Dachshund and Great Danes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dachshund and Great Danes?

There are a few members here that have both dachshunds and danes, right? What made you decide to get the two extremes? I think dachshund are adorable and, although I prefer big dogs, can see myself getting one at some point.

So, on average, how do the two types of dogs get along? Cooper is just so big that I would be a little afraid a small dog would get hurt. Are dachshunds playful?

If you have a different kind of small dog, please reply as well! I'm just wondering if a mix of having big and little dogs works.

Thanks!
    Cooper at 4 months
    sigpic

I don't have big and little dogs... rather big and medium sized dogs. However, my aunt/neighbor has several dogs or varying sizes. Pit bulls, Lab mix, terrier mix, and chihuahua. They all come over a lot and Kaiser (my dane) is awesome with the little chi. The chi however has an issue with Kaiser.

Comment

We have three small (2 cavaliers and a terrier) and Harley our GD. Not gonna lie they don't really get along great, well the three small ones are 7,8 and 11 and they don't want to play with Harley(19 months), they either tolerate or grumble at her most of the time. The youngest cav will sometime sit with her when shes quiet and give her a groom but thats about the height of affection! The cat pays more attention to Harley LOL! It might be different with ones of similar age, I dunno. We keep harley seperate from them when we're not at home cos she bugs them haha.
      sigpic

Comment

i don't have them any more but ashley lived with 2 corgis for a couple of years. not only did they get along, she and simon were inseparable.

we still miss our little buddy!
        [SIGPIC]

Comment

Aww thanks for posting those pictures! Too cute!

HarlequinHorror- yeah, I figured I would want to get around Cooper's age. He's only one year old, and although I don't plan on getting one anytime soon, I was looking at a rescue site and they're all 8+ years old.
          Cooper at 4 months
          sigpic

Comment

We have Danes and one Toy Fox Terrier--he is the youngest at 1 year, my danes are 4 and 1 1/2 years. They all get along great. If you don't know what a TFT is they are very small dogs. 10 inches tall and about 7 pounds. I have to say my danes are well socialized (show dogs) and well trained so it wasn't ever really a concern getting the little guy.
            Meg
            AeroDanes

Comment

Originally posted by Keeps View Post
              There are a few members here that have both dachshunds and danes, right? What made you decide to get the two extremes? I think dachshund are adorable and, although I prefer big dogs, can see myself getting one at some point.

So, on average, how do the two types of dogs get along? Cooper is just so big that I would be a little afraid a small dog would get hurt. Are dachshunds playful?

If you have a different kind of small dog, please reply as well! I'm just wondering if a mix of having big and little dogs works.

Thanks!
              We have both and yes, they get along great. They play and have their moments like any other mix might have. Why the extremes........ Louann wanted a Dachshund and I said "No!" Guess who won?!!!
              sigpic

Comment

I would not recommend giant breeds with toy breeds...Just the logistics of it...Accidents can happen, even with the sweetest of giants.
                It can be done, but extra safety precautions will be needed...ie-separate yard time, keeping extra close eyes on them together.
                Toys are what I refer to as "one bite" dogs...Litrerallty all it takes. My friend had a chihuahua and a dane and they got along great...were best of buds. One day she was not watching them close enough, and the chi brought a tug toy up to the dane..The dane grabbed "his end", gave it a few quick shakes and the chi's neck was snapped in the process. Things happen. If I were ever to get a smaller breed of dog then a Dane, it would be something a bit more "sturdy"....Of course I do love the movie, "The Ugly Dachshund"...very cute.
                My old boss from one of my college jobs, had 11 wiener dogs!!!!
                All untrained, and un-socialized...Walking in his house was like attack of the hot dogs!...a beautiful million dollar lake home that smelt like pee &.
                Him and his wife were a bit "off" as we all used to joke.

~Jeanne, Jason & Emily(6)-The Humans~
                Milly-Harl GD,
                Tank, Tigra Cougie & Jax-The Cat Crew
                www.valparasiokennelclub.com

Comment

I have Preston who will soon be 6 (yorkie and maltese mix) and Jazz. Preston has always been my "grumpy old man" he was well socialized, just with other smaller dogs. He loved to play and chase with them, never a problem.

Preston had ever had a large dog in "his" home, only small dogs, when my sister lived with me. It wasn't immediatly a problem (well one that I immedicatly recognized ) When I broght Jazz home preston would climb on the couch/chairs etc. to look at her face to face--- now I realize not a good sign. He no longer can get as high as she is and it causes issues.

I have to watch them like a hawk because Preston is the evil one. He pushes boundries and is quite grumpy. His rules do not carry over from day to day. I knew today would be bad, first thing he did was charge jazz when I let him out of his crate and his has been quite barky. Sure enough, 10 minutes ago he lunged at Jazz and I had to yell for him to return to his crate to cool off before Jazz decides she has had enough or decides to play a little to rough.

I love both of my dogs dearly. Presto is also a rescue. I grew up with shepards so I was used to big dogs but for soem reason I decided a small dog would be easier while I was moving. If I did it over again, I would stick with the big dogs. I don't think that extreme of a difference mixes well one playful pounce and we are at the e-vet (been there for just that!)

