Question regarding aggressive playing/signs of aggressive behavior

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding aggressive playing/signs of aggressive behavior

Our new rescue Lily has been showing some aggression towards other dogs. The rescue said she was friendly with other dogs, but when we take her for walks whenever we come across another owner walking a dog she lunges, barks and growls at the dog. Then yesterday every time her and Gunner played she would take him down by the neck. Is this normal behavior or do I need to be worried? We have always had mellow playful dogs and none of ours have ever played by constantly going for the neck. We are coming to realize that the family that fostered her may not have been fully truthful on her profile evaluation as they left out several medical condition and now this. Also last night my 6 year old was petting her and she turned and grabbed her arm. She didn't bite and as soon as she put her arm in her mouth I caught her and she backed off. Now I'm a little nervous that she may not have the personality that we thought she did. I don't want to give up on her but I also don't want to put our kids or Gunner in danger if she's unpredictable. I don't know what to do....

Best to communicate your concerns with the Rescue group and let them offer the recommendations.

Comment

I would be very careful with your new foster, IMO you have really young children and this is a bit risky. Some dogs are short tempered and iffy. Some dogs have few manners and treat other dogs too rough during play and are quick to turn a little play into a game of who's the boss.
      She may have one of those type of personalities.
      I personly won't have an adult dog around my kids unless it was a bug softy.
      Some dogs grab arms and hands because they want to play. I've meet a lot of smaller puppies that go strait for adult dogs necks and legs they seem to grow out of it.
      So she could be lacking in training or she could have a short fuze.
      I'd probably return her, or ask a trainer to evaluate her.
      But her behavior suggests she is reactive and that's a personality flaw I'd leave alone.

Comment

How long have you had her? She may be really overwhelmed right now, but it could be signs of more things to come as well. I would get a qualified behaviorist involved asap and communicate with the rescue your concerns.

Comment

Thanks guys. I spoke with the rescue and they said we needed to give her some time. We've only had her for four days and she's been shuffled from the shelter to the rescue to her foster home then to us all in about a month and a half so they thought she was just scared and didn't know yet that she was safe.

I have a call into a professional trainer to set-up a meeting for her to evaluate her. My husband has fallen in love with her as she's his shadow so he doesn't want to give her up. All our other dogs have always been big mama's boys and teddy bears so he's excited to have a dog that always wants to be with him for a change.

So, I guess I'll give her some time. Get her the training she needs and just ensure that I am always in the same room with her and the kids until we know for sure of her temperment. Both the shelter she was turned in at and the foster family said she was kid tested and did great with kids and that she also did great with other dogs which is why all this behavior really shocked me.

I'll keep my chin up and be watchful and give her the chance she so deserves and hopefully it will all work out.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnerp View Post
            ... just ensure that I am always in the same room with her and the kids until we know for sure of her temperment.
            This is always the best policy even if you've had the dog for years. Never EVER leave children alone with a dog. Accidents happen.
            Misty, Leonidas (Dane), and Valor (Pomeranian Mix)
            Current 52 Photo Project:http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDu8ALZ

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas&Fam View Post
              This is always the best policy even if you've had the dog for years. Never EVER leave children alone with a dog. Accidents happen.
              Thanks! I guess we've never thought of it as a big deal as we've always had our dogs from puppy stage and they grew alongside our kids. Adopting a rescue is all new to us so we want to ensure we do what's best for our family along with Lily in order to keep everyone safe. She's still on edge today and Gunner seems to be exerting his "I'm the man of the house" attitude towards her as he's been picking fights with her all day. My husband says we just need to give her time to feel safe and us time to adjust. I really hope this all works out.

Comment

Be sure you kind of ignore Lily and give LOTS of attention to Gunner. That lets Lily get comfortable without too much stimulation and help Gunner not feel you--his resource--is threatened by Lily.

As long as your hubby can take care of Lily's basic needs, I would suggest you completely ignore her--just keep your eye on her and step in only to remove her from a situation that makes her react poorly. You'll have plenty of time to bond once she settles in.
                Tracy
                sigpic
                Mouse April 2010
                Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Please make sure you're husband is careful with Lexi and her fondness towards him. It's really cool to be the fav at first and then when they start to guard their favorite its not quite as fun.

Just a learned experience that I hope to help you avoid. Good luck and I hope everything works out with her.

Comment

Our new rescue Lily has been showing some aggression towards other dogs. The rescue said she was friendly with other dogs, but when we take her for walks whenever we come across another owner walking a dog she lunges, barks and growls at the dog. Then yesterday every time her and Gunner played she would take him down by the neck. Is this normal behavior or do I need to be worried? We have always had mellow playful dogs and none of ours have ever played by constantly going for the neck. We are coming to realize that the family that fostered her may not have been fully truthful on her profile evaluation as they left out several medical condition and now this. Also last night my 6 year old was petting her and she turned and grabbed her arm. She didn't bite and as soon as she put her arm in her mouth I caught her and she backed off. Now I'm a little nervous that she may not have the personality that we thought she did. I don't want to give up on her but I also don't want to put our kids or Gunner in danger if she's unpredictable. I don't know what to do....
                    I'm just going to throw this out there, how much exercise are you doing with Lily? She sounds like she is more on track with Jazz who has to be let to run and entertained in the yard hours a day (literally!) She rough houses like no other! If I don't get the energy out of her, then she is a hellion! It is only after she has been allowed to blow off steam in the yard etc, that we can go on "nice" walks or play politely. If I let the 2 dogs out in the yard first thing in the AM together, you can bet everything Blues is getting body slammed hard by Jazz.

