inverted vulva

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inverted vulva

This is my first thread. I am concerned with my female harlequin with an inverted vulva (10 months old). She has not had any vaginal infections. There are 2 solutions: wait until first heat , it may pop out or vaginoplasty? Anyone had this problem? My GSD at 12 years had it and her last year was sad. It was swollen and weeping and was on antibiotics as well as creams and sprays. I do not want my baby to go thru that. Any advise?

I believe that the best option is to let it fix itself. If she has had no infections then you have had no negatives. IF after her first heat its still an issue perhaps it could be fixed when she gets fixed
    ~Melissa

Comment

If this is the same as "infantile vulva", my female Labrador has this. We opted to wait rather than do surgery, but did not want her to go through a heat due to an increased risk of breast cancer if she did. I believe this increased risk to be specific to Labs. We spayed her at 9 months, her genitalia never changed.

She has only had one UTI her entire life and she is 8 years old.
      When she was a puppy I would clean her up with a very mild vinegar and water solution to prevent yeast, per the vet. No problems so far!
      sigpic
      Second hand dogs = first class love!

Comment

one of my old co workers has a basset mix with the same issue, but she was constantly having infections and was miserable. they opted to do the surgery to correct it and are super glad that they did, the infections stopped and their dog wasnt on antibiotics constantly.

if you arent having issues i would say dont worry about it as long as you are keeping it clean. was it the vet that said if she went through heat it would pop out?
        sam: mom to 2 danes (Romeo/mantle merle and Daegan/fawn), and Cora, the ragdoll kitty.

"inside every Great Dane is a puppy just longing to climb into your lap"

Comment

Thanks. Suggested by breeder and vet.

Comment

My six year old dog has this and has never had a problem. Now my new dane puppy has this also. I just clean daily or whenever it looks dirty with a fragrance free baby wipe that I wet a little more with warm water. We are waiting for one heat to see if it corrects itself if not we will do the gastroplexy and fix the vulva at the same time to avoid anesthesia twice. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by withersphy View Post
              This is my first thread. I am concerned with my female harlequin with an inverted vulva (10 months old). She has not had any vaginal infections. There are 2 solutions: wait until first heat , it may pop out or vaginoplasty? Anyone had this problem? My GSD at 12 years had it and her last year was sad. It was swollen and weeping and was on antibiotics as well as creams and sprays. I do not want my baby to go thru that. Any advise?
              Personally I would spay her now and let it be. If she is not having any problems, I wouldnt look for any or assume she would have any in the future.
              Carolyn
              Divine Acres Great Danes
              Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X