Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bones in stool

Hey all.

Dog in question has been raw fed since weaned. He's 7 months now.

Had him on chicken backs + ground to get proper bone/meat ratio. Stool was great. Dog started getting little bumps over his body around age 4 or 5 months. Some called it "puppy staff". I thought it might have been flea allergy because we got hit hard with fleas this year. Anyway, fleas are all gone but bumps are still there. Did a course of prednisone which fixed it, but came right back when prednisone wore off.

Osteopath vet said no more chicken.... said chicken can tend to inflame dogs. Said to use turkey instead so that's when I've been doing. Problem is.... even when doing a mix of turkey drums + ground turkey to get bone ratio right, I'm seeing whole shards of bone in the stool. This has been ongoing for several months now since converting him to turkey. Doesn't seem to cause any problems... he still eats like a horse, has too much energy, and there is no blood in stool or constipation, but it seems strange. I read that this is not uncommon when feeding turkey because the bones are larger than chicken so they don't get fully digested in the stomach.

So what do you think? Ok or should I change? Still has bumps so I'm thinking of going back to chicken since it seems like switching to turkey didn't fix it.

Thx

Add 2 tbsps of raw apple cider vinegar to his diet daily. Mix it in with some ground meat is the easiest I think. This helps the digestive system.

Comment

Probably far too bone in his diet, is the ground turkey boneless then? Are you feeding any other proteins? You can't just feed one source of meat or bone in meals, there needs to be a variety. I would back off the turkey legs, lots of people feed turkey necks, they are pretty bone heavy so again shouldn't be fed more than a couple times a week. I would also try chicken again and see what happens, doesn't really sound like a food allergy problem to me.

Comment

A chronic staph infection likely has nothing to do with the chicken. I would boost his immune system with powdered supplements, vit C, and maybe even colostrum supplements. Add Raw, organic ACV - this will help ward off staph by increasing his pH and also help digest the bone. Also I would bath weekly with antibiotic shampoo until you get it under control. You can dab the spots with ACV or alcohol as well. But don't pop them. Also, don't brush his coat against the natural lay of the hair. This can damage follicles and reinforce the staph issue.

If he's not itchy, I don't think you're dealing with a chicken allergy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        *Jennifer*
        Member GDC of Mid-Florida
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X