scare tactics' that aren't true. If he was convinced enough to overcome his resistance and take the female in, he would undoubtedly tell the vet he was only doing it because of what you told him. If the vet disagreed, you could have additional big problems with him.

I would just leave it alone and stay firm about what you are willing and not willing to do to help him.

Comment

I'd leave that situation alone. If the dogs tied most likely the girl is pregnant with her brother.
                    I hope the best for whom ever buys those genetic train recks.

Comment

Sometimes it takes a tragedy to teach a lesson. At a recent trip to the vet, our favorite receptionist showed us her brand new, 4 week old Saint Bernard pup that she's already had for a week and a half! Turns out the mother died during whelping. BYB situation, their first litter. The people who owned the mother were going to keep a puppy, but they were planning on having it altered. Apparently they didn't want to have puppies ever again.

Maybe this min pin bitch will die during whelp. Maybe she'll reabsorb the litter. Maybe she'll have the pups, but they'll be dead. Maybe they will be crippled or disfigured. There are just SO many things that could happen. Somehow I doubt that everything will go off without a hitch and they'll be blessed with 5 healthy pups that they can sell.

Not sure that I would be able to keep trying to help them when they clearly don't want it, or think they need it. Seems to me that energy would be better spent elswhere. Good Luck to you. I would be SO frustrated by now.
                      Last edited by WeLoveOur7Dogs; 01-11-2012, 08:05 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

He's on his own. I have finally started to learn that you can save them all...people or dogs. He all but admitted his reasons for allowing this to happen,ie all stupid reasons...Kids will learn about life(yea, most likely death)make some pocket money(well see about that). He basically gave me those as the reasons he does not want to stop her from having the presumed puppies.

I will NOT go over there to help when he calls becasue they are "stuck" mid whelping. I will not give him advice any longer or free medications becasue he is too cheap to take his dogs in. I will not watch them when he is out town, dremel their nails, or bath them either. I was trying to help them and educate them at the same time, but they probably have always had their own agenda.

Fool me once, shame on you...Fool me twice, shame on me...and with that I am done. I will keep this thread updated with info on the tragedies as they arise.

Milly-Harl GD,

Comment

Do you think he purposely did not fix them so he could have a litter and make some extra money??? If I were you I would just stay out of the situation because somehow in the end you will be in trouble! Sound's like he is money hungry since he tried to already sue you once before for obviously rediculous reasons. He IS the definition of a BYB. And also if these puppies are born even though they are inbred I'm sure they will be fine. I actually read somewhere that canine siblings DNA are like 98% different then eachother so genetically they should be fine, I don't know if that is 100% true but I read it in an article about line-breeding. You can only do so much and this man does not seem to care to get help or not want too.

Comment

You did what you could. Don't beat yourself up, some people will listen and others won't. Kudos to you for trying like hell tho, maybe, hopefully something you taught him will seep into his brain.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk
                            My Blog: My Fur-Real Life

sigpic

*Jennifer*
                            Wife to John, Mom to McKayla and Chris
                            Owned by Katie and Rio

Comment

Leave them alone, its always, always the ones you really try to help that turn around and stab you in the back. I am sure that if you do anything with there dogs, they will bother you about it later. Its hard to turn a blind eye to abuse like that, but the animal control wont take them for letting them breed. So best to just stay away!
                              sigpic

2 adults 39 yrs., 1 teen 14 yrs., 1 boxer-Copper Brown 7 1/2 yrs. old, and 1 Dane-Daisy Mae 2years old

Comment

Working...
                              X