White marks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White marks

So I just had a conversation with couple while I was walking Kane. The couple was driving in their truck and they stopped. And they were so excited. The first thing they asked was where did I get my horse because the lady's brother has a dane that looks exactly like him. At first I thought she was joking in really wanting to know. But she asked again, where did you get him because I think my brother has his litter mate. I then tell her where, and she states that her brother got their male dane at the same place. She is now freaking out. She told me how she swore I was walking her brother's dog! Anyway then she tells me that he paid $1500 for him and was forced to sign papers stating that he would not breed his blue dog because he had a small white spot on his chest, and that the dog cannot be shown. I told her that I was no expert in that field and that although a white spot is undesirable, I don't think that means you cannot breed him or show him. I was curious if the dog had any other problems, because I found it hard to believe a little white spot would mean no breeding or showing. She swore the dog was healthy otherwise.

My question is, is white spot considered soooo undesirable that you cannot breed the dog??? I'm really baffled here. Or was it that was the breeder's preference?

Just realized this may be in the wrong forum. If so move.. I apologize.
    Last edited by PorkChop; 07-04-2009, 07:55 AM. Reason: wrong forum???

Perhaps what the breeder meant was that the spot is undesirable -- which it is. A white spot is not a disqualification, but perhaps there were other conformation faults that made them place the dog on a spay/neuter contract. If so, that's a good thing to prevent passing on the fault to future generations.
    Lissa's furkids: Jupiter (RIP), Merlot (RIP), Savannah, and Poet
    sigpic
    Visit them at: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/
    MAGDRL: http://www.magdrl.org/
    AKC CGC Evaluator #9661 since 2003
    Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

That's what I was so curious about. In my mind, the white spots could not have been the only thing going on with the dog. I mean all things are possible. But it was a shock for me to hear.

Comment

White on the chest, toes, etc is a minor fault. Many a Champion have finished with white on their chest or toes. The dog more than likely also lacked conformation, so was sold on limited registration to a pet home.
        sigpic
        Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
        Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
        www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

A white spot on the chest isn't going to hold a dog back from the show ring or being bred. It's not a serious defect. I have finished two danes with white spots on their chest. I don't think the judges even look at that. Conformation, movement, condition & temperament are more important.

Regards,
          Renee
          http://californiadreaminggreatdanes.com/

"Being kind is much more important than being right. Sometimes, what a person needs is not a brilliant mind that speaks, but a patient heart that understands." ~Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by PorkChop View Post
            So I just had a conversation with couple while I was walking Kane. The couple was driving in their truck and they stopped. And they were so excited. The first thing they asked was where did I get my horse because the lady's brother has a dane that looks exactly like him. At first I thought she was joking in really wanting to know. But she asked again, where did you get him because I think my brother has his litter mate. I then tell her where, and she states that her brother got their male dane at the same place. She is now freaking out. She told me how she swore I was walking her brother's dog! Anyway then she tells me that he paid $1500 for him and was forced to sign papers stating that he would not breed his blue dog because he had a small white spot on his chest, and that the dog cannot be shown. I told her that I was no expert in that field and that although a white spot is undesirable, I don't think that means you cannot breed him or show him. I was curious if the dog had any other problems, because I found it hard to believe a little white spot would mean no breeding or showing. She swore the dog was healthy otherwise.

My question is, is white spot considered soooo undesirable that you cannot breed the dog??? I'm really baffled here. Or was it that was the breeder's preference?

Just realized this may be in the wrong forum. If so move.. I apologize.
            This breeder put this dog on limited registration because they didn't want him bred. For what ever reason, afraid that he would be used right and left at stud..may be the main reason. If that's the reason, I applaud the breeder.

Small white spot means nothing as far as showing/breeding goes.

Dee
            sigpic

Comment

This breeder put this dog on limited registration because they didn't want him bred. For what ever reason, afraid that he would be used right and left at stud..may be the main reason. If that's the reason I applaud the breeder.

Dee
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Devil Dog View Post
                This breeder put this dog on limited registration because they didn't want him bred. For what ever reason, afraid that he would be used right and left at stud..may be the main reason. If that's the reason I applaud the breeder.

Dee
                This is what I was thinking.. Perhaps the "white spot" comments the breeder made where the nicer way of saying "dont liter"... kwim?
                Crystal- Mom to Gargani's K.O. Dayna Blue
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X