My dog caught a mole....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dog caught a mole....

So I am curious. My dog caught a mole. And although he didn't kill it or eat it, it did have puncture wounds on it. My dog is up to date with all his shots, should I be concerned with my dog catching a disease or getting sick?

Mole

No, you'll be o.k. I used to have a mutt when I was a kid that would do that. Sit by the hole for a long time then catch it.

Comment

I'm so glad.

How about if he catches a bird?

And is this normal behavior? Because he likes messing with the massive amounts of frogs we have too.

Comment

I know some frogs and toads can be poisonous to dogs, but I do not remember which kinds.
        sigpic

Comment

Hmmmmmm, these are your typical green frogs, that live by a lake. They all are the same. I'm not saying they couldn't be posionous. Maybe I should talk to the vet about it.

Comment

I really only heard about it when I was living in Florida. We have the Cane toads down there that make you hallucinate and other weird shit haha. I am not sure where you live but yours may not be bothersome at all.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I never heard of any poisonous frogs or toads around here, but you never do know. I live in NJ.

Comment

Sometimes dogs can get intestinal parasites from catching wild critters & birds. Birds carry coccidia. One of my dogs got coccidia from licking bird poop off the sidewalk, gross!Of course fleas are always a concern also. Just keep an eye on his stools if they look loose take one into the vet to be tested. I would check a stool every 6 months ,even if they look normal, just to be safe since your boy is a hunter. :-)
                sigpic Brenda
                RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
                Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

I think on most visits we have his stool checked. A month or two ago my dog had the poops, and the vet did bring up that he could have ingested bird poop. She did tests, but it came back normal, she still gave him antibiotics just in case. The poops cleared up 2 days later.

Comment

This will gross you out!! Years ago, my female (Blue 1994-2004) pounced on and ate a frog in our yard before I could blink. She seemed fine. We had planned to bathe her later that day, and in the bathtub she got sudden a case of explosive diarrhea and the whole frog came out albeit in a few pieces. Aside from the major cleanup job (for us), there were no further side effects, next BM was perfectly normal (and no frog parts!!).

We did get her checked out, with fecal tests, all negative, but I keep a very close eye out for frogs since then!
                    Tricia, and
                    sigpic
                    Finn - Wysiwyg's Celtic Warrior CGC RN
                    Phoebe - Wysiwyg's Celtic Secret of a Nightingale
                    and at the bridge, Lily (2.27.01 - 12.10.09)
                    www.cardiffarms.com

Comment

Originally posted by blueberry View Post
                      This will gross you out!! Years ago, my female (Blue 1994-2004) pounced on and ate a frog in our yard before I could blink. She seemed fine. We had planned to bathe her later that day, and in the bathtub she got sudden a case of explosive diarrhea and the whole frog came out albeit in a few pieces. Aside from the major cleanup job (for us), there were no further side effects, next BM was perfectly normal (and no frog parts!!).

We did get her checked out, with fecal tests, all negative, but I keep a very close eye out for frogs since then!
                      Very gross lol.Love your sig pic.

Comment

My dog caught a mole....

Originally posted by faust View Post
                        I know some frogs and toads can be poisonous to dogs, but I do not remember which kinds.
                        The california river toad is supposed to be lethal...but let me tell ya what happened to Earl. A couple of years ago I had to get my appendix taken out in CA. Well,went and stayed with a friends in Quartzsite,AZ. to recupe. They had a teeny little pond set up with a little fountain and lillypads..so cute and relaxing to hang out there. At night the toads would come out of their holes in the dirt and hop over to the pond to eat the bugs attracted to the little lights. Earl had the run of the place and would follow them around. I noticed he licked them,and afte a few hours he would be staggering around like a drunk. Son of a gun..he started waiting for them to come out so he could lick them again..he was getting high and liked it! I wouldn't let him run free at night anymore when I saw what the idiot was doing.
                        sigpic

Comment

Earl, just say no!
                          You little rascal
                          Maybe he should be enrolled in a DARE program!
                          sigpic~Veronica~ (the human, not the dog!)

Comment

That's a great new Earl pic, btw...
                            sigpic
                            Michelle
                            Newton, Iris - Great Danes
                            Abby - APBT
                            Apollo, Jade and Angel - Miniature Dachshunds
                            Wilson - ChiX
                            RIP Buddy and Ginger ~ Doxies

Comment

Originally posted by daneslave View Post
                              Love your sig pic.
                              Thanks. We went to Martha's Vineyard and the guys just LOVED hanging out at the beach!!
                              Tricia, and
                              sigpic
                              Finn - Wysiwyg's Celtic Warrior CGC RN
                              Phoebe - Wysiwyg's Celtic Secret of a Nightingale
                              and at the bridge, Lily (2.27.01 - 12.10.09)
                              www.cardiffarms.com

Comment

Working...
                              X