Milk Thistle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milk Thistle

We are starting Loki on milk thistle and am curious how others are giving it to their dogs.

We picked up the liquid format and instructions say 10 drops 3-5 times per day in water. Is there a reason we can't do the daily dose in one shot or is better spread out?

Also, it says 1mL = 33 drops. What dosage do you normally give?

Thanks!

If 1ml is the adult dose then I would use that amount. It's better to spread it out during the day than give it in one dose. Next time you might try capsules. They are easier to give.

Comment

Make sure you get the milk thistle from a good supplier who uses the best ingredients. I use Herb-Pharm for my personal use .
      sigpic

Comment

milk thistle is very safe on dogs. For dogs with advanced liver disease, a dosage as high as 200 mg per 10 pounds of body weight is possible. For other liver problems or health conditions, 75 to 100 mg per 10 pounds of body weight per day is sufficient to see results.

http://www.natural-dog-health-remedi...-for-dogs.html

I started Jackson on 1500mg in capsules when his liver flared and worked my way down as his levels returned to normalish numbers. He was 75#
        Tracy
        sigpic
        Mouse April 2010
        Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

When I put Festus on it I do give it to him twice a day. I also give liquid and the adult dose is 1 dropper full on the brand that I buy. He's pretty good and eats it but he is used to being medicated all the time and knows he gets cookies after. I've tasted the stuff that I give him and it isn't bad. I've gone to giving it to him every 6 months for two weeks just to help his liver have a cleanse. I figure can't harm him. His annual blood checks have shown his liver values to be at a normal range as well.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X