Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Can Great Danes Live Outside??

Hello Scott,

I think you may have taken a wrong turn somewhere and somehow ended up here at DOL. This is a place where people care immensly about their dogs and consider them a part of the family (not just "a dog"). In my opinion, you dont seem to have the knowledge neccesary to make the statement you made in your last post to this thread since there was not a single good point.

BTW, who was the breeder who sold you a puppy knowing that she would be living/sleeping outside?

Ami and Tuesday and Lily (the dogs)

Comment

My dane lives outside, of course we are out with her 75% of the time. The other 25% is when she is asleep in the garage (heated). She is very happy. I think the main reason people keep danes inside is the socializing. Harley gets just as much as any inside dog would

Comment

My Danes and other pets live Inside with me NOT because they need socializing; ~ they live inside with me because they are my children.

If I were homeless, then I would live Outside with them.

~Bonnie~
        May ♥ The ♥ Paw ♥ Be ♥ With ♥ You!

Comment

Right on Merlequin!!!

Why even have a pet if you aren't going to treat it like a child. All our pets have always been inside. Wouldn't have it any other way.
          They want to be inside just like we wouldn't want to be outside all the time.

Linda, Dave, Jesse, and Kitties, Cassie, Pekoe, and Emma.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...name=yuccabean

Linda and Rocky
          sigpic
          Jesse 1998-2007
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGVBbjuLUGM
          Harley 1998-2002
          Breeze 1973-1982

Comment

Hello, pleading for your concern!

Traci, thanks for your nice suggestion, but I think that anyone who will compromise the health and well-being of their pets for the allergies of the family members should not own a dog (or cat) of any kind. Yes, some dogs (and cats) dont give off as much dander as others, but what if they turn out to do just that? Then the animal has to be disposed of...to a shelter of some kind, where the animal is probably too old at this time to be re-adopted and may very well be put to sleep. It is very sad for me to see all the 8-9 month old 'puppies' who come back to the Humane Society, where I work, that have to be put to sleep because of excuses like this!!!!

!!!if yourself or your children or husband/wife are allergic to cats/dogs.....THEN DONT GET ONE!!! Have all members of the family checked BEFORE you get a pet!!! If you dont take this responsibility, YOU may be sentencing the pet you pick...to certain death. Come on people! MAKE SURE that a pet will work in your family BEFORE getting one!

If I had a nickle every time I have cried because a pet didnt work-out because of "health problems"; YOU GET THEM AS A PUPPY, WHEN THEY ARE STILL ADOPTABLE!!!! YOU DECIDE IT CANT WORK ONCE THEY ARE 8 OR 9 MONTHS OLD.....not puppies, and sentenced to death, because they are no longer puppies!! DAMN, people!!! Do some RESEARCH! Get a Guinnea Pig or Gerbil!!! I just dont want to see the STUPIDITY of HUMANS anymore!!! WE KNOW BETTER THEN TO JUSTIFY THIS!!!

I know I am "preaching to the chior" here on DOL because you all feel my pain, but I am TIRED of crying for these poor babies, and I am tired of HATING these people who seal these babies fates!!!!
            :'( x( :-(

Ami :-(

Comment

Just like to add that Poodles are TOUGH dogs. ~ They love the H20, play hard, make excellent watch dogs (Standards esp.), R loving and affectionate, do not shed as you mentioned, don't make you sneeze and are great around other animals

Like other stereotypes about animals, and people for that matter, which are unfair and can come from ignorance (except about terrorists }> ), Poodles are viewed as chichi dogs that are spoiled and pampered, but, they can definitely add something special to a household because of the reasons I mentioned above.

Got 2 Danes and 2 Poodles.

~Bonnie~
              May ♥ The ♥ Paw ♥ Be ♥ With ♥ You!

Comment

As a child, I too, grew up with a poodle. He lived to be 17, when he finaly had to go. It was so hard on my mom, I swear she loved that dog more than her skin-kids. LOL
                Anyway, he was quite a bruiser. He loved to go down to the river, always brought home a prize, usually a river rat. He was one tough pooch, and by far, the smartest dog I've ever known. And oh so tolerant of all us kids. He would ride the horse with us, oh I could go on and on about him, so I'll quit now.

Pleasant memories of Cocoa......

