Options to protect incision?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Options to protect incision?

Hank was neutered and had a gastropexy done yesterday- and is doing well. Right now he has to wear the cone of shame- but it is so big he gets stuck and knocks things over lol.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to cover up the gastropexy incision so he can't lick it- and to stop my other dogs from licking the incision. And maybe he won't have to wear the cone for the next 2 weeks!
    Attached Files

You could try a lamb tube to keep the other dogs from licking the incision. I like the inflatable donut collar better than the cone, they just don't work for issues on the feet or tail because the dog can still reach.
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

I got this for pup when he got his ears done.. didnt bug him at all. Think i spent 25 bucks at local pet store and its washable

Xerxes Knight GD (April 29 2016 - present)
      Hannibal Knight GD (July 15 2003 - Nov 5 2015)

Comment

If you put a tee shirt (one of yours, that is) on him and gather the excess will that be long enough to cover the incision? I prefer the idea of the inflatable type collar over the cone too, but neither collar will help with the issue of other dogs.
        sigpic
        Fergus
        SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
        Eisen Shark
        C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Rhet recently got nuetered - but it was more like a spay due to undecended testicles. Take it from someone who tried to not do the cone of shame ....: do the cone of shame! and we kept him separate from the other dogs. For the first couple of nights we tried a few different methods and by the 4th night he was draining everywhere!! Apparently he was able to still reach the incision and irritated it..... Ugh! It ended up being a headache- all healed now though.

If I could do it over again I would keep him in a cone from the beginning.

Comment

Cleo had a big incision after she swallowed a stuffy several years ago. I found a t-shirt worked well. Just try to gather up the extra material and tie it in a knot on her back. Good luck!
            sigpicKelly

Comment

Working...
            X