Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Dane Poodle Mix (Designer Dog Debate)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Dane Poodle Mix (Designer Dog Debate)

I'm sure you could easily find one in a shelter.
    Michele
    www.rescuemetugz.etsy.com
    Dog, Cat and Ferret Toys
    Supporting Rescue 'One Tug At A Time'
    http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...mpbell/Tug.jpg
    sigpic
    www.rescuemetugz.com

Michele, Roscoe, Ava, Romeo, (RIP Daphne)
    http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=732e92418610139ae96918&skin_id=701&utm_so urce=otm&utm_medium=text_url
    Be part of the solution by not being part of the problem. NO BYB's!!

RE: Great Dane Poodle Mix (Designer Dog Debate)

UGGGGGGHHHH!!!!! Designer dogs!!!!

Doodledanes...IMO it is so irresponsible of people to delibrately breed these type of dogs.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

why?

Comment

Mixes should NEVER be delibrately bred...It doesn't matter waht kind of mix it is...the only responsible reason to breed is to add something of value back to the breed not ot just add a litter of puppies.Responsible breeders are careful on the selection of their breeding dogs, they research pedigrees, they do genetic health testing, they work hard to improve a breed...people that breed mixes...well 1) they have no breed to improve on, 2) they have nothing ot add except a litter of mixed puppies 3) most don't have a clue what is in the pedigrees for health 4) most don't do any type of genetic testing 5) they don't take into consideration if the breeds they are throwing together are really compatible or not (the "puggle is a real good example of this) I could go on but this is a general summary.
        People that delibrately breed mixes are BYB and/or mills.
        People should not encourage these types of breeders by buying puppies from them..if someone is looking for a mix a shelter or rescue is the place to go.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA
        Member Central Maine Kennel Club
        High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Okay- here's the deal-

There are a zillion breeders out there with purebred dogs of ALL qualities. Even people with really bad dogs want to breed.

IF you had a stunning specimin of a breed, that had health tests and was correct..... Assuming you LIKE the breed, since you own one... why not find a mate of the same breed???

What usualy happenes is this-

Someone has a purebred dog that is ugly. The dog may or may not be registered, and they have zero desire to see anything about it preserved. So they mate it to ANY other dog they can find and call it "designer" so they can just sell its puppies anyway.

Do you REALLY want your puppies formative early weeks spent with someone too lazy to even find their bitch a dog of the same breed??

And for two breeds FAMOUS for crippling diseases (EXPENSIVE crippling diseases) breeding them together will not magically make the diseases disappear, either. Dogs are all the same species. There is no such thing as "hybrid vigor". Two crappy dogs will produce only more crappy dogs.

If you can't find a purebred dog breed you love, keep looking. There is one for you somewhere on this planet.
          Then find a breeder who CARES that the dog you will love is born healthy and stays that way.

Good luck
          Randa

Randa

Comment

dane-o -doodles or podanes, Maybe dadooles! There we go. OP - I've known a few poodle mixes - a labradoodle and a cokcerdoodle ( or something like that - ) both had to be the dumbest animals I EVER met in my life. Drove the owners nuts. I'd keep looking ....good luck!

Comment

I live with a Lhasa Poo as I have mentioned previously.
              DIFFICULT is the word that comes to mind.

I had the opertunity to confer with THREE area dog trainers recently (for my Pitbull) and the chit chat was VERY interesting. ALL three, at different times, spontaneous mentioned they are now avoiding working with several breeds.
              I cracked up. They naming the SAME breeds!
              Any of the OODLES, any of the POOS. And "TeddyBears" (Bichon/Shih Tzus) were were mentioned too.

It could be the owners, it could be the breeds, and maybe its just a regional fluke. But interesting, none the less!

Randa
              Randa

Comment

OOH, Randa! That IS very interesting!
                June, Bumper (deaf & blind), Joey, Daisy, and Angel Ann (deaf)
                RIP Dakota Blue Moon
                Oct 27, 2006, Oct 01, 2012

"I'd tell ya...but I'd have ta lick ya"
                sigpic

Comment

Other than cuteness, what is making you consider a dane/poodle cross?? I only ask as it seems many people look at getting a poodle crossed with their favorite breed as they think they'll get the non-shedding trait from the poodle. The problem many of our friends are now having is that their goldendoodles, labradoodle, etc, still shed so they didn't get the main benefit that they were looking for out of that cross and basically have a cute mutt for which many are paying lots of money for (some more than a well-bred dog of their favorite breed). Many of the "cross" breeders don't tell you that it's pot luck whether you get the non shedding versus shedding, even with future generation crosses, and when you're picking the puppy, you may not know yet if you got one that sheds or not. Just another thing to consider.

Comment

Hi i am a groomer and they all shed and as randa said crappy with crappy equals crappy only byb do this for money and who knows if its really a standard poodle or a real great dane im sure they do not have this great pedigree to show you.by the way i have great danes and i also show a standard poodle and it just makes me sick sorry.

cheryl

Comment

Why pay top dollar for a mutt that you can get from your local shelter for a $75 adoption fee???

Logan
                      sigpic
                      Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
                      Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
                      www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Okay-
                        I spent ten minutes correcting the innacuracies of your post before I gave up and deleted my reply.
                        You obviously have just cut and pasted parts of your post together because the FSS registration has nothing to do with mixes and the rest was hilarious.

Good luck with your new dog.

Randa
                        Randa

Comment

And the entire three paragraphs of her post are copywrited by By Dr. Diane Levitan, Center for Specialized Veterinary Care and "New York Tails, a Magazine for Pets and People in New York",.

Even worse than the copyright infringement is iko-iko's failure to plagarize the remainder of the article which deals with the pros and cons of designer dogs in a balanced fashion.

mp

Comment

They are still mutts. If you want a mutt(and there is nothing wrong with them. Just as loving and great as any purebred) go to a shelter or rescue. There are thousands of these dogs put down everyday. Not to mention all the purebreds.

Rocky

Linda

Jesse: 7/1998-4/2007

http://sites.centralpets.com/mammals.../personal.html

DOL Gallery:

http://www.gdohosting.com/dolforum/showgalle
                            Linda and Rocky
                            sigpic
                            Jesse 1998-2007
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGVBbjuLUGM
                            Harley 1998-2002
                            Breeze 1973-1982

Comment

Ok...

1.) IMHO...I cant figure out why anyone would want a poodle, ever. Mix or purebred. (Personal opinion, obviously)

2.) People get kind of annoyed when I casually explain to them how it is a bad idea to crossbreed dogs for sleazy monetary gain.

3.) People also get quite annoyed when I explain to them how their poochan, goldendoodle (where does that second 'd' come from????), puggle, teddy bear, yorkiepoo, etc... is a MUTT. Plain and simple, MUTT.

I just cannot figure out how people are selling these poor dogs for several hundred dollars apiece.

(I figure I can be a little cocky, being that I have the "Apollo of dogs" :P :P :P )

Comment

Working...
                              X