Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge tumor on front leg

Hi,

This is a 5 year old male Dane sitting in Jackson County Shelter and in need of rescuing. My rescue organization is looking into helping but is seeking information on the dog's medical condition and potential outcomes.

Anyone have experience or know of outcomes?

Last edited by DPU; 10-20-2012, 07:11 AM.

that looks like bone cancer, esp with the over all wasted condition of his body. seems PTS would be kindest option since dog doesn't look that young and likely amputation may be only option, cancerous tumor that big would also indicate it has spread as his condition is so poor likely it has spread to his lungs.
    If he has low appetite it is likely cancer and he feels bad.
    Of course if it is something non cancerous his outcome could be good.

Comment

I agree. If it's part of the bone, I think it would be kindest to PTS.
      Julie
      Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
      RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
      Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue Volunteer www.thegreatdanerescue.com
      sigpic

Comment

Aw geez... poor guy...
        I’m guessing the shelter hasn’t x-rayed? Would be more reliable to guess at outcomes if you could see if the mass was connected to the bone or not.

I hope your rescue decides to pull him regardless. It could be a simple removal of the mass and some groceries will give this dog several more good years.
        Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
        - Anatole France

Comment

Too bad we can't remove the tumor of a human who let him get that bad and then dumped him for someone else to take care of.
          Julie
          Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
          RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
          Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue Volunteer www.thegreatdanerescue.com
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ouesi View Post
            Aw geez... poor guy...

I hope your rescue decides to pull him regardless. It could be a simple removal of the mass and some groceries will give this dog several more good years.
            in a way it seems it souldn't be so isolated to the elbow if it was bone cancer, so I hope they do decide to get him out for an x-ray too.

Comment

Because the leg directly before the mass looks normal I would guess it's not bone cancer. That dog would be very, very sick if he had bone cancer that advanced, and the leg itself would be more swollen looking close to the mass.

Literally could be anything. A biopsy would be the only way to tell.

Comment

Poor old man, his body just looks so sad
                My little Bogartsigpic

Comment

Good Lord...that is absolutely heartbreaking! Don't know if this is much help, but we lost our dane to bone cancer in her "shoulder." It was no where near that size...and the pain was excruciating! Her case progressed really fast from a slight limp around Christmas Eve to intolerable pain January 18th (when we made the decision to let her be at peace and painfree.) Her "shoulder" started to protrude and it was non weight bearing. I can't imagine that poor boy's torture. That just pisses the $hit out of me!!!

I pray you can help him....love him good!
                  sigpic

Comment

Update?
                    --Vickie--
                    sigpic

Deacon - Harl born 2-10-09
                    Noodle - Black born 7-4-09

Comment

Sent a message on Saturday to the rescue group to inquiry about the dog's history and see if the emaciated state is due to neglect. Also let them know I would give financial support for possible biopsy of tissue and xrays. Got a response tonight from rescue group saying no message or update. Possibly dog was rescued or PTS. I'll call the shelter tomorrow.

Comment

Rescued by the Illinois Doberman Rescue. A donation is on its way to help defray the cost of the testing.

Comment

Sad news. Test showed spindle cell cancer and cancer spreading throughout him. They say he was so weak could hardly stand. The rescue humanely PTS'ed the poor guy. RIP Dane with no name, I weep for you.

Comment

RIP precious...run pain free.
                            sigpic
                            www.rescuemetugz.com

Michele, Roscoe, Ava, Romeo, (RIP Daphne)
                            http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=732e92418610139ae96918&skin_id=701&utm_so urce=otm&utm_medium=text_url
                            Be part of the solution by not being part of the problem. NO BYB's!!

Comment

Damn... Run free and play hard, handsome big boy. We all loved you .
                              For some reason this one really got to me.

Teresa
                              Teresa
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X