Can Great Danes Live Outside??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Can Great Danes Live Outside??

When I think of dogs living "outside", I think it means 24/7 (and I must say I don't get it. Why in the world would someone want to get a dog and have it spend it's entire life outside?). Being outside with you, and being inside with you, and spending the night inside with you, to me doesn't qualify as an "outside" dog.

Comment

>No. They have neither the necessary physical nor the
      >emotional/psychological capabilities.

This is how I feel about it too. All our pets are inside the house. I don't feel like a pet "can be a pet" if they are not inside with the family.
      :7

Comment

good point...iīve never had children but i feel like i have a new baby now. itīs so exciting!! i love her!!

Comment

I was with Sara all afternoon today, so I could observe her whole process of dealing with the weather. During the heat of the midday, we were together in reception with the sea breeze hitting us. So there was a lot of air circulation, which cooled things off. She sat in my lap while I worked on the computer, then got down and alternated between exploring the sand and laying on the cool tile floor. She slept a little, had a biscuit, drank some water, chewed on a touristīs skirt for a while. Pretty mellow. Once the sun went down and it cooled off considerably, she went crazy!! So much energy! So I think sheīs smart enough to realize whatīs good for her. She relaxed all through the warmest part of the day and saved up energy for the cool evening, when she could play.

Comment

Well I hope you come back! I haven't added my 2 cents yet!! LOL

I think you should really consider a Standard Poodle. They do not aggravate allergies and are very clean and wonderful dogs.

We had Standard Poodles growing up as my mom is allergic to all pets. They are amazing loving fun and NOT yippy dogs. My girl Holly, the 65 pound poodle, was nicknamed the "Killer Poodle" in the neighborhood, jokingly of course, as they thought it was so cute to see suge a huge fluffy dog with such a deep bark.

The only reason I am getting a Dane and not a Standard myself is that my dog Holly, who I had since I was 11, passed away recently and I find it hard to be around Standards. The reminder is just too great and I am still not over her being gone.

I think the poofy haircut you see on them in the dog shows can be very off-putting, especially to guys. We never kept ours that way at all, and her buddy across the street, a black boy Standard, even had a mustache!!

A Standard Poodle would allow you to have an indoor dog where you can develop a great bond and not aggravate anyone's allergies.

Crystal - a bit dirty but you can see she's not a froofy dog!
            http://alicat613.tripod.ca/crystal.jpg

Comment

I wuld reccommend a Giant poodle. My coworker has a hundred pound one thats about the size of my dane.

And yes some dogs will be ok outside but not all and as much as you wish you cannot control the personality of a dane. If you get a puppy who grows up to be super needy and clingy and can't handle being locked outside alone at night, then what?

Comment

I didn't realize that Standards could compete in field championship competitions. Good to learn they are still doing what they were bred to do. If I couldn't have a big dog, I'd certainly consider a Standard.

mp

Comment

NO!! I would NOT condone this person getting a Poodle or a Dane. Why do you want a dog?? For a fashion statement?? If your family is allergic then DONT GET A DOG!! I dont think any dog should be left outside (especially a Dane--but Im biased).

So, from what Ive gathered, you just want A BIG DOG, and thought a Great Dane would be a good option. (!!??!!!!!??!!!??!!)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not get a Dane. You have zero knowledge on them and obviously dont give much concern to the breed (YOU JUST WANT A BIG DOG!!!). I think that perhaps a fish or a doll may be what your family needs.

I dont believe in pussy-footing around an issue and even though everyone that replied was quite nice, I think that everyone should have said; 'NO, DO NOT GET A DOG!!! OF ANY KIND!!! (once again, think of setting up a fish tank!!!)

Sorry

Comment

The point was that a poodle doesn't need to live outside or be away from people with allergies as they do not aggravate allergies.
                    They are great pets for people who are allergic to other dogs.

Comment

This sounds great!! Can I come live with you? :7
                      My best boy, Trooper.
                      sigpic

Comment

>NO!! I would NOT condone this person getting a Poodle or a
                        >Dane. Why do you want a dog?? For a fashion statement??
                        >If your family is allergic then DONT GET A DOG!! I dont
                        >think any dog should be left outside (especially a Dane--but
                        >Im biased).
                        >
                        >So, from what Ive gathered, you just want A BIG DOG, and
                        >thought a Great Dane would be a good option.
                        >(!!??!!!!!??!!!??!!)
                        >
                        >PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not get a Dane. You
                        >have zero knowledge on them and obviously dont give much
                        >concern to the breed (YOU JUST WANT A BIG DOG!!!). I think
                        >that perhaps a fish or a doll may be what your family needs.
                        >
                        >I dont believe in pussy-footing around an issue and even
                        >though everyone that replied was quite nice, I think that
                        >everyone should have said; 'NO, DO NOT GET A DOG!!! OF ANY
                        >KIND!!! (once again, think of setting up a fish tank!!!)
                        >
                        >Sorry