Blues my laid back goofy guy is good with whatever exercise I offer, he doesn't "have to have it" in order to behave.

Maybe more free exercise will help? It does here, or maybe I just have crazy dogs!

Em
                    sigpic
                    Emily
                    Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
                    Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
                    Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzandcompany View Post
                      I'm just going to throw this out there, how much exercise are you doing with Lily? She sounds like she is more on track with Jazz who has to be let to run and entertained in the yard hours a day (literally!) She rough houses like no other! If I don't get the energy out of her, then she is a hellion! It is only after she has been allowed to blow off steam in the yard etc, that we can go on "nice" walks or play politely. If I let the 2 dogs out in the yard first thing in the AM together, you can bet everything Blues is getting body slammed hard by Jazz.

Blues my laid back goofy guy is good with whatever exercise I offer, he doesn't "have to have it" in order to behave.

Maybe more free exercise will help? It does here, or maybe I just have crazy dogs!

Em
                      That's a great idea and may be the issue. We go on two walks a day and they are in and out of the house all day, but maybe they need a more lengthy run outside. I will give it a try. Gunner and Lily have been outside running around for the past hour and a half. I keep going out to check and make sure everything's okay and it seemds to be. They have just been rolling around playing and chasing each other. I just haven't ever had a dog that grabs the neck and she's so much smaller than Gunner (she's 30" and only 103lbs compared to Gunner's 37" and 155lbs) and yet she easily pulls him down. Of course he's such a big baby that he kind of just drops down dead weight and falls over on top of her .

I know training will also help as I don't think she was properly socialized nor ever given boundaries. Obviously she had very little training since she is still learning to sit and knows no other commands. Today when I was dancing around the house with my 1 year old she ran and jump and grabbed by sweater. I don't think she meant anything by it, it just appears she does not know boundaries yet and that you can't play with people the way you do dogs. I just don't want her doing anything like that with the kids. I'm still waiting to hear back from the trainer on the evaluation. Hopefully she'll call me back by tomorrow so we can get Lily's training started and give her some confidence and boundary skills.
                      Last edited by Gunnerp; 02-01-2012, 04:44 PM.

Comment

I just haven't ever had a dog that grabs the neck and she's so much smaller than Gunner (she's 30" and only 103lbs compared to Gunner's 37" and 155lbs) and yet she easily pulls him down. Of course he's such a big baby that he kind of just drops down dead weight and falls over on top of her .
                        Ha! Sounds just like my two!!! Jazz is clearly the rougher of the two and tackles Blues all of the time. Sometimes she forgets that it isn't Blues and put her Rotty friend flat on the ground the other night I really have to keep after her when she decides to break into a run after Preston, luckily he is able to get into spaces she cannot! Jazz has a lot of gusto and momentarily forgets who she is playing with!

I'm sure all will be well soon, and she'll get the boundaries in no time!
                        sigpic
                        Emily
                        Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
                        Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
                        Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzandcompany View Post
                          Ha! Sounds just like my two!!! Jazz is clearly the rougher of the two and tackles Blues all of the time. Sometimes she forgets that it isn't Blues and put her Rotty friend flat on the ground the other night I really have to keep after her when she decides to break into a run after Preston, luckily he is able to get into spaces she cannot! Jazz has a lot of gusto and momentarily forgets who she is playing with!

I'm sure all will be well soon, and she'll get the boundaries in no time!
                          Thanks! That makes me feel a bit more confident that she'll be okay. Maybe she's just a little spitball of spunk . We're so use to the big teddy bear boys that live for hugs all day long.

Comment

Please be careful with your kids. I do not want to get involved in this conversation, but to say one thing. Make sure that you are being honest with yourself and not trying to make excuses for the situation. I am very raw with emotion right now, because a very sad one year anniversary is coming up for me. I made lots of excuses for Carlie's behavior, but truth be told, she was abused before I got her, and no matter how many behaviorists and trainers I went to, she was mentally ill. Love, time and attention could not fix her. My daughter bears scars, forever, from her. Just please be careful.
                            Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
                            Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
                            RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crdane View Post
                              Please be careful with your kids. I do not want to get involved in this conversation, but to say one thing. Make sure that you are being honest with yourself and not trying to make excuses for the situation. I am very raw with emotion right now, because a very sad one year anniversary is coming up for me. I made lots of excuses for Carlie's behavior, but truth be told, she was abused before I got her, and no matter how many behaviorists and trainers I went to, she was mentally ill. Love, time and attention could not fix her. My daughter bears scars, forever, from her. Just please be careful.
                              That is so heartbreaking and I think what has me so nervous and on-guard about the whole situation. I know the idea of rescuing is to save a dane and give it a loving forever home, it just makes me nervouse that none of these things we've encountered were in her profile. Is it just us, or all the change for her, or was the foster family not truthful on her profile. I never imagined I would be in this situation as we screened profiles so thouroughly to make sure they were good with kids and dogs. She's such a sweet girl, I wanted to believe it's just her being scared and in a new place, but I'm also afraid of the unknown.

Comment

Working...
                              X