Help please: puke and runs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please: puke and runs

Raina has had, what seems like yeast, for the past couple of months now. We changed her food about 5/6 weeks ago, started giving apple cider vinegar to drink and bathing with it (for the yucky odor), and giving probiotics and fish oil. She has had some soft stool, like thick pudding, for about three weeks, but nothing that really concerned me, and still only her normal "bathroom" routine. The food change seemed to help some - no more chewing on feet or severely dry, itchy skin. However, her skin is still pretty pink, still some reddish staining, and the smell is yucky.

This week, on Monday, the odor became absolutely unbearable. She was draining some clear fluid stuff around her tail that was drying kind of stiff, and I keep having to clean it with wipes.

So I took her to the vet yesterday (Wednesday) morning. Guess what - ALLERGIES!!! Not a big surprise. She said it's all allergies. Raina's ears are disgustingly odorful too. The vet said not to change the food right now, it is probably more environmental... gave me some Nystatin to put in her ears once daily, and give Benadryl (50 mg) twice daily. Then I have to go back in one week (next Wednesday).

Today (Thursday) the runs came. Poor Raina is having explosions from her back end. She even had an accident inside, which she was totally embarrassed about and even looked like she was crying. She's gone out over a dozen times since this afternoon, til now, she doesn't have much else coming.

It's 1:30am now. She NEVER wakes up during the night, but she woke up about 45 minutes ago, whining frantically. She made it outside, exploded, came back inside.... but instead of goind directly back to her crate, she was pacing. I made her go in her crate, and 15 seconds later she started this horrible sound like a full swishing/knocking barrel. I don't really know how to explain it, but anyway, I ran back to her and she started puking.

As I was cleaning her crate, she ran back to the front door, whining. Let her out again, another (smaller) explosion. Not much coming out, but plenty to make a mess. She tried several places, but mostly nothing coming out... just rectal muscles contracting and Raina groaning like it hurts. Came back to her crate and is going back to sleep.

I'm so sad for her, and I have no idea what is wrong with her... except that she was just at the vet yesterday... so is it a coincidence? I'm calling the vet first thing in the morning, but what to do til then? Is there anything I can do for her now? Poor baby girl I just wish I knew what's wrong and how to fix it.

Oh, also, since she's been having some "soft" issues (it hasn't been a problem, just not totally firm all the time for the past 3 wks or so), she also hasn't been eating very well. She was up to 7 1/2 cups a day and loved to eat. Now she's hardly interested at all, and she might eat ONE cup all day... maybe 3 or 4, occasionally a little more, but usually less. She just leaves the food in her bowl and will not eat it. She still looks/acts healthy and is gaining weight - 12 pounds in the past 3 weeks, which makes her 65 pounds now. She'll be 5 months old on Saturday.
    APRIL - proud wife to the best hubby and mommy to 3 skin kids and a fur kid
    sigpic

What is the meat in her food? It may be an allergy to that. Poor baby. I would worry that she would become dehydrated overnite. I would probably take her to an e-vet, if nothing else to get a second opinion. I wish I could be a bigger help. Desi had explosive poo and vomit, but it was copper toxicity. If lamb is the meat source, I wouldn't rule that out. Hope you find some answers.
    sigpic
    Lori, Desi & Grimm
    RIP my beloved Murray 5/17/07-09/13/12
    Join Boise Danes ... https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.ph...66337846714730
    Proud to be a Boise State Bronco!

Comment

I think one of the other members of DOL dane had benedryl and it gave her terrible diarrhea. It could be the benedryl. I would give oral probiotics to help get the yeast under control.
      Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
      Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
      RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

I'm so sorry that she isn't feeling well. I really have no advice as there are so many different things going on. Please update us once you have spoken to the vet again.
        sigpic
        Roxy & Ace

Comment

Could be food allergies but I would take her to the vet. Often ear problems, not eating, bad poo and vomiting is food allergies
          Hope she feels better!
          "The human language, as precise as it is with its thousands of words, can still be so wonderfully vague"....Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain

Comment

Thanks y'all. I am taking her to the vet this morn.
            She is on PS TOTW (salmon). It just seems odd that she wasn't doing too badly until the day after the vet. I looked at the side effects on the Nystatin, and the first two are vomiting and diarrhea. I'm hoping it's as simple as that. I'll post our progress later.
            sigpic

Comment

Poor baby, I feel aweful for her just reading it. I hope it gets straightened out soon and she feels better.

Comment

Vet said it's inflamed bowels due to allergies. So, no food or water all day, only ice cubes. She put her on metronidazole for a week. If Raina's not significantly better by tomorrow morning, I have to take her back... but she should be better, and then I have to put her on a special diet for a couple of days, and gradually add back her kibble. Hopefully this will take care of it!
                I just had her at the vet two days ago, for the allergies, and she's being treated for that also, so I'm hoping to get all of this lined out fairly quickly.
                Thanks for your help!
                sigpic

Comment

poor thing, hope she gets well soon!!
                  sigpic
                  Crystal
                  Owned by:
                  Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
                  CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
                  Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
                  Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

Oh gosh Keep us posted, April - what a nightmare I've been there before - you'll figure it out!
                    Tracy Miller
                    sigpic
                    Be Kaptain's Facebook Friend!
                    Boston's Story Rest In Peace, Buddy! 11.14.2007-2.24.2011
                    Dog Food Advisor

Comment

Poor baby girl and poor mom! Don't despair, though; it will get under control eventually!

Comment

So far today, Raina is doing great! She just acts like she's starving, because I can only feed her every 2 hours.... a 1/4 cup of rice mixture (recipe doc gave). She's still not drinking much water... only peed once, and not poop yet. I figure it may take a while for her system to get going right again. She's quite active though, acts great, other than demanding me for more food, lol. I'm so glad she's doing better. Thanks y'all!
                        sigpic

Comment

Can you or have you done allergy tests to see what she is allergic to?

I like to know the root of a problem and not just treat symptoms with meds.

I hope she continues to feel better. She is a little doll!
                          Sheryl
                          In loving memory of my precious Eli
                          12/26/06 - 2/16/11

Comment

Originally posted by pudnickel View Post
                            Can you or have you done allergy tests to see what she is allergic to?
                            If it is food allergies, skin testing does not include food..
                            Food allergies are done by elimination. Trial and error so to speek. You can do blood test to get a base but it is not the gold standerd. It has some false positives and perhaps some false negatives but I have found it to be some place to start.
                            "The human language, as precise as it is with its thousands of words, can still be so wonderfully vague"....Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain

Comment

Glad to hear she is doing a little better.
                              That is correct that food allergies are usually diagnosed/ruled out by diligent 'trials". Just meaning if you decide to start a food trial you have to seriously stick to it..No "extras" and only use treats with the same ingredients as food...some people will use the kibble itself for treats.

I am thinking the antibiotics intensified her tummy troubles...They do that to people too! In the future, you can give a cpl tbls of yogurt while doing a course. Have you mentioned any of this to her breeder? She would probably want to know about allergies in her line.

~Jeanne, Jason & Emily(6)-The Humans~
                              Milly-Harl GD,
                              Tank, Tigra Cougie & Jax-The Cat Crew
                              www.valparasiokennelclub.com

Comment

Working...
                              X