Ear Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ear Problems

For a while now we've noticed that Teds ears (natural) have been getting kind of red inside. Now they are looking really, really bad. He frequently scratches them and now there's these big patches of really rough black skin on the inside. It doesn't look like a scab, but something equally bad. Anybody have any experience with this?

We have a vet appmt on Saturday AM and will ask about it then, but recently switched vets and this will be the first time the new guy sees Ted so I'm trying to go in with an idea of what to expect.

I think he has allergies as his paws are very red after playing in the yard as well. But I just feel like the ear thing is really bad.

Here are two pics I got with my cell camera. Not the best quality but you can kind of see what I'm talking about. Tonight he scratched so hard they bled a little. It just breaks my heart.

sigpic
    Theodore Winston - AKA: Ted

wow they look inflammed. This could be due to allergies, and the vet may suggest a food trial for him. Ear infections/irritation is the number one sign of a food allergy in a dog.
    sigpic
    Crystal
    Owned by:
    Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
    CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
    Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
    Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

Please check out this site.. http://www.nzymes.com/pc/symptomChkr...dition_id=1892

Might help... Mona was licking herself raw, used one of these products and problem solved.
      sigpic

Comment

No help but wishing your baby with be feeling better soon. I never has ears problems with my girl.

Comment

it can be allergies, or yeast, or mites.

Comment

oops. sorry for posting on the wrong forum inititally. Thanks for moving!

Yeah, I feel bad for the guy. I was wondering about mites, but there's nothing really IN the ear canal. I will look into the products after we see the vet. I just feel so bad for the guy and am really nervous since we've never taken him to this Vet.
            sigpic

Comment

Just wanted to post an update. The vet was great with Ted (whew!) and said it is most definitely allergies. We are going to try giving 50mg of Benadryl 2x a day. He also gave us some ointment for the ears to help the inflammation go down. Now I just have to keep my lab from licking his ears when we aren't looking!
              sigpic

Comment

One of our labs is a yeast ball, we have tried everything that two different vets have recommended and nothing has worked. He gets 50mg of benadryl every morning and every evening. we also use otomax in his ears every other day and clean them out with a ph balancing solution on the other days. it is the only way we can keep him from itching non stop at his ears.

Hope everything works out for you.
                sigpic
                My Crew
                The Danes:
                Ximmy - DOB 11/23/09, Sprocket - Gotcha Day - 8/14/11
                The Cats:
                Kit-ten Rescued 1999 - calico; Banshee Rescued 2007 - Maine Coon Mix; OnzaPous and ReignaPous DOB - 2/17/09 - Maine Coon's
                At the bridge: Thumper, Ditto & Chaos
                ~Dogs and cats instinctively know the exact moment their owners will wake up. Then they wake them 10 minutes sooner.~

Comment

Hopefully he'll improve quickly. As he improves, please up date us. also, what was the ointment?
                  sigpicDanemommd
                  Dante and Louis

Comment

Lots of dogs are having allergy issues due to the changing seasons. Different allergens in the air cause all kinds of flare-ups. Benedryl will help, but the dose is usually pretty large. My GSD, Othello was allergic to grass (yes, grass!). He had to take 2-3 benedryl 3x a day to be halfway comfortable and still needed prednisone occasionally. Took him to an allergist and tried the shots but they didn't stop the itching or ear infections, just lessened them. I started treating him with natural/holistic methods instead and it really was amazing how much better he got. I always fed good food but started adding tripe and antioxidents twice a week. Added fish oil every day. Locally made raw honey (must be local and raw) 2T twice a day. At first I cleaned his ears daily with half water half vinegar solution, tapered that down to twice a week. Three months after I started this, he was itch-free with healthy ears. Was it more work and a little more money? Yes, but he didn't spend the next 7 years having to take a bunch of meds that do have side effects.
                    sigpicIs it dinnertime yet?

Comment

Working...
                    X