How do you keep your kibble fresh?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you keep your kibble fresh?

For Bogart's first (and second) bag of food he ate it from top to bottom with no issues. The next bag he got "bored" part way through and I assumed that it was because it may have gotten "stale" from top to bottom. We bought a box to keep the food bag in that said it helped keep things fresh. But again, he got bored 1/2 through the bag - I thought maybe this time it was the food, not the freshness. By the bottom of the bag, he didnt seem to care if he ate or not. This morning was the first scoop of a new bag and he's in love all over again! He ate more than 1/2 of his daily scoops just for breakfast. Maybe that sealing "box" thing didn't help after all....

How do you keep your kibble fresh?
    Nicole
    Mom to 4 little ones and 1 not so little blue dane (Bogart)

Are you over-feeding? Making feeding time a ritual teaches their body to be hungry because food is coming. Do you feed on a schedule? Do you actually measure the amount you give?
    sigpic

Comment

We keep our dogs' food in an old cooler...one of those thick, plastic kind that seals really well We just open up the bag and dump it in...
      sigpic
      Mom to Diesel and Ripley (dogs), Socks, Angel and Oscar (cats), and June Bug, Dixie, Daisy, Mary Ann, Peaches, Lilly, and Earl (chickens)

Comment

I wish I could help but we don't have that problem. A bag of food only lasts us a week.
        Julie
        Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
        RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
        Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue Volunteer www.thegreatdanerescue.com
        sigpic

Comment

Ditto - a bag of food lasts me about 6 days, so freshness is never a concern. I buy 10 bags at a time (and that gets me a wholesale discount price).

Comment

I put my food & treats in air tight containers. Then I take handfuls of treats out at a time & either they go in the cabinet in an ait tight canister or zip lock bag. They seem to seal pretty good so i guess they work. On a side note-I did buy a dog food storage container before that did have a lid that locked down but I realized there was no seal of any sort on it. The next one I got I made sure there was an actual seal/gasket on it.
            sigpic
            Roxy & Ace

Comment

Originally posted by WeLoveOur7Dogs View Post
              Are you over-feeding? Making feeding time a ritual teaches their body to be hungry because food is coming. Do you feed on a schedule? Do you actually measure the amount you give?
              He eats on a very scheduled routine. Breakfast at 7:30a and dinner at 6p (after the kids eat). He eats a total of 4 cups typically (which is the recommended amount for his age and weight as per the bag) and he takes a couple of bites, walks away, comes back and eats a little more, etc - but today he wanted more like 3 cups for breakfast and nearly swallowed it whole - a notable uptick from the last week. The only change was that today was a new bag of food. His dinner last night was the very bottom of the bag that lasted us almost exactly a month.
              It's also worth noting that he also gets nearly no people food, no more than he will steal from the counters when someone leaves something tasty in his line of sight.
              Last edited by coley; 11-28-2010, 01:22 PM.
              Nicole

Comment

Nicole,
                It sounds more like an issue of a "picky eater" (he takes a bite or two and walks away) than an issue of the food getting stale. Sounds to me like you need to build an appetite in your dog, not worry so much about the "reccomended" amount and more about what is appropriate for your dog. Looking at his body condition and how good he is finishing his food you will be able to gauge how much to increase or decrease his rations. If he "takes a bite and walks away" he isn't hungry. Pick up his bowl and make him wait until the next meal.

Around here, a bag lasts about a week. I also have dogs who are sitting and drooling waiting for their bowl to be set down and for their release to eat. Once the bowl is down, it doesn't take them 5 minutes to eat their meal. We keep the open bag of food in an air tight container.
                sigpic

Comment

This is what we use:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...3730&catid=574

Comment

Here's what I do to keep my kibble fresh...

... i have big dogs that eat it real fast

BUT... back when I just had Babo the cat and Gus Bus in Korea (1 dog/1 cat)... I used to have Vittle Vaults, sealed pet food containers that guarantee it wont go stale over time. I used to get Babo's food in 20 lb bags and they would last 6 months in the Vittle Vault without getting stale.

However, I dont think they make a vittle vault bigger than 25-35 lbs worth.

most foods that come in bags bigger than 40 lbs arent good foods though... The exception, Canidae had a 45lb bag for $29 for a while..

HTH
                    - Chris
                    "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal"
                    sigpic

Comment

Mine eat the food fast enough that freshness is not really an issue but I use a plastic storage tote for the food. It keeps it pretty fresh, doesn't attract any pests, and it doubles as a raised feeder for Belle. The slight lip on the edge keeps her from pushing the bowl off (usually!)

Diana, Nick, Bingo, Belle, Sam, and Zane
                      One man's trash is another man's treasure. Rescue a dog, give a 2nd chance, get undying love. It's a great deal!

Comment

I can put close to three bags of TOTW in the 20gal Vittles Vault.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...2052&catid=574
                        Last edited by rkaires; 11-28-2010, 05:52 PM.

Comment

We use those orange 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot. They have a rubber gasket in the cover and seal great.

How old is your pup?
                          sigpic
                          In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
                          Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

Originally posted by dolmod View Post
                            We use those orange 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot. They have a rubber gasket in the cover and seal great.

How old is your pup?
                            I think he's 18w on Tuesday.
                            Nicole

Comment

When I fed kibble I used a vittles vault, i also have one for cat food (i haven't converted him yet) i like it!
                              Jackie, one busy mama to--
                              3 skin kids, 1 dane and a kitty named Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X