Growth spurts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growth spurts?

Willow had a growth spurt between 2-3 months, but hasn't seemed to get much bigger or add weight during month 4. She's currently about 54 lbs.

Are there typical growth spurt ages for Great Danes?
    Sara

w/ Penny Bella & Willow Jayne
    sigpic

It really depends on the dog and the bloodline behind it.

When you say hasn't grown at all in a month - are you sure? That is not normal for that age. The size doesn't sound too far off for the age, but you should see some growth, even if very little compared to a rapid growth spurt.

I would have the pup checked by the vet for parasites. What are you feeding?
    *Jennifer*
    Member GDC of Mid-Florida
    sigpic

Comment

She's been parasite checked recently and nothing there. She eats 4Health Large Breed. I'm with her nearly constantly so my hubby say I don't notice her growth, he insists she's gotten taller and her face shape is changing. Her weight has not changed more than a pound or two though.
      Sara

w/ Penny Bella & Willow Jayne
      sigpic

Comment

Wieght isnt the only indicator of growth Some puppies (just like some children) chunk up and then grow up. During the "up" their is little to no weight as they added that first during the chunk stage.

Comment

my lola is the same .she has stayed at 28 inches for 4 months. .from 6 months until she hit 10 months..but her weight did go up,but no growth..she ,at 11 months is only 28 an half so basically half inch in 5 months!!!!!its very upsetting I took her to the vet and shes 98 pounds and healthy.her mom was at least 33 and dad was bigger so im stumped as well..she eats 4 health...I call her my pocket dane
          sigpic

Comment

Kumah is 14 months now and 29.5 inches tall and probly just under 90lbs. She kinda stopped growing once she hit 9 or 10 months but just recently added the half inch. She's my first dane and I got her from a BYB. Her parents in my opinion were not overly large so I think her size is genetic. She also was the smallest of the remaining pups in the litter when I picked her up. Don't get me wrong she is big but she's just not quite as tall as her dane friends. What she doesn't have in height she does have in stalkiness. I think she could possibly have some European lines in her because she is built differently then the danes that we get together with at the park. (Or its just poor breeding)
            Don't forget that they grow in their own way. She will get there eventually. I love watching danes grow, its so fun and exciting.
            Last edited by Kumah; 02-14-2014, 06:09 AM.
            ~Kelsey, mom to~
            Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
            Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
            Cece- Calico 4 years
            Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
            Tyke- 4 months

Comment

A Dane with growth pains

My Dane is currently 8 months old. He has been growing at rapid speeds, I could probably sit on the couch and watch him grow right before my eyes. My room mate often comments on how much he has grown when she has been away for a weekend. He gains roughly 2 kilos a week. Give or take. Over the past 2 months I have noticed him
              Waking up through the night crying. I believe they may be growth pains as he stretches his legs out and he seems to settle when I put heat packs on his legs.
              Is there anything I can give him to help him out? The vet believes they a froth pains too but I am starting to notice that here in Australia, there is not nearly as much information or knowledge about the Dane breed.

Comment

Working...
              X