Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I keep my Dane puppy entertained?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I keep my Dane puppy entertained?

We have a 5 month old blue Dane puppy. He is the sweetest thing ever, but gets bored easily and resorts to digging and crazy energy burst. Does anyone have any tips to keep him happy and content? Fetch lasts for about five minutes with him, and is really more of me chasing him trying to get whatever I threw back lol. Please help.

Work on training with him. If I spend 15 mins training my guys, they are more exhausted than if I played fetch with them for 30 mins.

Comment

I take mine for long walks out in the bush trails and I use a long line leash so for every kilometer I walk he walks three lol.

Comment

I totally agree with working on training - the commands tend to calm her down. She loves playing Hide-n-Seek for treats (works on the recall command). I also give Checkers a Kong stuffed with Peanut Butter and dog food and/or some type of edible chew thing (i.e. bully stick, stuffed bones, busy bones, etc). When her mouth is busy - she is happy.
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks you guys! I do work on the training with him a couple of times a day, which does calm him down a bit but doesn't really keep him calm for long. Which on a side note about training, are Danes too big to do "roll over"? lol Bc he can't seem to catch on to that one. I just went out and got him some butchers bones which I'm hoping will help, he seems to enjoy them. I'm curious do anyone else's Danes tend to try and dig in the carpet or bed? Do they like the feel of it? I've never had another dog that did that but this is my first Dane.

Comment

When you are their only source of entertainment, it gets old quick! Im not fond of dog parks, but finding one where you can go at "off" times would help or finding friends to set up play dates works best.
            Anything off leash in a big controlled area that is not only mentally stimulating but also physically stimulating will be your saving grace over the next year.
            Carolyn
            Divine Acres Great Danes
            Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
            sigpic

Comment

Treat Dispensing Toys can keep him busy for a while - unlike with regular Kong, the dog is moving to get treats from the toy so it gets some exercises/'energy out' (you can use his kibbles instead of treats); just remember to substract what he ate from toys, from his regular feeding.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002I0RN0/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX 0DER"]Amazon.com: Premier Twist and Treat Dog Toy, Large: Pet Supplies[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kong-Wobbler-Treat-Dispensing-Large/dp/B003ALMW0M/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1363302268&sr=1-1&keywords=kong+wobbler"]Amazon.com: Kong Wobbler Treat Dispensing Dog Toy, Large: Pet Supplies[/ame]

for playing on the backyard, if he is not interested in fetch, you can try Kong Chase-it, or just a toy on a string
              [ame="http://www.amazon.com/KONG-Chase-It-Squeaking-Assorted-Characters/dp/B00AEJANCW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1363302517&sr=1-1&keywords=kong+chase-it+wand"]Amazon.com: KONG Chase-It Wand Squeaking Dog Toy, Assorted Characters: Pet Supplies[/ame]
              (just make sure you keep it low so puppy is running after it, not jumping up too much

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSammysMommy View Post
                I'm curious do anyone else's Danes tend to try and dig in the carpet or bed? Do they like the feel of it? I've never had another dog that did that but this is my first Dane.
                Lola does this a lot. She's 2 years old and we've never figured out a way to get her to quit...

Comment

Thanks again to all of you guys. This forum seems to be really helpful. Can I friend request you guys? I'm new to the site and now really sure how to navigate it totally yet. I can't figure out how to post a picture of Sammy either lol.

Comment

I read that you should not teach a Dane to roll over because of tortion and bloat

Comment

Working...
                    X