Cow Patties?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Patties?

About 2 days ago, Bogart ate a small hole in the wall. It was to be expected - we were gone on Christmas for about 8 hours and the house was puppy-proofed. We wore him out before we left and when when we came home the house was great, no accidents, but there's about a 2 inch hole in the wall where he seems to have dug a hole by the window sill. Not the end of the world as far as destruction goes. I know he ate the hole because he was bored....he's never alone that long.

Now we're going on day 2 of diarrhea (cow-patty style). It could be related, or unrelated I guess, but it's the drywall is the only thing I can think of that he has gotten into. He recently switched foods to a grain-free and his poo was firming up nicely until this started. Since the switch he has been wanting to eat more so maybe it's just simple over feeding on this new food and has nothing to do with the drywall - we've been more careful about the amount we're feeding just in case.

Other than this, he's acting normally. What can I do for him? Pumpkin? Should I call the vet tomorrow and have him seen? Wait a couple more days? Any experience? Thanks all!
    Nicole
    Mom to 4 little ones and 1 not so little blue dane (Bogart)

How old is he? We have had good luck with pumpkin to help firm the stools when Ximmy eats something she shouldn't. You certainly can;t hurt him with a spoonful of pumpkin (not pie mix, just straight canned pumpkin)
    sigpicLynn - Ximmy's Mom's Mom - John & Lynsie, skin kids, Faela & Gus skin grandkids,OnzaPous, ReignaPous, Banshee & Kit-ten and now Dare Devil and Fuzzy Butt the cats, and of course......Ximmy Ximmy Xoom Xoom and [COLOR=red]Sprocket (aka Sprockey Wocky Puppy Pants) and Sibanca our newest Dane rescue

Comment

He's just over 5mo. I picked up some pumpkin today but haven't opened it yet....it's straight organic pumpkin puree.
      Nicole

Comment

Pumpkin's helping but not 100%. I also noticed the other day that he lost a baby-tooth. Can teething cause poop issues in dogs like it can with human babies?
        Nicole

Comment

You bet teething can cause diarrhea! It also makes ear set go up and down, all kinds of goofy growth things and appetite changes.
          How long has he been on the grain free? Sometimes it is a bit rich for puppies and may take several weeks before his stools firm up, especially since he is also teething.
          I would keep up the pumpkin and if his stools are very runny, take a sample into the vet for a fecal check to be safe. Also, be sure to take his temp. Carolyn always recommends a temp check, and it is great advice.
          If you take him to the vet, one of the first things they do is check the temperature.
          sigpicLynn - Ximmy's Mom's Mom - John & Lynsie, skin kids, Faela & Gus skin grandkids,OnzaPous, ReignaPous, Banshee & Kit-ten and now Dare Devil and Fuzzy Butt the cats, and of course......Ximmy Ximmy Xoom Xoom and [COLOR=red]Sprocket (aka Sprockey Wocky Puppy Pants) and Sibanca our newest Dane rescue

Comment

Originally posted by isdapous View Post
            You bet teething can cause diarrhea! It also makes ear set go up and down, all kinds of goofy growth things and appetite changes.
            How long has he been on the grain free? Sometimes it is a bit rich for puppies and may take several weeks before his stools firm up, especially since he is also teething.
            I would keep up the pumpkin and if his stools are very runny, take a sample into the vet for a fecal check to be safe. Also, be sure to take his temp. Carolyn always recommends a temp check, and it is great advice.
            If you take him to the vet, one of the first things they do is check the temperature.
            Thank you Lynn! His ears have been SO funny over the last several months. First it's one, and then it's the other.

He's only been grain-free for a week or so. When he first switched his poop was better, more firm than it had been in months...then it started getting softer and softer. I'll call the vet about a stool sample and temp check. Thankfully his behavior has been really good and he's acting normal. Thank you again Lynn.
            Nicole

Comment

I agree with the above. Stress can also cause the runs. It is probably a combination of teething, new food, drywall and stress of being left alone for a long period of time (if he isn't used to that). A big tablespoon of pumpkin per serving should help. You could also give him some immodium.
              sigpic
              Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
              Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
              www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

drywall has all sorts of nasty chemicals in it, emulsifiers (makes things soft) anti-fungals which will reak havoc with gut.... simple case of what goes in...
                Aadan 12 mo.!
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X