Geez - sounds like you need some medication. Did you realize this original post was 2 months old? The poster could have bought his Dane and bred a litter of pups already. }>
                        My best boy, Trooper.
                        sigpic

Comment

Gorgeous poodle, Alicat!! My best friend has a black Standard and he's a fabulous dog. If people are put off by the haircut, I say "so much the better". They are an undiscovered treasure, I think.
                          My best boy, Trooper.
                          sigpic

Comment

With me? Of course! You and your Dane are welcome anytime you need a vacation in Mexico! Check out our cabaņas at www.cabanascopal.com. Maybe I can offer a special Dane owner vacation package and get Sara some doggie playmates!

Comment

Good point on the post being 2 months old

But the medication thing. . . Would you condone your Dane being an outside dog? I don't think Danes should ever be outside dogs. My Danes would absolutly be miserable outside.

What I was saying about the poodle thing, is that I dont think anyone should settle for a breed of dog that they dont know much about just because it is BIG.

After rescuing 'Tuesday', my first Dane (it's his 10th birthday today!!) from the worst situation you can imagine, you can bet that I will speak up when people ask if Danes should be outside dogs---They SHOULDN'T!!! I didn't mean to be so harsh, I just don't want to see another Dane in anguish.

I maybe should be on medication when I hear of animals being put in situations that make them unhappy, but until a doctor gives me these meds, I'm going to keep on telling people that Danes shouldn't be outside dogs.

Once again, good point on the 1st post being 2 months ago, I hadn't paid attention to that when I originally posted. Sorry

Ami

Comment

"NO!! I would NOT condone this person getting a Poodle or a Dane. Why do you want a dog?? For a fashion statement?? If your family is allergic then DONT GET A DOG!! I dont think any dog should be left outside (especially a Dane--but Im biased).
                                So, from what Ive gathered, you just want A BIG DOG, and thought a Great Dane would be a good option. (!!??!!!!!??!!!??!!)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not get a Dane. You have zero knowledge on them and obviously dont give much concern to the breed (YOU JUST WANT A BIG DOG!!!). I think that perhaps a fish or a doll may be what your family needs.

I dont believe in pussy-footing around an issue and even though everyone that replied was quite nice, I think that everyone should have said; 'NO, DO NOT GET A DOG!!! OF ANY KIND!!! (once again, think of setting up a fish tank!!!)"

I do not write in all that often, since i do not own a dane as of this time, i feel as if my opinion would be less than welcome since i do not have the experience to offer what many would consider credible advice, and so i lurk. however, i felt the need to reply to this message in defense of the person who wrote the original post:

In response to the first statement, getting a dog as a fashionn statement is one of the cruelest things a person can do, when every dog, no matter WHAT breed deserves a loving home with people who care about him/her as a member of the family, not a piece of pretty decoration. and to make an accusation like that is delibrately threatening and rude. There is nothing in the posts that i have seen to lead me to believe that this person had any intention of getting a dane for a fashion statement, or any other such frivolous purpose.

I think a lot of the time many people on this site are very critical of people who write in looking for advice, and seem to forget that these people "wrote in looking for advice!" you didn't "catch them in the act" about to commit a horrible crime against the dane breed delibrately, and reprimanding them for it is quite arrogant in my opinion. most of these people are on this site asking for help because they DO care about the breed and are trying to do what's best for their present/future dogs. perhaps i give everyone too much credit, but this post alone is assuming many things that are not necessarily true:

this person only wants a dane for shallow purposes
                                they have zero knowledge about the breed
                                they do not give much concern to the breed
                                they "just want a BIG DOG!"

and overall, it seems to assume that the person does not deserve to have a dog, and an expendable fish would be more suited (i happen to like fish, and if the person is as horrible as you would assume, i wouldn't want them to have a fish either! though, as you said, you're biased to great danes and other animals might not hold as much value to you)

the accusations that this person has no knowledge or concern are the most offensive i think, merely because obviously if the person has no knowledge, it's something they wish to remedy by posting questions on this amazing site of information, and to say that they have no concern doesn't make sense either because why would they write in to begin with? it seems that if all these accusations were true, we never would have heard from this guy, except maybe to rescue his dane from a rescue organization, because he would have gone out and bought his dog not caring what reputable breeders and experienced owners would say about his situation. so, in closing, i would just like to say that though this post was not directed towards me (though i suspect the next one will be) it was offensive as a potential owner who has been researching for months to learn more about the breed before i am even in a position to buy one. i'm sorry if this post is offensive, but i feel the need to be defensive on behalf of this potential owner. thankyou for your time

Adryan

Comment

Working...
                                X