No announcement yet.

Hod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you changed his food? If not, change it to something with less than 21% protein. I know this won't be popular but I know many people who have put an HOD dog on Science Diet adult and they have recovered better than on any other food. The phospherous/calcium ratio of the SD is lower than most other foods.

Regardless of what you pick, change the food now.
    Nancy
    Calico Rock Danes
    Alabama

Comment

I have done that, thank you for your advice!!

Comment

Pic...

This is how he has resorted to sitting now...on his back with his back feet going up...kind of rocking.[IMG]

Comment

Poor baby. I hope he gets better really soon.
          sigpic
          Heather and Sir Duke; Texas

Comment

What did you change his food to?
            Nancy
            Calico Rock Danes
            Alabama

Comment

I went to the Giant Breed holistic Eagle

Comment

While Eagle Holistic is a premium dog food, it is still higher in protein than what I would give a dog with HOD. Why did you select that food?
                Nancy
                Calico Rock Danes
                Alabama

Comment

Our vet recommended it since he was already on Eagle puppy, He thought staying within the same brand would be easier on him. Not a good choice?

Comment

This isnt about keeping him on the same brand.......this is about LOWERING THE PROTEIN.........NOW!!

Not to many other ways to say this, and its been said by almost everyone who has posted to this thread. This dog needs to be on a food that is no more than 21% protein.
                    Carolyn
                    Divine Acres Great Danes
                    Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
                    sigpic

Comment

I guess with the Great Dane Lady and Blackwatch program and the advice from the vet I thought I was doing the correct thing...

Comment

Ultimately you need to do what you think is best and if following the suggestions of Linda Arndt and your vet is what you want to do, than thats what you need to do.
                        Best of luck with your boy!
                        Carolyn
                        Divine Acres Great Danes
                        Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Forcefulrain View Post
                          I guess with the Great Dane Lady and Blackwatch program and the advice from the vet I thought I was doing the correct thing...

The vinegar/honey tonic is just that..a tonic, NOT a cure. As Rimadyl is
                          just a pain killer..NOT a cure.

Did you read the link that Humbug posted to You?? If not here it is again...
                          http://www.doglogic.com/hod.htm Please read the entire article. Hazel
                          Gregory is a very long term Dane owner and breeder and has probably
                          forgotten more about the breed then most vets will ever know.

What is the protein level of the holistic Eagle...that's the problem here,
                          protein. Have you contacted the breeder and what {if anything} did
                          they advise??

Dee

Hazel's contact info..
                          Good Luck and God Bless. HAZEL GREGORY, 647 Private Rd 2706, Aubrey, Texas 76227, (940) 365-2431
                          { I'm hoping that is still a *good* phone
                          number.}
                          sigpic

Comment

I am so sorry that he has relapsed, but I was afraid this would happen. That is what is so insidious with this disease. They feel better and then, BAM, back to square one.
                            Did you talk to your vet about the mediine and antibiotic protocal I sent to you? This could take weeks/months to clear up.
                            Mimi
                            www.saravillagreatdanes.com
                            Mimi Kim
                            Saravilla
                            www.saravillagreatdanes.com
                            Secretary Great Dane Club Western PA
                            Dane Connection Rescue Chair

Comment

Would you consider homeopathic treatment? I just went thru HOD with a 4 month old female Dane (Katie, the blue merle in the pic) and she was treated and is recovering beautifully!
                              Maggie, with Rufus, Oliver (deaf), Mickey, Katie

Comment

Sending positive thoughts for your boy. I would seriously consider the advice given in this thread as far as the protein levels.

Cheryl, Boca and Maddox
                                Boca & Maddox http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2131332304

In loving memory of Mufasa & Anubis
                                http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287652173

Comment

Working...
                                X