Em
                  sigpic
                  Emily
                  Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
                  Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
                  Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

I grew up with Dachshunds. We never had one together with a Dane though. But my neighbors have 2 Mini Dachshunds who like to aggravate and get my dogs riled up.

Jasmine plays really well with smaller dogs and prefers them in most cases as she is scared of dogs her size until she gets to know them. Her best buddy is Circe a Rat Terrier.

I had a toy Manchester Terrier and 2 Italian Greyhounds years ago. The IGs were fine with the big dogs right up to their deaths from cancer and kidney failure. Ran, played, and was fine. The Manchester never learned to avoid the big ones and one day they hit him and paralyzed him. With steriods and crate rest I do believe he regained most of his abilities, but the vets office kept him and adopted him out since they didn't want to put him down like I requested. So that has always made me wary of small/big ones together. I think sturdier small dogs like JRTs, bigger Ratties like Circe (22lbs), standard Dachshunds, Corgis, etc. are better choice especially if you have an active large/giant dog. But again it does totally depend on the dogs. Gracie and Rikki the IGs were only around 10-12lbs and fine boned, but they were quick and agile and smart enough to avoid the big ones while running side by side.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I would want a standard dachshund rather than mini. Again, not looking to get another dog for a while but I'm definitely considering a dachshund.
                      Cooper at 4 months
                      sigpic

Comment

I have 2 Chihuahuas and Halpert. I tell people all the time I love my chis because they are mine, but if they weren't I'd hate em That is besides the point though.

If I were to have a smaller dog and dane pair in my life time again (ie once the Chis and Halp are all gone) it would be a larger smaller dog such as a Corgi (which I want!), something that while appears smaller is still studier, my Chis are somewhere under 4 and 6 lbs and are damn little monsters but thankfully Halp takes it all in stride. I still worry he will crush one of them in a playful mode, but they are fast and keep away from his feet. I am VERY aware an accident could happen at anytime. He was taught not to get on beds etc which are their safe haven, and they usually skirt the walls/furniture if they are moving around when he is up and about. They think they keep him in line - I guess they do - and he respects their needs. I wouldn't do it again (and if anyone wants two bratty, ehem I mean adorable Chis let me know ) but it works for us now.

(wont let me attach pics now so here are links)

Everyone practicing "leave it" This was Feb 2010 so Halp was about 9 months.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/quinnch...7623291316981/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/quinnch...7623291316981/

Phoebe "keeping him in check". Yikes!
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/quinnch...7622698963859/
                        sigpic Halpert at 28 months

Comment

I have a dane and a chihuahua. My dane is an unaltered 9 month old male, which we got at 4 months. My chihuahua is a neutered male and 5 years old, so he was here first. They get along great now, but when we first brought home Duke (dane), Tai (chi) did not like him that much. They didn't fight or anything, but he mostly ignored him or gave him a growl here and there. Now, they play a little bit (as much as they can...more like Tai plays with Dukes head) haha. For the most part they respect each other and mind their own. I can let them outside together no problem and don't have to worry about them playing too rough, because they really don't do that. I don't know, I know there are a lot of people who say it's a bad idea (and mostly it probably would be), but I have a good experience of it.

Last edited by Duke5954; 03-27-2011, 08:05 PM.

Comment

As you can see, I've got a few varying sizes here. Gunther and my two rat terriers get along great. He and Nigel play on occasion, Gunther has always been very gentle when playing with smaller dogs. Posey won't play with him, but cuddles with him quite a bit and when she goes into heat, she is in love with him (he could care less). She cleans his eyes every morning. He didn't like it at first, but now tolerates it.

All my dogs go outside together. Nigel is 15-16 lbs, Posey 9-10 lbs. Have they gotten stepped on? Sure. So have I.........lol. They learn to stay out of the way. Have they been seriously injured? No and I don't expect they will be. Posey hurt her back once when Gunther stepped on her running out the door (which he knows he's not allowed to do......running out the door, that is). She was fine after 2 days. She got a worse injury after getting stepped on by a standard poodle........and even then it was just a tail sprain, week of rest and she was fine. And that was her own fault for chasing the poodle. Being a terrier, she has no fear. She will stand on the outskirts of a group playing............but will see an opening and run in to get her two cents worth..........then run back out..........lol.

While I have no problems with my dog interacting, whether it be playing, eating together or going outside...............I might have more of a concern with a dachshund. Only b/c of their propensity for back injuries. It wouldn't take much for a big dane foot to cause some damage, even just in play. Although maybe with a standard that wouldn't be as much of an issue, they are a bit more sturdy.
                            sigpic

Chris, mom to: Keiko--husky/shep mix (RIP), Gunther--great dane, Nigel and Posey--rat terriers, Pasta--cockatiel, Louigi--peach fronted conure, Hamlet--blue crowned conure

Comment

I have 2 danes, 2 dachshunds a pit and a chihuahua mix. The little dogs play fine with the big dogs and vice versa. When the little dogs have had enough they let the danes know and they back off. We only ever had one issue and that was a dog with a very high prey drive against a dog that barked nonstop at her.
                              sigpic
                              Michelle
                              Newton, Iris - Great Danes
                              Abby - APBT
                              Apollo, Jade and Angel - Miniature Dachshunds
                              Wilson - ChiX
                              RIP Buddy and Ginger ~ Doxies

Comment

Working...
                              X