No announcement yet.

Nail trimming fits!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello! I am a dog groomer so I thought I should give some helpful advice. Pros to dremmel, fast and leaves a smooth rounded nail. Cons, leaving the dremmel against the nail to long will cause friction and can burn if to close to the quick.

Quick is the pink part in white nails, and in black nails the best way to tell if your close is look at the bottom of the nail if you start to see a fleshy looking center (usually its really black) thats the beginning of the quick.

You dont want to leave the dremmel against the nails more than a few seconds, just make sure to touch the nail and make sure its not getting hot.

As far as a dog fearing nail trimming or grinding, just make sure your a confident leader, take the paw and hold it gently even if they struggle, if they learn to throw a temper tantrum and you let go each time they will continue the behavior. As you hold the paw give treats and love until the doggy relaxes. Once calm with just holding introduce the clippers just by rubbing them on feet, legs, and let them smell and see it.

If you give up, go to a local groomer and have them do it and ask them to show you how to. Most good groomers will be more than willing to help you out.
    sigpic

Dani and Cinder

Comment

Gunther has no problems with having his nails done...............in fact, he enjoys it for some weird reason. I was doing Keiko's the other night since I skipped her last time (getting harder for her to lay or hold still for me to do them) and she was already laying down so i did them quickly. He was waiting for me when i finished, already laying down. (I do nails with the dogs laying on their right side and use a nail clippers). I did not do them b/c his did not need to be done.

the next day, I did Nigel and Posey's at the dog park as I noticed they were looking long (small dogs' nails grow sooo fast!!). Again, Gunther was waiting and as soon as I turned around to face him, he went and laid down. So I tapped him on his side and he rolled over. He still didn't need them done but I did them anyway just to make him happy...............lol.
      sigpic

Chris, mom to: Keiko--husky/shep mix (RIP), Gunther--great dane, Nigel and Posey--rat terriers, Pasta--cockatiel, Louigi--peach fronted conure, Hamlet--blue crowned conure

Comment

I think most of the battle is creating a situation where they accept that there is no other option. With several of my adopted adults - I either had to have someone sit with them to hold the collar for the first few times - or I just didn't give up even though I took forever. I also made sure no other dogs were in the room to be distracting or be percieived as threats.

With those I have had from puppyhood - 2 with 2 without dew claws - all have quickly accepted that they just have to put up with it...and I just use nail clippers - I have not tried the dremmel and and a bit nervous of it myself...I accept that ot is better - but just haven't made myself do it:-)
        sigpicNikol Marsh & Glory, Emma, Tycho & Bronte
        Dantrydane's GloryB Gallantree
        Am/Int CH Perlwin's MBN Original Emma V EIO, RN, TT, CGC, TDI
        Int CH Blue Moon's For Game and Glory, CGC, TDI
        Sasdania's Poetry In Motion, RN, CGC

Comment

I got a question for those that use a dremel . What grit drum is best fine medium or coarse ? stands to reason coarse would be quicker but would it not heat the nail up quicker ? I agree with moving swift and fast and alternating after a couple of seconds . But just what grit is best ? Let me add i have used a 60 grit .
          Last edited by Dickie Best; 07-23-2011, 09:06 PM.

Comment

The only dremmel that should be used on dog toenails is this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dremel-730...-Tool/15173820

Anything with more volts will tear up a pad or nail with just a touch. It comes with a looks like a course tip. I use this one everyday in the grooming salon and it works great. Charging it is kinda a pain though, always dies.
            sigpic

Dani and Cinder

Comment

What i see is a tool that runs at two speeds 6500 rpm and 13000 rpms don't see where volts is an issue i think most all the dremels run about the same rpm they have variable speeds but i don't think they run much over 13000 rpm. The tool with the lithium battery will run you just a little more money but the battery will last you several times longer. I can do my dogs nails several times with one charge . Speed i see can be an issue i run mine just a little beyond mid range. Wondering what grit drum produces the best results and not as hard on the dog .
              Last edited by Dickie Best; 07-24-2011, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Sorry I didnt answer your question the way you asked. I was just suggesting this tool. 13 people use one wear I work and never have an issue. If you can figure out what bit that one is. Its the one to use. Good luck
                sigpic

Dani and Cinder

Comment

Working...
                X