Dawn

Comment

Danes are truely one of lifes most beautiful gifts. Please do not purchase a dane if it is to live outside.

Comment

>ok get a grip.. listen its a DOG. im sorry but my dog comes
                    >in the house when i am home and is outside when we are not
                    >home. And when the weather is warm he sleeps outside.. i
                    >mean give me a break, there is NOTHING NOTHING AT ALL wrong
                    >with having the dog sleep outside weather permitting. that
                    >is just a complete far left idea thinking that the dog HAS
                    >to sleep inside and if a breeder sells a dog that is going
                    >to live outside is IRRESPONSIBLE?????????????? what a
                    >ridiculous comment.. if the dog is allowed to sufficiently
                    >interact with people in or out thats what matters most! puh
                    >lease dont be so silly about calling a breeder irresponsible
                    >because he or she is selling to a family that will have the
                    >dog sleep outside.. my goodness.

I too realize that these are old posts but this is the first time I have seen this one and in all hopes of not being banned from the site for saying this, I just CAN'T resist!!! YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTE SCHMUCK, A COMPLETE IDIOT!!! And for the sake of all animals everywhere I hope that somehow it is impossible for you to acquire as much as a Goldfish because you of all people don't deserve it!!! And the only thing that could make me feel better about this would be saying it to your face!!!

Comment

"ok get a grip.. listen its a DOG. im sorry but my dog comes in the house when i am home and is outside when we are not home. And when the weather is warm he sleeps outside.. i mean give me a break, there is NOTHING NOTHING AT ALL wrong with having the dog sleep outside weather permitting. that is just a complete far left idea thinking that the dog HAS to sleep inside and if a breeder sells a dog that is going to live outside is IRRESPONSIBLE?????????????? what a ridiculous comment.. if the dog is allowed to sufficiently interact with people in or out thats what matters most! puh lease dont be so silly about calling a breeder irresponsible because he or she is selling to a family that will have the dog sleep outside.. my goodness."

I, too, am only seeing this post now. People who think that it's ok to keep your dog outside...chained to a 6 foot rope with nothing but a little "box" for shelter, because "it's just a dog" ought to try it themselves! I'd like to see this joker chained to a tree for 1 full day and night...how crazy would you go...there is no difference with a dog. There's nothing I hate more than someone who has a "pet" that they keep outside. It doesn't matter if you keep fresh food and water availabe...or if you let him off the chain once in awhile. The point is that a pet is supposed to be a companion. There is absolutely NO WAY that a dog-or any animal for that case can be happy with almost no human contact. If you don't want to keep a pet inside your house b/c it's too big, or too hairy, or your allergic, or for any other reason...then you shouldn't have a pet!!! If you think I'm being nasty...I am. Turn your televison on Animal Planet...watch the show Animal cops...you see people abusing their pets everyday...true, you personally might not treat your pet that bad, but your no different. I can't stress enough that if you don't want to treat your pet like a companion... then you don't deserve to have one. It's that simple.

Comment

AS we can state, the person who asked the question has probably left the forum and already had his mind made up, like you guys said, even before he wrote the post.

What is the point in getting a dog? To pay a lot of money and then leave it outside. Why get a dog when everybody who lives in the house is allergic and could probably not even tolerate the dog in the house for any amount of time.

I'm guessing to tell all his friends that he's a great person cause he's got a Dane!

I also figure that he'll end up in a rescue after about a 6 months cause he won't be able to control his dog anymore, it will probably have bitten someone and let's not forget that the dog will not have been bought from a responsible breeder, so trouble from the beginning.

Even building a kennel, having a warmed dog house, making a run but then what, leave the dog alone during day and nite, again what is the damn point in having a dog in the first place!!

Sorry this was long but the person should not have any type of dog.

Comment

My dane/rott mix lives outside. She sleeps/rests in the heated garage on an extra large doggie bed. When we are at school, if mom isn't working as a substitute, then she is outside in the garden with Harley. If she does have to work, then she can hunt on our 6 acre yard(she is smart enough to stay on our property). She comes in from time to time. I take about 1.5 hours a day to go outside with her and play fetch and "hunt" with her in the field. My dad also spends about an hour a day out with her. My sister on the other hand, is the biggest wuss in the world.

My point- under the right conditions, a dog can be happy outside.

Comment

Working...
                          X