Heartworm medicine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heartworm medicine

I have 2 great danes, one weighs 142 lbs, the other weighs 169 lbs. They don't have a flea problem, but I am concerned with heartworms. They recently had their yearly checkup which was negative and my vet chastised me for not having them on heartworm meds. I bought a month supply from them for 50$, and that's really not an option for me on a monthly basis.
    What do you all do? I've seen Austalian websites like petshed.com and the australian equine store that sell the same products for half the price. I'm nervous about giving my pups something like that if I don't know where it's coming from- have any of you had an experience with online websites in other countries? If not, what do you use for heartworm medicine that is not costly?
    Thanks.
    sigpic
    The boys!
    Dax 4/18/08 and Argos 4/09/09

heartworms

I've used Ivermectin since it first came out to use it. Have had no problems with any of my dogs.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...514016840.html

Comment

I got mine at Farm and Fleet. I bought the vial before last season; I will finish this season and perhaps into next. I believe I paid around $45. I also bought some syringes from them ($1.50 for 3) to draw up the correct amount; don't inject it, give it orally. I have heard it tastes bad, so I put it into a chunk of dry bread and smear some peanut butter on it. I believe the dogs don't even chew it on the way down.
      sigpic
      Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

I use Ivermectin. You can purchase Ivermectin from places online like Jeffers Vet. See another current thread about this - http://www.dolforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63401 .

(There are some breeds, like Collies, that should not be given this.)

I would not purchase HW prevention from questionable websites. If you find Heartguard or Interceptor substantially cheaper than the norm, I would be leery.
        Bev
        Foto Danes

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks so much!
          sigpic
          The boys!
          Dax 4/18/08 and Argos 4/09/09

Comment

Working...
          X