No announcement yet.

The Surgery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very happy to hear this update! I'm hopeful he continues to be the biggest PITA and comes home a happy boy! Will be thinking of Goofus this weekend!
    sigpic
    Crystal
    Owned by:
    Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
    CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
    Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
    Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

great new. I hope this is his last surgery. Hug him for me please.

Comment

You're all so kind, thank you.....then, you're all Dane People so you understand.

Dogtag

Comment

It sounds like good news for goofus. I'm sorry about your horse. I hope you get him home tomorrow.
          Rob

Comment

The good news is that the Goo Boy is home and safe in his bed. He is very happy about this, so I'm including some pictures.
            As a follow up, I will hope to describe what was done in further attempts to explain his condition and also to acknowledge the great care and expertise he obtained at Summit Veterinary Referral Center in Tacoma Washington.

Goofus's Surgery was performed by Dr Jerry Demuth, DVM DACVIM a Neuro Surgeon at Summit.
            He has done more successful "dorsal laminectomys" than anyone in the area.
            My Wife and I recommend him and his staff highly.

As many of you know, Goofus is suffering from Caudal cervical spondylomyelopathy, (Wobblers syndrome)
            According to experts, this is caused by a combination of vertebral malformation and inappropriate articulation of the vertebrae in the neck.

Left untreated, it's outcome is always the same.
            In recent years, a new type of surgery has provided relief and in some cases a dramatic extension of life and most important, Quality Life!!!

In Goofus case, he has had discs C2,C3,C4,C5,C6 and C7 modified to
            remove the stress to the spinal cord caused by the disc's malformation.
            The first surgery in June repaired C2 and C3 and this weeks surgery the rest mentioned. All in all, 6.5 hrs for the first and 8.5 hrs for the second.
            In other words, it was pretty major.

Although it's taken two radical surgeries to bring Goofus to the point where he has a fighting chance, we felt the risk was worth it. He is a very mild and affectionate dog and it just didn't seem fair to us that his life be cut so short.

In closing, I will resurrect this thread on occasion to let my Dane Friends know how Goofus is doing and update you with any medical changes.
            Although he is suffering some significant pain, it's not enough to slow him down when it comes to a good bone chew.

If this crappy disease presents itself in one of your Babies you couldn't
            go wrong consulting Dr Jerry at Summit.
            Just ask you Vet for a referral.

Pete
            Attached Files

Comment

Great update! Great to see him chewing on a bone already! I'm hopeful that his return to function includes no pain and mobility! Keep us posted!
              sigpic
              Crystal
              Owned by:

Comment

Wow, that is a long incision. Glad he is home & doing well. The last pic made me laugh.
                sigpic Brenda
                RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
                Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

More updates....

Well, here it is, December already and the Goo is doing very well.
                  Here is a recent vid of him walking and trotting.
                  Notice that he doesn't swing his rear legs out to the side when he walks any more.
                  Next week he gets to don his body harness and go for walks on the property.
                  He is still on Steroids so building muscle is difficult. It makes him look like he is starving when in fact he is consuming 10 cups of kibble and two cans of
                  dogfood per day, along with any thing he can steal.

As December goes on, he will be weened from the Steroids and he should start packing it on.
                  Got my fingers crossed... He seems more sure footed than he has been in the last year.

Dogtag

PS; He has always submerged his snout all the way to his eyes when he drinks. Weird!!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7peqZ1Vb478"]YouTube - Post Surgery, Dec 1st 2010.MP4[/ame]

Comment

He looks great!!!!I bet he would love to swim under water lol.

Comment

• He's looking really great! Glad to see things are improving!
                      sigpic
                      Crystal
                      Owned by:

Comment

• Wow, impressive! He looks wonderful! Very happy, sweet looking boy!
                        Makes me want to grab him and give him a big hug!

His coat is soooooo shiny and soft looking!
                        Carolyn
                        Divine Acres Great Danes
                        Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
                        sigpic

Comment

• [QUOTE=dogtag;629118]
                          PS; He has always submerged his snout all the way to his eyes when he drinks. Weird!!!![QUOTE]

I've never seen a dog put his nose under water to drink! That is hilarious.

He looks wonderful! I'm glad he is recovering so well.
                          sigpic Brenda
                          RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
                          Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

• Latest update for awhile....

Got clearance from his Surgeon to start playing and building back some muscle. He's already gained 16 pounds back and seems to be looking and acting more like a normal dog every day.
                            Hard to believe we had to carry his butt end in a sling to get him into the clinic just a few short months ago.
                            I don't know how much time we bought him but any amount is good enough for us.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_-QcaMGstY"]YouTube - Goo's Ball.MP4[/ame]

Comment

• I LOVE him drinking water!!!
                              How silly that he sticks his whole nose in!

Glad he seems to be doing well !!
                              Tracy Miller
                              sigpic
                              Be Kaptain's Facebook Friend!
                              Boston's Story Rest In Peace, Buddy! 11.14.2007-2.24.2011
                              Dog Food Advisor

Comment

• He looks so improved!! So glad for a happy outcome for the Goof!
                                sigpic
                                Crystal
                                Owned by:

Comment

Working...
                                X