Anyone heard of a "Thunder-vest"??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone heard of a "Thunder-vest"??

I know I have talked about my older dog Midas and his fear issues. My trainer and I are working with him. But sometimes in the middle of a training session something will scare him. And that is it. Once he is scared he shuts down compleatly. To the point that he isn't even interested in treats (and he is a TOTAL food driven dog). Today, we don't even know what scared him. Neither of us could pin-point the trigger, but we both saw him shut down. My trainer suggested a "thunder-vest". I googled it... IDK it seems kinda silly. But I am willing to do ANYTHING to make my Midas-man more confident. Anyone used one? Anyone had sucsess with one??
    sigpic

I have not personally, but know people who have...and it does work. Tellington touch also uses similar principles in wrapping for fearful dogs.

Comment

Jazz was very successfull with her thundershirt! It was the only way to get into the pet stores without a very unhappy dog! With the thundershirt on she was amazing, and even played in the store. This is also how she got over (90%) her fear of men/strangers. She is much more confident when wearing it and would walk up to them to get pet or treats. I had weaned her out of it. I am starting it back up again due to some other circumstances. If you search the archives I have a thread on thunder shirt. I think I also have a coupon for 10% off if you need it

Emily
      sigpic
      Emily
      Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
      Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
      Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

Try just a tight t shirt, might help and won't cost you much.

Comment

I use a thunder shirt on Apollo. I thought it was silly too, but it does seem to help somewhat with his fear of thunder. He is still scared but he doesn't tremble with it on.
          "The human language, as precise as it is with its thousands of words, can still be so wonderfully vague"....Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzandcompany View Post
            Jazz was very successfull with her thundershirt! It was the only way to get into the pet stores without a very unhappy dog! With the thundershirt on she was amazing, and even played in the store. This is also how she got over (90%) her fear of men/strangers. She is much more confident when wearing it and would walk up to them to get pet or treats. I had weaned her out of it. I am starting it back up again due to some other circumstances. If you search the archives I have a thread on thunder shirt. I think I also have a coupon for 10% off if you need it

Emily

I am sorry, I didin't think to look back and see if another thread had been started on this. It was very informative.

I think I will at leaste give it a try.
            sigpic

Comment

I haven't personally used one with Milly, but a friend of ours(another Dane owner) has and swears by it. Milly seems to be over her fear stage, but if it should come up again I will try one out. I feel for you...I remember thinking I had the biggest "scaredy" on the block. Every tall person, every motorcyclist that passed our car, and every statue set her off. She would act skittish, jump back and bark.

~Jeanne, Jason & Emily(6)-The Humans~
              Milly-Harl GD,
              Tank, Tigra Cougie & Jax-The Cat Crew
              www.valparasiokennelclub.com

Comment

The theories behind the thunder vest are based on the calming affects of deep pressure. As a COTA and a therapeutic riding instructor I use these theories in my work every day. The theory is sound. A similar item is on the market for children with Autism called a Bear Hug or something like that. I used one at one of my clinical affiliations with good success. Good Luck!

Comment

The local new in Cleveland doing a thing on the Thunder-vest tonight. Here is a link to the station website..

www.woio.com

Ok i cannot get the link working but this is their site...

Just think it is funny that they are doing this ...

Comment

We put a tight shirt on leeloo every time we know a storm is coming, I thought it was crazy at first but it works amazingly. I have gotten a few family members doing the same with their dogs and they have had the same great results. I wouldn't pay for anything fancy, a snug human shirt has worked fine for us. I believe i read some where it has to do with the static charge in the air during a storm, but i cannot confirm that.

Comment

I know a lot of people who have success with the Thunder coats. We don't have one but I have wrapped Bumper with ace bandage (lol, need big fat wad of it!) for the calming effect.
                      June, Bumper (deaf & blind), Joey, Daisy, and Angel Ann (deaf)
                      RIP Dakota Blue Moon
                      Oct 27, 2006, Oct 01, 2012

"I'd tell ya...but I'd have ta lick ya"
                      sigpic

Comment

too many years ago to count, i used a tight tee shirt on my siberian husky during thunder storms. it worked like a charm. i've never had occasion to use one on any of the danes. their "fear" of thunder is much less since i started using my happy voice during storms and popping a tasty treat in their mouths whenever it thundered. now, they just hang out with me in the house during storms and look around for treats every time it thunders.

if you google "anxiety wrap for dogs" you will see the principle behind the tight tee shirt. much less expensive and always worked just as well for me!
                        [SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                        X