Why are Geat danes on the cdc Dangerous dog list , Please Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are Geat danes on the cdc Dangerous dog list , Please Help

It been a long time since I've posted here.
    So to make a long story short My Husband and I have to Great danes
    Lilly who is 7 and Parker who is 3, and we have no other children and will mostly no be able to have them . So we though we would become Foster Parents ( for Humans), and every thing seemed fine till we got the call to day telling us that Great danes were on the Dangerous dog list . I'm confused as to why .
    Is It bad Breeding or bad owner's . I'm asking becouse we have to write up a reason at why we will not give up our dog. And telling them becouse we love them doesnt seem to be good enough .
    Lori

RE: Why are Geat danes on the cdc Dangerous dog list , Please Help

It mainly has to do with their size. A Great Dane bite can cause a lot more damage than the bite of a small dog.

One thing that might help is if you can obtain a CGC - [link:www.akc.org/events/cgc/program.cfm|Canine Good Citizen] - on your dog(s).

Bev
    Bev
    Foto Danes

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
    sigpic

Comment

Probably both, bad breeding and bad owners. A dog this size can do alot of damage when they bite. So, you have to choose between the dogs and the kids? I can see tho where they wouldn't want to place children in a home with dogs as large as the ones we have.

Comment

I am sure it is has to do exclusively with SIZE.
        Many people don't realize that biting is not the only thing that can make dogs dangerous.
        Readers of Dog World may remember- There was a lawsuit once with a Great Pyr that jumped on people. Owner didn't think it was a dig deal. A guy bent over to pet the dog in public and the dog jumped and caught him in the head and broke his jaw. The guy sued and won.
        Dogs than can easily knock people over, especially children are often considered dangerous.

Many people get a cold shock when applying for foster care OR have a custody fight. MANY agencies feel harboring large dogs, certain dog breeds, reptiles and almost any exotic pet (parrots) are poor choices for families with children regardless of the circumstances.

Be very frank with the agencies you are working with, and find out what the exclusions are, and how to best go about acheiving them.

Good Luck
        Randa
        Randa

Comment

We do have CgC's on both dogs, and we have been up front with them about our dogs. We never once lied about their size temperment , and both have been in training since they were both resued.
          Simply becouse we were not sure how they had been treated in their last homes'and we wanted to make sure they were safe and so were we .
          lori

Comment

I'm going to guess that their list is based on statistics. Don't know the source of these statistics, though.

At one point in time, Great Danes had killed more people than any other breed of dog. (This was before the Cane Corsa and some of those others became popular.) Don't know where the Pitbull fits in here, as they are not an AKC breed, so few are registered with the American Pit Bull organization (forget the actual name), and so many are crossbred.

Have your Danes been around children a lot?

Have they completed one or more formal manners or obedience classes?

Do either have a CGC?

Would you be willing to start intensive traiing with your dogs?

You might contact the CDC to find out just exactly how Danes got on their list and to make sure the Foster Children program in your state has an up-to-date list.

mp

Comment

Ok, I am going to make a snarky comment, I'm just having one of those days...

Did you know that lightning kills more people each year than dogs do? So I assume you can't adopt or foster children where it rains then?

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :P
              Mandi

Comment

Pit Bulls top the list Danes are #8 and from my study and Looking on line there has only been 6 bite's since 2000 and 3 of those they are saying were mixed breeds ( so they really dont know for sure if they really were danes or not. )
                Both Lilly and Parker have been through all traing we had though about service training Parker for my husband , but he doesnt need it right know and Yes Both Have their CGC.
                I guess what is really killing me here is they have know we had Great danes Since we sighned up since we had to provide them with all their records , and I do not know how you could guarantee that any dog wouldnt bite. I my self was bited by a dog when I was little , and I have to say if I was affraid of any of my Fur babys who live here I would give them to good home who could handle them.
                Also OUr Danes are very social animals and are around kids all the time , we have kids in our neiborhood who fight ove who get's to walk them . ( it's really cute ) see Keanna whos is 6 walk my 40inchs tall parker.
                lori

Comment

I found it interesting that any MIXES of the breeds listed were also listed. Exactly how were THOSE dogs idenified?
                  I would be curious if BITES are the only criteria. My father in law had to go in for stitches when his Rott pawed him in the face. Would that have been reported? hmmm
                  I'd start will calling the CDC...

R

Found this -
                  However, in the latest report available from the Centers for Disease Control on non-fatal dog bite statistics (2001), one does not find any reference to specific dog breeds involved. In fact, the CDC themselves warn that the bite statistics are unreliable because not all dog bites are reported, nor are all the breeds involved in the incidents accurately identified. The CDC states in the report that the latest comprehensive data of dog bite statistics is from 1994. The 1994 statistics state that more than 4.7 million people are bitten annually with more than 799,000 requiring medical treatment. Therefore, the supporters of BSL are citing statistics that are over 12 years old at best and unreliable at worst.

Randa

Comment

So the Foster Parents people sent you a copy of their list? What was the source.

Seems you could send them photocopies of your dogs' CGC certificates. Many insurance companies accept CGC certificates as evidence of good behaviour.

Wonder if this sort of thing happens if one tries to adopt a baby?

mp

Comment

NO they did not send me a copy of anything they called me and told me this info , this was all part of the home study , and to be honest if we were doing straight adoption they most likely would not care , but since they will be paying us they feel they have the right to ask us to bend over and kiss our own butts< and the truth of the matter they do becouse they hold the cards.
                      And My ins. has never asked me about my dogs.
                      Lori

Comment

I find it very interesting that danes are on the list. I read an article published by a vet school that did research into this topic and basically their findings were that smaller breed dogs were the dogs actually doing the majority of the biting, but that people don't report those bites because they don't do as much damage as a large breed.

I just find it really sad that this is the case. Personally, I've experienced far more aggression and bites from smaller breed dogs than I ever have from giants breeds.

Comment

Oh, you might be surprised.
                          Indiviual agencies AND countries have their own set of rules (China just nixed adoptions to obese parents and people who are single).
                          R
                          Randa

Comment

Playing devil's advocate here. The foster care folks may be concerned not really because of the dogs themselves, but rather for the children that may make their way into your home with your dogs.I'm guessing that they are using this list just as a govt "guideline". Often, foster children have issues(abuse, neglect, etc.). When mixed with a larger breed dog could turn into a problem (which may have been the case in the past which has caused the agency to make these rules to begin with)For example, what happens if they place a child with you that is deathly afraid of dogs? Do you send the child back? Or you are given a child that has come from a background where animals were routinely abused? What happens if they try to hurt your dog? or the dog bites the child because they are hurting it? I'm sure they have to take these things into consideration.

Anyway, it takes a very special folks with very big hearts to open your home to foster children. You should be commended. I wish you and hubby the best of luck.
                            sigpic
                            In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
                            Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

I spoke with a lady at the cdc who said they no longer refer to breeds when they do bite study , simlpy becouse with out a Dna test to verfi the breed they can not be sure , and as for kids who would abuse my dogs or cats , I'm sorry They would have to find them a a better fiting home. ( just as I wouldnt let my dogs or cats harm a child I will not let a child harm my dogs.).
                              Lori

Comment

Working...
                              X