He Won't Stop Whining!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He Won't Stop Whining!

To start things off, it isn't a medical problem causing him to whine, he's a healthy little guy, but 85% of the time he is awake he is whining. I feed him on schedule. I potty him twice as much as he needs(he only goes half the time I take him out). I play with him when he wants to play. I've tried chewies, other toys, his blanket, holding him, not holding him, and nothing gives. This is my first time with a puppy so I'm not sure what to do!
    sigpic

Try something to keep his mind busy. Like a kong w/peanut butter, or other toy that slowly drops treats out.
    sigpicKelly

Comment

Could you take a video??? I am really curious to see this whining in action. And holy cow, he is so cute!!!
      sigpic
      Shaun-4, Kairos (SDiT) at 13 weeks, Cole-6, and Zeus (CGC, PAT, TDI) 2yrs

Comment

Originally posted by DANEger View Post
        Try something to keep his mind busy. Like a kong w/peanut butter, or other toy that slowly drops treats out.
        I thought about that, though I'm wanting to limit the non-kibble he is eating. If I treat him with the same kibble that he eats, will the effect be the same? My rotty won't take kibble "treats", he's above them. :P
        sigpic

Comment

A great way to entertain a pup is by giving them a meal or meals in a kong or something similar.

A lot of it may just be that he is still a bit unsure about being away from his mom and littermates...takes a bit of time for them to get used to that

Comment

Originally posted by PucksPapas View Post
            I thought about that, though I'm wanting to limit the non-kibble he is eating.
            I thought that way too when I first got my dane. After a while, kibble as treats wont cut it. Especially when using positive reinforcement out in crowded, public places.

If you don't want to use PB because its too sweet, try plain yogurt. It's good for them too.
            Cooper at 4 months
            sigpic

Comment

oh, and kibble is a great treat in low distraction settings, like around the house, etc. If its not working, then you up the value.

Comment

Originally posted by PucksPapas View Post
                I thought about that, though I'm wanting to limit the non-kibble he is eating. If I treat him with the same kibble that he eats, will the effect be the same? My rotty won't take kibble "treats", he's above them. :P
                Does he like his kibble? Zack likes his and would take it as a treat in the house. You need something higher value if you're working on something hard, like listening with distractions.

I'd highly recommend one of those treat-dispensing balls. I have the Tricky Treat Ball for Zack, and he loves it. It kept him quiet for a good half an hour to an hour. In puppy time, that's a long time! Especially if you have a whiner, which I do.
                Charlotte, Zack (Blue Harlequin GD), and Grey (Russian Blue mix Cat)

sigpic
                Follow Zack's blog: http://wisdombyzack.wordpress.com/

Comment

I think I might have figured out how to quiet him down a little. I started training with him! I was wanting to wait and let him get settled in before I started but things don't always go as planned I suppose. I worked with him on "sit" and "stay" for 30 minutes or so. He learned "sit" very quickly, but the "stay" will be more work. I used kibble as the treats and he was very eager to work for them, and no more than 2-3 minutes after I stopped working with him, he crawled up onto the couch and is now sleeping! Now it's time to pick him up a treat ball and some other toys that will be a little more stimulating to the mind.
                  sigpic

Comment

clicker training is a great way to wear out their minds!

Very young pups are definitely capable of learning behaviors...they key is to keep it very short and simple. Always up beat and positive and most of all FUN!!!

Comment

Sounds like good news!

I second the clicker training. I wish I'd started it when Zack first came home.
                      Charlotte, Zack (Blue Harlequin GD), and Grey (Russian Blue mix Cat)

sigpic
                      Follow Zack's blog: http://wisdombyzack.wordpress.com/

Comment

Sounds like you've got a smart guy on your hands!!! If you're interested in clicker training, I third the recommendation...I so regret not doing it when Scarlett was a puppy. We started it about a month ago and it is AMAZING how fast they learn...Puck is a sponge right now, so definitely take advantage of this stage. Training is a great way to occupy the mind of an unsettled pup. Scarlett was pacing back and forth yesterday and so I sat down with her and taught her two new tricks. She konked out until I woke her up for her walk.
                        Katie & Scarlett
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X