Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Surgery

Haven't posted for awhile...thought we were going to loose our Goofus to
    Wobblers disease. He's a Year and a couple of months and it was heartbreaking to consider having to end his life in so short a time.
    It didn't seem to be fair.
    Wife and I talked it over and decided to do everything humanly possible to save him.
    We had an MRI done and our fears were well founded. He had five lesions on his vertebra where the spinal cord was being slowly constricted.
    Turns out that there is a surgery performed that basically cuts a notch in each effected vertebra allowing the pressure to be released on the nerve bundle. The principal made sense but working that close to the spinal cord involves huge risk. Also, almost 7 hours on the table reduced his chances quite a bit.
    Anyway, the day of the surgery it was my task to take him into the surgical appointment. He was pretty scared and pressed up against my leg so hard it was difficult to walk.

We sat in the waiting room and I wondered if we made the right choice.
    If it didn't go well, this would be the last time I would see him.

If we didn't do the surgery then he only had a few months at best to live.

Very Very difficult choice.

As they lead him away, he kept looking back at me. It felt horrible beyond
    words.
    Since my Wife is a Vet, we did our homework and found a Surgeon with top rate references and knew we had done the best we could.

Anyway, I wanted to share the pix we took this morning.

It's been two days since the surgery and he's already walking better and wanting to play. He also seems to be pain free. We won't talk about his appetite....

DT
    Attached Files

Oh my gosh! Poor guy. But I'm glad you guys did the surgery, he should be better in no time!

Those pictures just look so sad... such a big incision. I work at a vet clinic and I've never seen a Dane with Wobblers.
    sigpic
    Mom to:
    Danes Kobe and Sabre.

Dachshunds Penny and Otto.
    Pit Bulls Brees and Crystal.
    Chihuahua puppy Jersey.
    5 year old princess Ariel.

Comment

I am so glad he is doing well. He's a very handsome boy. He looks sad in the first picture. Get well soon, Goofus!

Martha
      sigpic

Comment

Poor Goofus...hopefully the surgery is successful!

I know a lot of dane owners have had success with Gold Beads implants. Not sure if you considered those or if they are even still an option???
        Katie & Scarlett
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlett's Mum View Post
          Poor Goofus...hopefully the surgery is successful!

I know a lot of dane owners have had success with Gold Beads implants. Not sure if you considered those or if they are even still an option???
          I have heard great things about Gold Beads. I haven't heard much of the option you chose. I would love to hear more and see how he progresses!
          sigpic
          Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
          Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
          www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Glad surgery went well, hope recovery goes smoothly!
            sigpic Brenda
            RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
            Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

he looks like he's recovering wonderfully especially for 2 days post op! Hope this all continues in the right direction!
              sigpic
              Crystal
              Owned by:
              Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
              CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
              Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
              Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

thats great news if hes walking better and wanting to play, i hope he continues to progress in the right direction
                http://4supra.blogspot.com

sigpic

Comment

He is SO CUTE. What a sweet face. I hope he recovers well for you and you get many more years with that adorable face.
                  ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Dear Folks,
                    Thanks so much for your sensitive and thoughtful remarks. I'm feeling a whole lot better since the boy came home.
                    He is the second dog we have had the surgery done to. Also, over the years we have lost four of our babies to Wobblers.

We've actually had over 20 Danes in the last 12 years and Wobblers is pretty common.
                    It can be mis diagnosed and can progress to a point where even aggressive surgery is no longer an option. Once the nerve bundle dies, that's all she wrote, folks!
                    Some People have used natural and or Eastern acupuncture treatments such as "gold bead" but these are aimed at reducing pain.
                    As a Veterinarian, My Wife is required to perform continuing education sessions each year to keep her license current and she has elected to train with acupuncture. She was aware of the treatment but did not see it as an option.

Wobblers can be caused by a condition that allows the vertebra to continue to develop and all the while, the nerve canal constricts and pinches off the main bundle to the rear of the dog.
                    The first thing to go is the ability for the animal to sense where his behind is and if it is responding to the instructions the brain is sending.

If the constriction is lower on the spine, the back legs seem to be mostly effected. In Goofus's case, his five vertebra under the Cervical were constricting. (ain't MRI's wonderful)
                    If the condition goes untreated, the only thing that can be done is to try to make the animal pain free for what ever time he has left.
                    I'm all for that, no matter what it is.
                    Quality of life is all important. Live the best you can for as long as you can.

In Goofus's case, he was so young and since my Wife detected and diagnosed his condition so early, we had a short window to get a surgical treatment.

I guess Everyone pretty much knows what a vertebra looks like.
                    Imagine the bundle of nerves being squeezed harder and harder until the legs, bowels and everything to the rear of the dog becomes paralyzed.
                    Then it's his time.

In Goofus's case, the Surgeon took the five vertebra involved and excised a piece of bone on the side, allowing the vertebra to expand and relieve
                    the pressure on the nerve bundle. This gap is protected by layers of muscle from injury as the dog heals. If diagnosed early enough and treated early enough the symptoms can often times be stopped and a slight improvement gained. (better than the alternative)
                    The complications include infection, of course, and damage to the main spinal nerve by way of to much heat as they excise the bone.
                    They use a very high speed drill and puncture two holes side by side in the vertebra and then snap out the remainder between the holes.
                    Pretty slick....

Our Older Dane, Sherman had the same procedure performed 7 years ago much lower on his back and he's still going strong. Pretty much normal life.
                    We are so pleased.

Now, as a disclaimer, I'm not a Doc. I'm an Electronic Tech so I don't know squat about medical stuff. I'm just regurgitating what the Surgeon
                    explained and this is how my layman's mind saw it. Also, I'd never presume to put down anyone else's choice of treatment but I wanted everyone to know this worked great for us.

Best Regards,
                    Pete

PS Sherman at 7 years after surgery.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by dogtag; 07-18-2010, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Update!!!

He's still alive and kickin'. Continuing to improve and no complications.
                      Wound is healing and he moves his neck with no sign of pain at all.
                      The disease seems to have been halted and if anything, I'm starting to see a slight improvement in his coordination.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the Surgery.

Dogtag

Comment

Oh wow. I hope Goofus makes a quick and complete recovery. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm praying that I never encounter this, but if I do in the future, I am now better informed and at least have an idea of options that are out there. Please give Goofus some extra hugs from all of us!
                        Gary
                        sigpic Cooper 2 years old
                        "Turner" Great Dane DOB: 4/7/2008
                        "Cooper" Great Dane DOB: 11/20/2010
                        "Lady" Beagle DOB: 8/24/2009
                        "Penny" Miniature Bull Terrier DOB: 8/17/2010

Comment

I must admit I'm glad you had the surgery and that you are posting his recovery.

For some of us who have never had to deal with Wobblers (or any other type of medical issue) it helps to see it through an owner's eyes, not the vet's.

Good luck with Goofus!! He sounds like he is remarkable hands

Comment

That's interesting. I have never had to deal with Wobbler's but would like to know the name of the surgery. I hope he continues to do well.

Martha
                            sigpic

Comment

Newest Development

Goofus has never climbed up on anything. To painful, I guess.
                              This morning he disappears and I look all over the house for him and NOTHING.
                              I panic and then I hear a squeaking noise in the Guestroom above my head.
                              That's right, up a steep flight of stars with a turn.

Not only that, He's on the guest bed. I call him and he just blows me off.
                              The "cookie" word didn't work.
                              Finally I went down stairs and got his leash. (he doesn't know I can't use it because of the surgery)
                              He pops down and then down the stairs he goes like he had been doing it all his life.
                              I'm very very encouraged.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X