Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do some coat colors shed more than others?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do some coat colors shed more than others?

I've heard this, but I'm not sure if it's just rumor.

Some believe the whites shed more than the rest. In my limited experience, I think it might have a ring of truth. This discussion has been had many times on DOL and you'll see the harl owners will talk about shedding way more often then the blacks / blues, for example.

My white boy is a shedding maniac! I do think some of his allergy issues contribute to his shedding, but even with the controlled allergies, he makes it snow!
    sigpic

Comment

My brindle is becoming quite the shedder now. Don't know if he's blowing coat or just a combination of things.
      sigpic
      Sampson (Brindle Great Dane) 5/15/14

Comment

My big white guy sheds like mad. Last night I washed the fleece blanket we have on our bed. It's not been a week since last washing. When I cleaned out the dryer lint trap afterwards there was enough dog hair in there to make a Chihuahua.
        sigpic
        Fergus
        SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
        Eisen Shark
        C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

My harl boy is definitely responsible for more of the dog hair in the lint trap than my fawn boy. But the fawn dog still sheds a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
          Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

I don't know if this is a good comparison since Finn is still a puppy, but Asaah sheds way more than Finn does, plus it's more noticeable since her fur is black and white and Finn's is blue.
            Last edited by oshagcj914; 03-07-2015, 09:52 AM.
            sigpic
            Chaucey
            Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Back when I used to do shed-x treatments at work, the white ones ALWAYS shed more. The almost white labs were worse than golden yellow, white shepherds were the worst, etc.

On Ivy, her neck and chest shed way more than the rest of her.....and yes, Quke is a shedding machine. My white cat sheds like crazy too and my calico, again, mostly white hairs when you brush her.

I am pretty sure at some point I read that the life cycle of white hairs is generally shorter but that could be totally false

Comment

I have owned a Mantle, Fawn and Harl. The harl definitely sheds the most by far, whether that's because we notice it more because of the white hair or not I don't know, but I'm convinced it seems a lot more, although they all shed a fair amount.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm limited in experience here too. But andross actually isn't bad at all shedding wise. my komondor though is another story haha.
                  sigpic Little boy!

Comment

The white hair on our mantle sheds out WAYYY more than the black! Super strange!
                    sigpic

Comment

OMG Seriously white fur sheds more #$%* !!!

Duke is black and sheds a lot... well IMO. Although I do a lot of travel and perhaps don't get to vacuum as much as I used to. I dare say he is worse than my Choc. Lab whom had food allergies galore. DRIVES me somewhat nuts...
                      sigpic
                      Duke - 5/13/14

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
                      - Albert Einstein

Comment

In humans the lighter your hair the more you shed . Blonde hair has smaller/finer follicles so it grows and sheds faster.
                        sigpic
                        Wally - 5/16/2014 (Fawn Male)

Comment

Hank sheds by the handful. I wonder if changing food would help. He is currently on the Kirkland from Costco. My boxer eats the same. Both are fawn and the boxer sheds too, just not as bad.

Sublarry

Comment

Originally posted by Sublarry View Post
                            Hank sheds by the handful. I wonder if changing food would help. He is currently on the Kirkland from Costco. My boxer eats the same. Both are fawn and the boxer sheds too, just not as bad.

Sublarry
                            How old is Hank? Any other skin/coat issues? Any issues on the food? He may just be a shedder.
                            sigpic
                            Chaucey
                            Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

He is almost 3. He sometimes will lick a sore spot, and will have little patches where it falls out in chunks. We went to the vet and they said give him benedryl for a week to get rid of the allergy he may have had. That cleared up and fur grew back.

We started giving them both a egg with breakfast and 1 tsp of coconut oil with dinner today. We will see if we notice any difference by next week.

Sublarry

Comment

Working...
                              X