Gastropexy Recovery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gastropexy Recovery

For all of you who have had the belt-loop gastropexy done on your danes, how was the recovery period? Maia was pexied last Friday and we have been keeping her VERY settled (mostly crated) since then with 10 minutes walks for the past 4 days. The vet said that she needs to have this very limited exercise routine for 10 days and then should be fine. From her behavior, you wouldn't know that she had major surgery only a week ago. In fact, the ONLY day she wasn't herself was the day she had the surgery. Is this approximately the same schedule that you guys have kept to? We were hoping to get her to the park for a good run or two on Sunday (which will be 10 days) to help her release her energy, and from her behavior i would think that will be fine. Do you think this is enough time for the connection between the stomach and abdominal wall to heal adequately? I'd hate for her to undue all this hardwork and money! My vet has done these pexies before, so I would assume that she's speaking from experience.
    sigpic
    Jazmin - Great Dane (June 15, 2011)
    Maia - Great Dane/Lab (Nov 2007)
    4 cats - Marvin, Koskie, Xander (Monkey), Alexa

Julius - Great Dane (adopted May 19, 2012, passed away June 20, 2012)
    Tiernan - Great Dane (Feb 13, 2008-Dec 28, 2011)[/I]

I don't have anything to offer...I just wanted to say that I am glad she is doing well
    sigpic
    www.rescuemetugz.com

Michele, Roscoe, Ava, Romeo, (RIP Daphne)
    http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=732e92418610139ae96918&skin_id=701&utm_so urce=otm&utm_medium=text_url
    Be part of the solution by not being part of the problem. NO BYB's!!

Comment

Two of mine had laparoscopic gastropexies. My senior acted a little sore and slowed down for a couple of days. At the opposite end of the spectrum, you'd never know my young'un had surgery. It was a struggle to stop her zoomies over the next week.

Guess it depends on the age of the dog, plus we went minimal incision which heals faster.
      Lissa's furkids: Jupiter (RIP), Merlot (RIP), Savannah, and Poet
      sigpic
      Visit them at: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/
      MAGDRL: http://www.magdrl.org/
      AKC CGC Evaluator #9661 since 2003
      Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

We didn't let Diesel off leash or do any stairs for 3 weeks.
        Mandi

Comment

Thanks Michele! Going well so far. Hope your new pup is doing well.

Joyable: The pup that recovered well, did you just restrict her for the one week, or longer than that?

Zoeys Mom: Our doctor didnt say anything about stairs.. I hope that's not a problem, cause we have about 10 stairs going into the backyard, and about 15 to get upstairs to the bedroom!

I'm really having alot of trouble finding information on recovery times for any type of canine surgery. Thanks for all the responses so far!
          sigpic

Comment

We have stairs going up to the bedroom also. I had to sleep on the couch with him for 3 weeks in the Living Room. Not that I did any sleeping.
            Mandi

Comment

This is what Diesel's recovery was like. (He also was neutered at the same time.) Feel free to laugh at my posts. I was a total wreck.

http://www.dolforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35540
              Mandi

Comment

Wow, Mandi. Sounds like you had a really rough couple of weeks! We haven't had any of those issues! Maia's appetite was huge the same day she came home from surgery and has not had any elimination issues either. She also hasn't needed any pain meds either and has not paid any attention to the incision in terms of liking. That's why its so hard for us to keep her cooped up, because you seriously wouldn't even know she had major surgery. I never even thought that the stairs would be a problem, the vet didnt mention it. I've also been letting her outside by herself off leash, but I never let her out with Tiernan. Her incision looks great already too, the bruising is gone and its scabbing very nicely. I just wonder if the adhesion on the inside is healing just as quickly. It's kind of good I guess that it was just the one surgery, cause she was spayed before she joined our family, so her body just needs to heal for the one thing. Maybe I won't let her do any rough housing or off leash for another week. As long as I can start taking her for longer on leash walks she should be more managable!
                sigpic

Comment

Our boy had pretty much the same reaction, after the first day, you wouldn't really know anything had happened, although every now and then you might tell that something got bumped a little in a sore spot so it too was interesting to try and keep him calm for recovery. Our vet gave us a rule of thumb as far as 10 days to 2 weeks, fairly calm, Then slowly ease into a little more activity but no playing with our other dogs for closer to 3 weeks to allow things to heal. He had also told us to keep an eye on the external incision and just generally use that as a guide as to how far the internal ones may have healed, then add a little time just to be sure. It did make for a rough month afterwards, just keeping him calm, but I'm glad we did it and now it's over for over 5 years with no problems.

Comment

Joyable: The pup that recovered well, did you just restrict her for the one week, or longer than that?
                    The laparoscopic procedure's recovery time is much shorter than traditional surgery, so we just kept her from ripping/racing for 5 days. Glad it wasn't longer -- it's tough to contain all that puppy energy!

Info on our experience with laparoscopic gastropexy is here: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/Lapro-Pexy.htm
                    Last edited by joyable; 11-22-2008, 08:06 AM. Reason: Added link to our Lapropexy experience.
                    Lissa's furkids: Jupiter (RIP), Merlot (RIP), Savannah, and Poet
                    sigpic
                    Visit them at: http://www.lissa.net/Joya/
                    MAGDRL: http://www.magdrl.org/
                    AKC CGC Evaluator #9661 since 2003
                    Feeding RMB since 2001

Comment

"Tummy Tuck"

I had my girl "fixed" at the same time that her tummy was tacked to the abdominal wall. She was 5 months old at the time. The incision was pretty big, but NO problems at all. It took most of my energy to keep her calmed down over the next few weeks. As someone else mentioned earlier, except for the day of surgery you wouldn't even know that she had anything done. As much as possible I kept her away from from her buddy (non GD dog). By the end of the second week she was running the stairs, taking flying leaps over the other dog, etc.

I think your baby is healing just fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X