Paw Pads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paw Pads

Hi Everyone, I posted about booties for my harlequin a couple of days ago because his paw pads are rubbed raw from walks and bike rides. The booties should be arriving tomorrow but I was wondering if there is any ointment or lotion that I could put on his pads to either soothe them or toughen them up. I know rest is probably the best remedy, but it is so hard with him right now (about 11 months...TONS of energy etc.). Help!?!?

Originally posted by lizziesmom View Post
    Hi Everyone, I posted about booties for my harlequin a couple of days ago because his paw pads are rubbed raw from walks and bike rides. The booties should be arriving tomorrow but I was wondering if there is any ointment or lotion that I could put on his pads to either soothe them or toughen them up. I know rest is probably the best remedy, but it is so hard with him right now (about 11 months...TONS of energy etc.). Help!?!?
    Am i in the twilight zone?They are dogs they need no shoes holy crap!

Comment

All purpose fix...Bag Balm.

http://www.bagbalm.com/

Dee
      sigpic

Comment

HA! Bag balm, I grew up on a farm and we used it all the time on animals and ourselves. Never thought to try it on the pup...duh!

Will his paws eventually toughen up?

Comment

I agree with Daneslave....booties? His walks/bike runs are obviously too much right now. You might need to ease into this. I would put aloe vera or whatever on until the pads are COMPLETELY healed and gradually work up to what you want the dog to do.
          ~Patty~ I have the right to remain silent; I don't have the ability.

Comment

HA! Bag balm, I grew up on a farm and we used it all the time on animals and ourselves. Never thought to try it on the pup...duh!

Bag Balm...magic in a can.

I'm older then the hills and it was around when I was a kid. Somewhere around 25 cents a can, so now you know how long ago that was. Used it on my kids, their kids now using.

I have no problem with boots for dogs..many people use them for hiking, eyc. Check Ebay. I think Cheryl had a problem because you called them "booties." Sounds sissyfied.

Dee
            sigpic

Comment

if he spends most of the time on grass and other soft surfaces, you need to start walking/running him on a concrete slowly, and gradually increase time and distance. Bag balm will help it heel faster, but it will make them very soft again.

There are some sprays available from the vet and online store, to protect and toughen the paws. I got one but I haven't tried it yet.

Comment

Working...
              X