limping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• limping

when i came home from work today i noticed ludo was walking funny. he wasn't limping, but favoring his front right leg. as the night went on, he began limping and cries a little when he goes to lie down or gets up. he's acting very lethargic (i knew something was wrong when i went to take him for a walk and he just layed on the couch). he lets me move the leg around and i checked the feet multiple times. it seems its in his shoulder. do ya think its just a pulled muscle? or could it be something serious?

thanks for the advice...
    sigpic

-erin and ludo (5 years old)

I have a Merle Female who did this about a month ago. She started off with a slight limp and it progressively got worse to where she would whine when getting up or laying down. I could have swore she acted like it was in her shoulder as well and I thought she has pulled a muscle or something just like you. So I didnt take her in right away to see if it would get better with a little time and "bedrest". She would still run around outside, but once she started walking, she would start to limp again.
    So off to the vet we went.
    We have a very Dane knowledgeable Vet luckily, so she looked for everything under the sun. Our Vet finally narrowed it down to her foot because this is where she would pull her leg back and whine when you pressed hard enough the most. We took x-rays and low and behold, she had broken a toe. She offered splinting the foot, but we had been down that road before with our Male, and so she gave her an Adequan injection for the inflammation and put her on Dasaquin and told me to limit her activity the best we could.
    So we did and a month later, she was fine! Next x-ray looked great.
    I dont know if this is what happened to your Dane, but it was just my first thought from my own experience.
    I would think he could have very easily torn a muscle or "tweeked" something.
    Good luck. Keep us posted!
    [SIGPIC]sigpic
    Vanessa

Bree - 5 yr old Mantle Female (Rescued, Spayed)
    Brodee - 12 Month old Fawn Male
    "Divine Acres Time Well Spent"

Comment

Does he have a fever too? If so you might want to have the vet do a lyme disease test on him. Typical symptoms are like flu for humans, lethargic, fever, aching limbs and joints.
      Tricia, and
      sigpic
      Finn - Wysiwyg's Celtic Warrior CGC RN
      Phoebe - Wysiwyg's Celtic Secret of a Nightingale
      and at the bridge, Lily (2.27.01 - 12.10.09)
      www.cardiffarms.com

Comment

when i went to work this morning he seemed okay.. no more limping but would still cry a little when i touched a certain spot on his shoulder. he kept me up all night though, whining and crying when he would lay a certain way, but as of now he's fine. the limp is gone and he hasn't cried once. im guessing he just pulled something and was hurting a little. thanks for the help!
        sigpic

-erin and ludo (5 years old)

Comment

hi everyone. I noticed today that my 6 yr. old dane is limping. Dunno if it would be considered "true" limping!lol She's not holding any paw up, and she is moving around just fine other than I noticed a slight awkwardness in her step. She has not whined or cried at all. When I ask for her paw she will even give me the one she's lightly stepping on. I examined her myself, and could not see or feel anything out of the ordinary, but then again, I'm not a vet. There is NO indication she is in any type of pain. I, too, decided to wait to go to a vet, but came here for advice.
          Aspens Good Girl Sophie, "Sophie" 11/16/02-6/6/13
          goodgirlboutique.com

Comment

Hi there. I would suggest if she is still limping with no improvement in 24 hours take her to the vet. If it improves you can watch it longer. Is she on any glucosamine? If not I would start now. I give my dane synovi G3 chews, but there are lots of options out there. You can ask your vet what the suggest. Good luck.
            sigpic Brenda
            RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
            Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

Working...
            X