Best tick treatment for yards?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best tick treatment for yards?

Our boxer puppy-producer neighbor abandoned their property about 3 months ago. They let their house go into foreclosure and now the yard is overgrown to head-high. It's a lovely sight.

When they left, they had 8 boxers, all kept outdoors in kennels. Now that their dogs are gone and their yard is a jungle, I am noticing that we now have a tick problem. I will find at least 2 a day in the house where they've come in on the dogs and dropped off since the dogs have flea/tick protection. I just got one off my 5-year-old son.

I want to treat our yard, but I want to use the safest thing possible since both of my boys and both of the dogs run around out there. Would sprinkling DE work? Is there a safe chemical treatment?

Thanks for the advice!
    sigpic
    RIP my sweet Zeus Boy. I'll always love you. 08/28/01 - 08/23/11
    Levi...born June 29th, 2011
    Stella...Gotcha Day May 19th, 2013 (born February 26, 2012)
    Levi and Stella's Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/LeviAndStella?ref=hl

I'm hoping someone knows of such a thing. The ticks are terrible here.
    sigpic
    Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

I use :
      http://www.ecosmart.com/products/ins...pes-10-lb-bag/
      Goes into my little green Scott's spreader just like seed/ fertilizer.
      Just essential oils, sawdust, granite powder. Like 10 bucks at Home Depot.

Comment

Originally posted by CausticWit View Post
        I use :
        http://www.ecosmart.com/products/ins...pes-10-lb-bag/
        Goes into my little green Scott's spreader just like seed/ fertilizer.
        Just essential oils, sawdust, granite powder. Like 10 bucks at Home Depot.
        Thank you!
        sigpic

Comment

Makes your yard smell like icy hot for a few hours but I haven't seen a tick since I started. My neighbors don't treat their dogs or yard so I feel your pain.

Comment

DE does work but you need to reapply after it rains.
            "The human language, as precise as it is with its thousands of words, can still be so wonderfully vague"....Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain

Comment

Don't know where ya live, but we use chickens, and guinea hens.
              "Here at Mommas house everyone is home"
              sigpic

Comment

Treat the dogs with frontline as this will kill the ticks.. if they cant feed on anything then their cycle will eventually stop..

Ive never heard of a treatment for the yard? wow thats cool
                No, he is not a dalmatian, No not even half - He is a purebred Great Dane.. Yes im sure!! Yes they come in this colour!

Comment

Originally posted by The Accidental Dane Mom View Post
                  Don't know where ya live, but we use chickens, and guinea hens.
                  I was going to suggest the guineas too if at all possible. I don't think there's anything better at natural tick control than them. Certainly not an option if you live in a city though.
                  Chickens are ok too but nothing compared to those guinea fowl.

Comment

Originally posted by Napoleon <3 View Post
                    Treat the dogs with frontline as this will kill the ticks.. if they cant feed on anything then their cycle will eventually stop..

Ive never heard of a treatment for the yard? wow thats cool
                    The dogs are already on Frontline. That's why the ticks are dropping off of them inside the house and I'm finding them all the time.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by reynosa_k9's View Post
                      I was going to suggest the guineas too if at all possible. I don't think there's anything better at natural tick control than them. Certainly not an option if you live in a city though.
                      Chickens are ok too but nothing compared to those guinea fowl.
                      Our neighbors have free-roaming chickens. They occasionally come into our yard, but having our own is out of the question as Levi has a very high prey drive and would love nothing more than to make some feathers fly.
                      sigpic

Comment

We are also having an awful tick season. I definitely want to try this but have a very stupid question to ask about it. It says "Safe around Children and Pets, Non toxic" but then has this statement:

PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS: Caution – We recommend good safety practices when using any pesticides, such as avoiding contact with eyes and skin and keeping out of the reach of children. If product gets in eyes, flush with water. If on skin, wash with soap and water. If irritation persists, contact a physician.

Would this not bother the dogs pads? Or am I just reading too much and this is a statement that has to be posted.

CausticWit, I know you use it and have no problems but just wanted to make sure. I'm such a paranoid mom.
                        sigpic
                        *Jennifer*
                        Mom to 3 skin kids
                        (Braden-8yr, Mackenzie-11yr & Anthony-19yr)
                        1 German Shepherd (Sadie - 6 yrs)
                        1 Harl Great Dane (Shelby - 4 yrs)
                        1 Black Great Dane (Enzo - 2 yr)

Comment

I'm with you on the worried part, I tested on my skin and cheek(moist) it didn't bother me. I also put it on a bedtime, so that the dew would disperse it a bit overnight

Comment

Working...
                          X