Honey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honey

What's the difference between all the different kinds of honey and raw vs unpasteurized in particular?

Breeder recommended raw honey for Jazzy's cough and I was blown away by all the differences! I can't eat honey because I can't digest fructose, so my first time really looking
    sigpic
    Jazmin - Great Dane (June 15, 2011)
    Maia - Great Dane/Lab (Nov 2007)
    4 cats - Marvin, Koskie, Xander (Monkey), Alexa

Julius - Great Dane (adopted May 19, 2012, passed away June 20, 2012)
    Tiernan - Great Dane (Feb 13, 2008-Dec 28, 2011)[/I]

Raw honey is better because it has all the enzymes in it. Heating it to pasteurize it destroys the health benefits. You can get the raw at almost any grocery store now. Walmart has it. I keep some around all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by jenni0482 View Post
      What's the difference between all the different kinds of honey and raw vs unpasteurized in particular?

Breeder recommended raw honey for Jazzy's cough and I was blown away by all the differences! I can't eat honey because I can't digest fructose, so my first time really looking
      Our local honey person just has 2 different types, and the only difference I can tell is in color. Raw honey has all sorts of goodies in it, and is helpful for seasonal allergies if it's local. Once it's pasteurized, you're losing all the benefit. Typically you can't find raw honey at the regular grocery store (not here anyway) but if you have a natural grocery store or something similar they should carry it.
      Last edited by SuzanneRM82; 12-15-2013, 05:10 PM.
      sigpic
      Fergus
      SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
      Eisen Shark
      C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Raw honey is unpasteurized honey. It has not been filtered or heated during processing. Sometimes it is strained to remove larger debris, but not filtered to remove smaller pollen particles.

I use raw honey and slippery elm for coughs.

Comment

So is raw honey the same as unpasteurized then?
          sigpic

Comment

Honey

So is raw honey the same as unpasteurized then?

Basically, if it is labeled just unpasteurized it may have been filtered. In my opinion raw, unfiltered is best. Unpasteurized is good, definitely better than heat treated.
            Last edited by Kbraman; 12-15-2013, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks
              sigpic

Comment

Just wanted to say how amazed I am at how well the honey worked for Jazzy's cough! She coughed all night the first night that she was sick. Started giving her the honey the next day, and her coughing became significantly less and now she is barely coughing at all
                sigpic

Comment

Just wanted to say how amazed I am at how well the honey worked for Jazzy's cough! She coughed all night the first night that she was sick. Started giving her the honey the next day, and her coughing became significantly less and now she is barely coughing at all

Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                  X