Home Insurance for the Great Dane owner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Insurance for the Great Dane owner

We switched home owners insurance because we were looking for a cheaper rate. There are lots of companies that wouldn't cover us because we own a Great Dane. The one lady said it wasn't that they are dangerous, but that they are so big they could not someone over in your house and get hurt.
    Mom to Leonardo and Titus

We have to pay extra for dogs on our homeowners insurance. The insurance doesn't specify what breed of dogs, just dog in general. So far, they don't know we have dogs so .......shhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell!
    sigpicOwned by Brindle (8 yr old GD), Damage (Hay's Blue Ghost, 2 yr old GD), Katie (Wind River's Harley LadyRanger, 3 yr old GD) and Luna (10 yr old evil black cat).

Comment

I went through this when I bought a house and wanted to use the same company I had my car insurance with. I had a Dane and a Malamute, both of which were on the hit list. I ended up finding another company that didn't ding people for this with little effort, thankfully.

I know some of the companies make their "no dogs" list based on the national bite statistics, which are skewed towards the big breeds, not because they bite more often but when they do it results more often in doctor's visits, and the doctors have to report bites. The ankle biters attack more, but don't do the damage that results in reporting for statistics.
      *~Molly and Oakley~*

sigpic

Comment

My business is rental houses... I own a few.... and I also have a list of dogs that I WILL NOT rent to if the tennant has that particular breed. As long as these breeds are not in my homes... then my insurance rate is more or less affordable. My own personal home.... my agent has never asked me if I have a dog!
        sigpic

Comment

That is interesting. Our agent has never asked us either if we have a dog! I've never heard of that before.
          sigpic
          Not so sure of his new baby brother's stroller going on our walk - March 2013

Comment

I was asked by my insurance agent when I bought my house, but I didn't have a dog at the time. I asked him about Great Danes though, since I already had plans brewing. He didn't think they were on the insurance list, but he told me if I was ever asked that I should just have them mixed with something. Desi is a natural lab/dane mix and I guess Murray could be that Rhodesian Ridgeback that people seem to think he is. LOL!
            sigpic
            Lori, Desi & Grimm
            RIP my beloved Murray 5/17/07-09/13/12
            Join Boise Danes ... https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.ph...66337846714730
            Proud to be a Boise State Bronco!

Comment

My home owners insurance has no clauses about great danes - just no pits, rotties, etc . . .
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X